Thinking about All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NhBrewer1972

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the forum with a (probably) dumb question.
I've been extract brewing for a few years now, considering getting into All Grain brewing. I'm concerned with potential contamination if using a propane burner outside. Has anyone had issues with bugs, debris etc getting into the wort? If so how have you prevented it aside from keeping a cover on the kettle? I live in a pretty rural area with plenty of trees around. Just wanted to pick your collective brains to get your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

I brew outside on my deck. I'm in a suburban area, but there are lots of trees around. I've never had an issue with bugs, debris, etc. getting into my kettle during the boil. If they did, I'd just fish them out. I wouldn't worry about contamination, because the boiling will kill any nasties. I do cover my kettle with the lid during cooling. That's worked out fine so far.

I wouldn't worry about contamination, because the boiling will kill any nasties. I do cover my kettle with the lid during cooling.
That! ^

When transfering from the kettle to your fermenter, sanitize (Starsan!) everything that touches your chilled wort well and keep your fermenter covered as much as possible.

Use fresh, clean tap water for brewing, not the water from your garden hose! But it's fine for running through your chiller. Double check and secure your chiller's water connections well (use clamps!). Hoses get hot and pliable and slip off at the most inopportune moment.

Put a windshield around your burner to prevent the flame and heat from being blown sideways. Maybe put a shield up for your kettle too. Cold breezes can chill your kettle as fast as you can heat it.

Use an old blanket or sleeping bag to wrap around your kettle when you use it for the mash (e.g., BIAB). No flame!

fwiw, I brewed on our decks for years. Dry weather: upper level. Wet weather: lower level - under a tarp laid on the upper level.
Never had any real issue - I did quickly learn to lid the kettle when chilling with an IC and using a towel to cover the gaps lest the bees/wasps/hornets get too curious and end up in the brew, but that was pretty much it wrt drama...

Cheers!

I tried brewing outside once and hated it. It was literally the worst brew day I've ever had. Forget the propane. But yourself an all in one electric system and brew inside. You'll never regret the decision.

I tried brewing outside once and hated it. It was literally the worst brew day I've ever had. Forget the propane. But yourself an all in one electric system and brew inside. You'll never regret the decision.
Outdoor brewing can be wonderful, and sheer hell other times, yes!
Mosquitos drove me inside, bought a 3500W induction burner, and never looked back to brew outside after that, unless it's some outdoor brewing event, such as Big Brew. Much cheaper too than propane.

I have 3 silver maples next to my deck and lots more through out, so in the fall when I brewed outside( did the 3500 w induction in basement) I made a few helicopter IPA's. So, yet another use for BBQ tongs! Just think of the cool names.....hornet helles, Bite Me Saison, ect.

I just started AG, now with my second batch in the fermenter. Plan on spending a lot more time on the process (at least, that has been my (limited) experience so far). I read that AG was almost the same as extract, so I jumped in. Oh, you'll need to be more careful of Ph (buy a meter, have a water analysis done). Oh, temperature is critical (buy a thermometer and modify a water cooler). Recommendations: Don't start late in the day (maybe even before noon). Do it in a location where you could use a high pressure sprayer (like at a car wash) for clean up. Next, I plan on getting kegs (I hear it's easier than bottling!).

I don’t worry too much about it. I’ve had bees take the ultimate sacrifice, Just fished em out. I was shocked to hear what amount of critters are allowed in processed foods.

Keep your lid off during boil, and just standby with a spoon as you watch for boil overs.

My only regret in brewing was not going electric from day 1. The Anvil is the best purchase to date.

I have a burner, have not used it yet, apt I used to live in didn't allow grills gas or charcoal. So I do 99% of my 3 and 5 gallon AG batches on electric stove top no problems. I have an induction burner I've used a few times but I don't mind stove top, works well enough for me. Plus where I live in michigan pollen and dogwood floaties are unreal, constantly killing the air quality. I've just gotten used to stove top brewing I guess. To each his or her own!

I’ve brewed out side for 6 almost 7 years very frequently and I’ve never had a contamination in my brew. I now brew in my garage with the side door and main car door open with a fan to blow off carbon monoxide from my direct fire burner and still haven’t had issues. I spray my book kettle lid with starsan then put it on the kettle to steam sanitize the last 5 minutes of my boil to help I guess. The lid doesn’t sit snug because my immersion chiller and my pump hose are in the way. So yeah I wouldn’t worry too much.

I just started AG, now with my second batch in the fermenter. Plan on spending a lot more time on the process (at least, that has been my (limited) experience so far). I read that AG was almost the same as extract, so I jumped in. Oh, you'll need to be more careful of Ph (buy a meter, have a water analysis done). Oh, temperature is critical (buy a thermometer and modify a water cooler). Recommendations: Don't start late in the day (maybe even before noon). Do it in a location where you could use a high pressure sprayer (like at a car wash) for clean up. Next, I plan on getting kegs (I hear it's easier than bottling!).

I moved to AG after just one extract brew... BIAB. I'm giving advice to a friend now who is getting into it.

The real difference is /potential/. With AG, you have /potential/ to polish a lot of variables. That said, you don't need to. Don't over do it, and have fun, and as you polish your process, just add one more thing at a time.

I made great beer for years without ph adjustments or meters, or water adjustments. Or a chiller. Every step my beer has gotten better as I add things, but it's not absolutely needed.

enjoy!!

I moved to AG after just one extract brew... BIAB. I'm giving advice to a friend now who is getting into it.

The real difference is /potential/. With AG, you have /potential/ to polish a lot of variables. That said, you don't need to. Don't over do it, and have fun, and as you polish your process, just add one more thing at a time.

I made great beer for years without ph adjustments or meters, or water adjustments. Or a chiller. Every step my beer has gotten better as I add things, but it's not absolutely needed.

enjoy!!
That's been my problem. I've had to force myself to change just one variable at a time, so that I know the effect. If you change multiple things between brews, you have no idea what made your beer better, and what had no (or negative) impact.

...Has anyone had issues with bugs, debris etc getting into the wort? If so how have you prevented it aside from keeping a cover on the kettle? I live in a pretty rural area with plenty of trees around....

Like you I live in a fairly rural area. I enjoy brewing outside, looking at all the beauty in the trees, mountains, and sky.

Don't worry about bugs and things getting into your wort. The grain you start with is an agricultural product, it can contain small amounts of insects and dirt. Don't worry about it. The boil will pasteurize everything that's in the kettle.

Just follow standard cleaning and sanitizing practices and you'll be fine. As others have said, covering the kettle is a good idea after the wort is chilled. I let the wort get down to 140F or so before I put on the lid.

Same as above. Brew under house eve and sit in garage w/ double garage door open with friends and bs during brew days. Add chiller coil last 10 minutes of boil and throw lid on only lifting for flame out hops and lid stays on all the way up to transferring to ferm

I brew outside in my driveway and garage. I like it more than inside. Im not worried about spills or messes, just hose it all down when im done. I think cleaning is easier outside too.
That being said, I have a friend getting into brewing and I'm suggesting electric for him. His unfinished basement is the perfect place for indoor brewing. Fermenters stay close by (no carrying of heavy vessels), and HVAC for comfort. I guess it depends on your set up too. I recommend thinking about getting wort from brewery to fermentation easily and go from there.

I brew outside in my driveway and garage. I like it more than inside. Im not worried about spills or messes, just hose it all down when im done. I think cleaning is easier outside too.

This is what I do for the same reason. Plus my counterflow wort chiller runs off garden hose water and the hot water discharge wouldnt have anywhere to run off. Just makes it easier and more of a care free day.

honestly i never watched the show.....

i think i might have turned on the pilot and turned it off when he had that argument with the 'other' dope dealer, about controlling the supply...knew it wasn't for me...

I got my dad into it and asked him months later what episode he was on...he said he stopped watching. I asked him why, and he told me that he lost interest when Walt began lying to his wife...haha. I asked, that's what turned you off about the show??? Not the body decomposing in the acid bath and falling through the ceiling? He's funny like that.

Back