Things Your mother didn't tell you about brewing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stik9yne

Reaction score
I survived my first brew, YOU CAN TOO!

Things for new brewers I learned right off the bat that you didn't know!

Racking canes rock, but they WILL spray you in the face when you least expect it!:mad: AND THE CEILING

3 hands are always better than 2! yes, this was another racking incident, no, I wasn't drinking..... :drunk:...........at the time my 2 hands were full!

Any other funny off the wall tips out there??

my 2 cents, do your first one sober and train on the cane!

Always, Always, Always check to make sure the spigot on the bottling bucket is closed before siphoning. Since the spout is about 3 inches off the bottom of the bucket, it doesn't start pouring out right away. You might just walk away to continue sanitizing bottles only to find 3 gallons of a 6-month old stout on the floor.

Always, Always, Always check to make sure the spigot on the bottling bucket is closed before siphoning. Since the spout is about 3 inches off the bottom of the bucket, it doesn't start pouring out right away. You might just walk away to continue sanitizing bottles only to find 3 gallons of a 6-month old stout on the floor.

and the mash tun.. the boil kettle...oh and wear socks. tho mother may have said that..

Use the buddy system. It's always nice to have an extra set of eyes/hands and hopefully someone less imparied than you on brew/bottling day.

My mom won't touch alcohol, so she told me nothing. I had to learn all on my own.:ban:

"3 hands are always better than 2! yes, this was another racking incident, no, I wasn't drinking..... :drunk:...........at the time my 2 hands were full!"

funny thing about this is my 1 handed friend is coming over to help me brew a Grolsch knockoff Sunday before the Pats game

Oh, and something more productive....

The wort WANTS to boil over and it will if you leave it to go get a spoon, or change the channel on the TV or take a leak.

Oh, and something more productive....

The wort WANTS to boil over and it will if you leave it to go get a spoon, or change the channel on the TV or take a leak.

Silly brewer, you're supposed to take a leak in the boil kettle. Unless you need your wee wee as a sanitizer, then it goes directly in the fermenter.

Defiantly don't listen to these guys.:)

Have your drunk friend use his penis as a thermometer in the mash tun, that should be memorable.

On a serious note use good fresh liquid yeast.

- always close your picnic faucet/tap after cleaning it. You'll learn why if you don't - trust me.

- don't leave the kegerator within reach of an inquisitive young mind... and the accompanying busy hands.

- don't chill your keg in a -40C porch without a timer of some sort to remind you that it's out there.

There are others; I learn about one a day from HBT or experience itself!

B

Not me, THIS guy....I'm just referring to that epic thread.

Happy thoughts :) Just cannot include penis's and pee pee in a brewing subject. My mind just can't deal with it, unless a naked voluptuous hottie blonde stops bye to help, as long as her duties require bending over, but go ahead and knock yourselves out. :mug:

If you overtighten the spigot on the bottling bucket, the gasket will deform and leak. That means you have to either empty the thing and fix it or reach into the full bucket. If you make choice B, and you decide to tip the bucket to make the inner nut a little more accessible, oh, I don't know, the bucket might slip and spill a s**tload of beer which will then splash all over the walls and cabinets.

But of course, that's all just a guess ... ahem.

"3 hands are always better than 2! yes, this was another racking incident, no, I wasn't drinking..... :drunk:...........at the time my 2 hands were full!"

funny thing about this is my 1 handed friend is coming over to help me brew a Grolsch knockoff Sunday before the Pats game

.....No pun intended....:mug:

If your new floating thermometer starts to sink...let it, you will be short handed if ya grab it.

Latest posts

Back