Thinking about kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummerboyas157

Reaction score
So i have bottled a few batches and have to say bottling has worn me out. I am hoping kegging will be less work since there is less to sanitize no capping etc, is this true? I read a couple overviews of kegging and was wondering if I want to carb naturally do you need to have a co2 tank still? I know force carbing you need it but is there any way you can do it without one? I am short on money right now and want to get into it slowly to see if i like it. Any suggestions?

You can naturally carbonate in a keg, but you'll need a CO2 tank setup to be able to dispense it.

Ideally you'd want to have a C02 tank because once you rack the beer to the keg, C02 is then used to pressurize the keg which helps seal the lid. It is also good to purge the headspace to replace the air in the keg with C02. Both of these apply even when naturally carbing with priming sugar.

This weekend was my first experience kegging, and I loved it. Sanitizing and cleaning were very simple, read through the FAQ Sticky about kegging. I am force carbing instead of natural. You have the initial investment of around $160, but then really the only recurring cost you could have is CO2.

20 minutes tops to keg a batch and 60-75 to bottle a batch. Personally I will continue to do both, though I must admit I smile a little when I realize I will be kegging this batch instead of bottling.

If you naturally prime with sugar, one slightly cheaper option is to dispense with the keg charger system (~$20-25), usually used for kegging on the go. You will probably need 4-6 of the 16 gram cartridges to dispense one keg. About a buck a piece. After dispensing 3-5 kegs worth, you will be wishing you had just bought the tank first. If you were planning on buying a keg charger later on, this might get you kegging cheaper on the front end.

So I bought my keg setup. Should be here in a week or so. I am excited!

If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up going with for a keg setup? I'm fairly new to homebrewing, and have just started researching all of the different options...

That is great! I really like my set-up from Bev Factory, and I have been enjoying my beer fresh from the tap.

Just a heads up: I had to replace all of the O-rings, the kit comes with a set and it was really easy.

Nice, looks like a good pick. I'm keeping my eyes open for a conversion-compatible mini fridge. Let us know how it turns out!

I would HIGHLY recommend kegging your beer. This is the only wat IMO to go. I bottled for long enough and once I converted, I will never go back. Bottled a batch for Christmas and hated it. I like being able to sanitize the keg and just siphon set and forget for about a week and then enjoy. I started out using a picnic faucet up until last week. I finished my kegerator and love being able to walk 5 feet to fill my glass. :mug:

Back