Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure there is no way for them to enforce this, as there is no way for them to find out if your spouse has another insurance available to them.

It's not uncommon to require a letter from the other spouse's HR department stating that insurance isn't available...

You could lie and say she doesn't have another job, but they could easily figure this out if they wanted to and then you could be on the chopping block with cause...

It's not uncommon to require a letter from the other spouse's HR department stating that insurance isn't available...

You could lie and say she doesn't have another job, but they could easily figure this out if they wanted to and then you could be on the chopping block with cause...

I have had a few people work for me that had insurance through their spouse because the coverage was better. Never was an issue unless something changed in the laws recently.

I have had a few people work for me that had insurance through their spouse because the coverage was better. Never was an issue unless something changed in the laws recently.

It's not a law, it's a cost savings measure by companies.

^exactly^
My wife's company has the same policy.
Mine didn't, for whatever reason, and was cheaper, so she was covered on my policy...

Cheers!

Got an email today, this is postponed until next year. People "expressed concern" because of the short notice, so we have until 4/1/18 to make "arrangements".

Come on homebrew o-clock.🍺

I'm not at that job anymore, but I don't think the son has any chance in running the place. The son has no skills.

I worked at a place starting a couple of years after the founder died and his son took over. I swear to heaven I have no clue how that company has stayed in business. Before the old man died the son was an outside sales rep and several of their biggest customers threatened to take their business elsewhere if he ever sent his nitwit son back to service their accounts.
I could go on a lonnnng rant about how badly the son treated his employees compared to how the dad did.

I am the "Process and Tools Lead" where I work which in this case means I make order out of chaos for the data from different systems that do not speak the same language so the practitioners, Cost Engineers, can do analysis instead of wasting time trying to rectify the raw data into a usable format.

The Manager of these Cost Engineers knows less about their job than I do which would be OK but...I have two newbies that want to know how to do things "right" verses make their numbers look good. Since I used to do their job I gave them about 2 hours of training on "what is important" verse what is clutter.

I was politely informed today by our boss that my training should remain technical in nature only. I am still not sure if the Manager feels threatened (she is amazingly risk averse) or if she really believes the only goal is to hit monthly numbers verses deliver projects on time and on budget.

She made the comment yesterday "well if they aren't doing it right I am not sure how I am to realize it if they are hitting their numbers". I pulled three random reports and asked the equivalent of "if man says his horse eats 10#'s of grain a day but has never needed his stall mucked out, what would you think about the accuracy of the statement". I got a blank stare.

or if she really believes the only goal is to hit monthly numbers verses deliver projects on time and on budget.

I work in a tire factory. We have production bosses who are willing to make bad product in order to hit production numbers and look good. "Product" meaning the tread line makes good tread, or the sidewall line makes good sidewall, etc. It's stupid because thats all wasted time and labor. Stuff like tread and sidewall can be recouped and reused, but beads and fabric are scrapped.

That seems to be the case these days....My last position you were allowed 2 no call no shows before getting fired. Its like WTF?! :confused:

I worked at a place like this: you had to not show up without giving notice, 2 shifts in a row in order to get fired.

This was also the same place that if you called in sick 2 days in a row, it came out of your paid time off. But if you were out sick for 3 or more days, and had a doctors note, it didn't get taken out of your PTO. Guess how many days on average people were sick for?

I have no co-workers, so I complain about my customers

customer: why do these 2 receipts have the same receipt number and there's a receipt number missing?

me, looking at CHANGES LOG: because YOU CHANGED the receipt number on the first one, then changed the next couple receipts because there was one missing

customer: yes, but why do these 2 receipts have the same receipt number and why is there a receipt number missing?

me, SHOWING HER the CHANGES LOG: because, here... see this? that's where YOU CHANGED the receipt number on the first one, and here's where YOU CHANGED the next couple receipts because there was one missing

customer: yes, but why do these 2 receipts have the same receipt number and why is there a receipt number missing?

me: ...

and yes, it went on for much longer than this

A couple folks that ***** about why people keep calling them with tech calls they're not responsible to handle and aren't really qualified to handle.

This usually comes after a phone call where their opening line is, "For this sort of thing you should be talking to so-and-so.....but what you got? Maybe I can help."

People who change font styles to illegible styles or stupid crap like "Comic Sans" on shared work computers. People who can't leave the current configuration(s) alone & change things around for no apparent reason. It's worked fine for everyone for several YEARS, now the new guy thinks it should be different. I've got news for you FNG, you adapt to the job, you DON'T adapt the job to you. If you spent half as much time actually doing your job (the rest of us have to fix your screwups), as you do fvcking around with things you shouldn't, we'd ALL be much happier at work.
End rant, resume normal activity.
Regards, GF.

732.jpg

When I have "LUNCH" written on my office door whiteboard and someone knocks on the door to ask a question about deposits.

My boss is in and out of my office more during my lunch (the only time my door is closed) than any other time of the day. A few weeks ago he slammed my door shut so hard that he knocked an picture off the wall, breaking the frame. He did say 'sorry'...

My boss is in and out of my office more during my lunch (the only time my door is closed) than any other time of the day. A few weeks ago he slammed my door shut so hard that he knocked an picture off the wall, breaking the frame. He did say 'sorry'...

I guess the good thing about my position is that I could yell at my supervisor if he did something like that, not that he would.

I work with a guy like that. I eat outside as much as I can to avoid it. Camp chair and nice grassy spot and no busy buddies for my lunch.

Whoever came up with "MDP" (managing daily performance). It's a five minute meeting every morning where we go over what we did yesterday. Safety, machine breakdowns if any, quality, delivery, and cost. Maintenance goes to the production meetings, then groups back in the shop for their own meeting. I've seen these five minute meetings stretch out to 45 minutes. So, for at least an hour and a quarter every day, I stand in meetings whenI could be working.

When I have "LUNCH" written on my office door whiteboard and someone knocks on the door to ask a question about deposits.

I used to eat lunch with my door open as there is a printer in my office a few people share. My assistant kept running in saying "ohhhhh, that smells so good what are you eating?" then would hang around to ask questions about my sandwich. The door now stays closed and she can wait to pick up printing later.

I don't have actual "co-workers", as I haven't had a job since 1980. I call myself "self unemployed". I don't really have to work, but work is hard wired in my WASP upbringing. In my business, which dates from 1980, I'm often working alongside other people's employees, and as a rule I get along with them. They respect me as a rule and listen to me, and I try to do the same. If they work with me we get along, if they work against me, I destroy them. I have a relationship with my customers that is completely honest. We are on the same page working toward the same goals with mutual trust. If it can't be that way, they are not my customers..... I won't deal with them at any price. They need me, I really don't need them. In that respect, I'm probably a poor business man, but has worked for me for many years.
Probably the thing that irritates me most with the people I work around is the "I'm the only person in the world" syndrome. People who are completely inconsiderate of others who work with them, or "behind them". People who do things the quick, careless, and lazy way, creating problems and extra work for others. Most seem to not even be aware of what they are doing. Their minds are too small to encompass the minor and major consequences of their carelessness.
The other issue I run into is people playing politics, aggrandizing their role and running down others. I've had several people fired, as a result of their telling absolute lies and working to turn their co-workers against each other. I'm outside the loop, as I do not work there, so I hear it all. What they often do not realize is where my loyalty lies, and that is with my customer. If it involves profitability or safety, or "abuse", it goes right to the top. I've always been that way, even as an employee. It doesn't earn you much love from those who don't really matter, but it earns trust from those who do. Fortunately where I live most employees are fundamentally good employees, and many have become long time friends as they have moved from one job to the next. I'll do a lot for people I trust and respect, but I'll destroy the garbage!!

H.W.

Whoever came up with "MDP" (managing daily performance). It's a five minute meeting every morning where we go over what we did yesterday. Safety, machine breakdowns if any, quality, delivery, and cost. Maintenance goes to the production meetings, then groups back in the shop for their own meeting. I've seen these five minute meetings stretch out to 45 minutes. So, for at least an hour and a quarter every day, I stand in meetings whenI could be working.

We have these. They're good when kept on point.

I used to feel that way too until I decided that if the boss wanted to pay me to stand around and listen to him jibber jabber I'd just relax and enjoy the down time.

I work for a growing engineering firm (Zweig Hot List, ENR Top 500, etc.) In the last 5 years, my previous company merged with the firm I'm now with, and we've bought out two other firms, with a few more acquisitions in the works.

One of the acquired firms was a small family owned architecture firm, and the entire staff merged into our operation. The principal of that firm, to this day, emails the entire company when he is going to be out of the office on vacation. Okay, dude. You used to work in a single-discipline office where everyone of the 30 employees interacted with you directly at some point during the week. You're now part of a multi-discipline, multi-office firm with a couple hundred employees. There are over a hundred people who have never met you, and will never interact with you. They do not give two flying ducks about whether or not you're on vacation. Have you not noticed that you are the ONLY person that sends out company-wide emails to announce your vacation plans?

This isn't annoying so much as funny.

Me: This office is clean but how long will it stay that way?

Coworker 1: She'll keep it clean, she's anal.

Me: True.

Coworker 1: I could use a little anal. In my office.

Me: Uh, I, uh, what?

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"... Not here at my current employers place of business, it's the RELATED wheel that gets the grease...

I work for a growing engineering firm (Zweig Hot List, ENR Top 500, etc.) In the last 5 years, my previous company merged with the firm I'm now with, and we've bought out two other firms, with a few more acquisitions in the works.

One of the acquired firms was a small family owned architecture firm, and the entire staff merged into our operation. The principal of that firm, to this day, emails the entire company when he is going to be out of the office on vacation. Okay, dude. You used to work in a single-discipline office where everyone of the 30 employees interacted with you directly at some point during the week. You're now part of a multi-discipline, multi-office firm with a couple hundred employees. There are over a hundred people who have never met you, and will never interact with you. They do not give two flying ducks about whether or not you're on vacation. Have you not noticed that you are the ONLY person that sends out company-wide emails to announce your vacation plans?

Yes! I deal with this at work.

There have even sent out notifications to stop it and people still do it.

I don't care that your leaving on vacation, we never interact!

Setup auto-reply in Outlook. that will let those who try to get ahold of you know you're not around and will leave everyone else the hell alone

Back