Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My coworker believes every single posting he sees on Facebook. Last week we spent 2 hours arguing about whether a town in Michigan had formally declared sharia law....

My coworker believes every single posting he sees on Facebook. Last week we spent 2 hours arguing about whether a town in Michigan had formally declared sharia law....

I like to have fun with those people. One of our young engineers barely follows current events, unless you count whatever/whomever the Kardashians are doing as news. She comes in occasionally and asks us to explain to her what's going on in the world, because she sees half a headline and doesn't feel like taking the time to actually read the story.

My old boss and I like to use the opportunity to spread a little misinformation. My favorite was when we convinced her that NASA sent a lone astronaut on a one-way research mission to Mars. This was before The Martian came out, otherwise we could've promoted it as a documentary.

Maybe it's just a game - your turn to leave a little gift in their drawer.

If only I could figure out who it is I would. And I know I am coming off as a bit of an EAC expecting my own drawer for personal stuff, but being one of the 4 longest employed people here I feel I should be able to expect something.

I really need to find a new job.

Show him/her this, it's a hoax, but they might not have seen it yet.

THE AMERICANS WITH NO ABILITIES ACT
President Barack Obama and the Democratic Senate are considering sweeping legislation that will provide new benefits for many Americans. The Americans with No Abilities Act is being hailed as a major legislative goal by advocates of the millions of Americans who lack any real skills or ambition.

“Roughly 50 percent of Americans do not possess the competence and drive necessary to carve out a meaningful role for themselves in society,” said California Sen. Barbara Boxer. “We can no longer stand by and allow People of Inability (POI) to be ridiculed and passed over. With this legislation, employers will no longer be able to grant special favors to a small group of workers, simply because they have some idea of what they are doing.”

In a Capitol Hill press conference, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid pointed to the success of the U.S. Postal Service, which has a long-standing policy of providing opportunity without regard to performance. At the state government level, the Department of Motor Vehicles also has an excellent record of hiring Persons with No Ability (63 percent).

Under the Americans With No Abilities Act, more than 25 million mid-level positions will be created, with important-sounding titles but little real responsibility, thus providing an illusory sense of purpose and performance.

Mandatory non-performance-based raises and promotions will be given to guarantee upward mobility for even the most unremarkable employees. The legislation provides substantial tax breaks to corporations that promote a significant number of Persons of Inability (POI) into middle-management positions, and give a tax credit to small and medium-sized businesses that agree to hire one clueless worker for every two talented hires.

Finally, the Americans with No Abilities Act contains tough new measures to make it more difficult to discriminate against the non-abled, banning, for example, discriminatory interview questions such as, “Do you have any skills or experience that relate to this job?”

“As a non-abled person, I can’t be expected to keep up with people who have something going for them,” said Mary Lou Gertz, who lost her position as a lug-nut twister at the GM plant in Flint, Mich., due to her inability to remember righty tighty, lefty loosey. “This new law should be real good for people like me. I’ll finally have job security.” With the passage of this bill, Gertz and millions of other untalented citizens will finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Said Sen. Dick Durbin: “As a senator with no abilities, I believe the same privileges that elected officials enjoy ought to be extended to every American with no abilities. It is our duty as lawmakers to provide each and every American citizen, regardless of his or her inadequacy, with some sort of space to take up in this great nation and a good salary for doing so.”

Robert Carlson

:D

President Barack Obama and the Democratic Senate are considering sweeping legislation that will provide new benefits for many Americans. The Americans with No Abilities Act is being hailed as a major legislative goal by advocates of the millions of Americans who lack any real skills or ambition.

“Roughly 50 percent of Americans do not possess the competence and drive necessary to carve out a meaningful role for themselves in society,” said California Sen. Barbara Boxer. “We can no longer stand by and allow People of Inability (POI) to be ridiculed and passed over. With this legislation, employers will no longer be able to grant special favors to a small group of workers, simply because they have some idea of what they are doing.”

In a Capitol Hill press conference, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid pointed to the success of the U.S. Postal Service, which has a long-standing policy of providing opportunity without regard to performance. At the state government level, the Department of Motor Vehicles also has an excellent record of hiring Persons with No Ability (63 percent).

Under the Americans With No Abilities Act, more than 25 million mid-level positions will be created, with important-sounding titles but little real responsibility, thus providing an illusory sense of purpose and performance.

Mandatory non-performance-based raises and promotions will be given to guarantee upward mobility for even the most unremarkable employees. The legislation provides substantial tax breaks to corporations that promote a significant number of Persons of Inability (POI) into middle-management positions, and give a tax credit to small and medium-sized businesses that agree to hire one clueless worker for every two talented hires.

Finally, the Americans with No Abilities Act contains tough new measures to make it more difficult to discriminate against the non-abled, banning, for example, discriminatory interview questions such as, “Do you have any skills or experience that relate to this job?”

“As a non-abled person, I can’t be expected to keep up with people who have something going for them,” said Mary Lou Gertz, who lost her position as a lug-nut twister at the GM plant in Flint, Mich., due to her inability to remember righty tighty, lefty loosey. “This new law should be real good for people like me. I’ll finally have job security.” With the passage of this bill, Gertz and millions of other untalented citizens will finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Said Sen. Dick Durbin: “As a senator with no abilities, I believe the same privileges that elected officials enjoy ought to be extended to every American with no abilities. It is our duty as lawmakers to provide each and every American citizen, regardless of his or her inadequacy, with some sort of space to take up in this great nation and a good salary for doing so.”

Robert Carlson

awesome.

A dirty paper plate with plastic fork sitting on top of my stuff. Who the F puts dirty plateware in drawers? Do they want it to stink in here? Do they want to attract more bugs and rodents? Are they really cats that are saying "look what I found/killed for you"?

fGCjIPt.gif

Apparently we have an office hoarder or maybe one of my coworkers is a cat that is trying to show its affection for me.

Background: I work on a computer help desk. Unfortunately, this means that we work in an open cube plan office where desks are shared between shifts. This in turn means that we have very little personal stuff storage space (lockers in the office as well as 3 drawers per desk). As a result I have taken one small drawer for my personal stuff (emergency food for when i have to pull a double because my coworkers suck, my coffee maker, notepads, etc). Over the past several weeks/months I have on occasion noticed that someone else's notepad, phone charger, etc will occasionally be dropped in my drawer. No big deal, I will relocate it to the drawer used by that person. This morning I come into the office, open the drawer to make my morning coffee and find... A dirty paper plate with plastic fork sitting on top of my stuff. Who the F puts dirty plateware in drawers? Do they want it to stink in here? Do they want to attract more bugs and rodents? Are they really cats that are saying "look what I found/killed for you"?

I have to keep all my personal stuff in my locker or people will mess with it. I even bring all my own pens/highlighters/sharpies/etc...
Just so I don't have to use the same things everybody else does. We used to have a guy here who would chew on all the pens & steal all the sharpies.
Any way you could get a lock installed on your drawer?
Regards, GF.

Employees not having basic math competency bothers me.
I've spent 45 minutes this morning trying to explain how a 5% upcharge on list price is different than a 5% upcharge on a discounted price.

Common response "5% is 5%, there shouldn't be a difference".

Robert Carlson

Sounds legit to me

I have to keep all my personal stuff in my locker or people will mess with it. I even bring all my own pens/highlighters/sharpies/etc...
Just so I don't have to use the same things everybody else does. We used to have a guy here who would chew on all the pens & steal all the sharpies.
Any way you could get a lock installed on your drawer?
Regards, GF.

If I used the lock on it, then I would lock the others out of their drawers. Hmmm... The idea has merit. Now where is that key?

I've spent 45 minutes this morning trying to explain how a 5% upcharge on list price is different than a 5% upcharge on a discounted price.

wow.
Just......wow.
I mean, I get the concept....5% is 5%. But to not realize that you are starting with a different number? Even my dumba$$ dog isn't THAT dumb.
smh....

The women (specifically, two of the four) in this office.

All summer long, I have heard nothing but bitching about it being "too cold" in the office. The thermostat was set at 72°, which was apparently cold enough to hang beef. But 73° was "okay". They would have preferred 75-76°, but I told them over my dead body - if it got set above 73, I'd come to work in a speedo and hang out in their offices all day. (I'm 6'0, 320 lbs, and part sasquatch.)

The past two weeks, I've been hearing "It's 40° outside, you do not need the air on inside" Biotch, please. I don't give a hang what the outside temperature is. We've got 30 computers running 24/7, plus two dozen bodies in the office. Did you notice the A/C just kicked on? That's because we're generating enough heat that it is needed to maintain our agreed-upon 73°.

Today, it was in the upper 30's this morning, so someone turned the heat on. It's set at (guess what...) 72°. And it's perfectly okay with the whining women.

The women (specifically, two of the four) in this office.

All summer long, I have heard nothing but bitching about it being "too cold" in the office. The thermostat was set at 72°, which was apparently cold enough to hang beef. But 73° was "okay". They would have preferred 75-76°, but I told them over my dead body - if it got set above 73, I'd come to work in a speedo and hang out in their offices all day. (I'm 6'0, 320 lbs, and part sasquatch.)

The past two weeks, I've been hearing "It's 40° outside, you do not need the air on inside" Biotch, please. I don't give a hang what the outside temperature is. We've got 30 computers running 24/7, plus two dozen bodies in the office. Did you notice the A/C just kicked on? That's because we're generating enough heat that it is needed to maintain our agreed-upon 73°.

Today, it was in the upper 30's this morning, so someone turned the heat on. It's set at (guess what...) 72°. And it's perfectly okay with the whining women.
When people complain about the office temperature here, I always remind them that while they can put more on, there's a limit to what I can take off.

To shut up some of the more chronic complainers, HR bought them little electric space heaters. I'm shocked that we haven't blown the breakers out of the place yet.

Perception = Reality. Sad but true.

They do not allow space heaters in my office. Too many fires caused by them. Doesn't stop people from bringing them in though. And you should see the nests of powerstrips below the desks. Scary.

There was a study that came out recently that said something along the lines of what we have historically considered comfortable office temperatures are based on male physiology, hence why the women in the building are always cold. So, male privilege FTW!

But really, it does come down to this:

When people complain about the office temperature here, I always remind them that while they can put more on, there's a limit to what I can take off.

I took AutoCad in High School 20 years ago and I know this. Wow.

Oh.. I thought he was talking about lineweights by hand. At least that is a challenge. If we had one imperfect penciled line or smudge, they would tear up our drawing and make us start over.

Actually I was talking about both... Granted now I experience more of the people not assigning line weights to computer drafted items. Which is worse.

Still going round and round with this.
Just got an email from someone chiming in with their opinion, all caps "5% IS JUST 5% ITS THE SAME DIFFERENTS".

Differents.

I replied with an example:
59,000 list x 5% = $2,950
35,400 net x 5% = $1,770
The response I get:
"No, you just aren't getting what we are saying"

Worst thing is, this entire debate is holding up my work because I have to get one of the idiots to see my point and then do something on his end.
Might kill myself today.

There was a study that came out recently that said something along the lines of what we have historically considered comfortable office temperatures are based on male physiology, hence why the women in the building are always cold. So, male privilege FTW!

We're a consulting engineering firm. Engineers and field techs/surveyors. The guys all tend to be outdoors-types, most of us are..."built for cold weather" (if the wind isn't blowing, I am perfectly comfortable in the single digits in a T-shirt for up to a half hour or so). So, in reality, an office temperature of 68-70 would be PERFECT for us. The accountant, on the other hand, regularily complains of being "freezing cold" when the rest of the office is 75 AND SHE'S RUNNING A SPACE HEATER.

In the blazing heat of summer, she sets her air conditioner to 78 or 80. That's the ambient temperature when I turn my a/c ON.

And trust me, I've used the "You can always put more on when you're cold. There is only so much I can take off when I'm warm."

People that complain about the weather are the worst. Though I do complain if it gets over 90 degrees, it only usually happens once a year. We've got a lot of people that should probably move a tad bit south from here with the amount they complain. Yes, it is October. Snow is not out of the question. Time to put on a hoodie.

I usually complain about it being too hot here in Ottawa.

If i could have brought Igloolik weather with me when I moved down, I'd be happy indeed.

Welcome Home!!!

2 of my co-workers just wasted 2 hours looking for air fair and not taking any calls. Multi Task people.... :confused:

People that complain about the weather are the worst. Though I do complain if it gets over 90 degrees, it only usually happens once a year. We've got a lot of people that should probably move a tad bit south from here with the amount they complain. Yes, it is October. Snow is not out of the question. Time to put on a hoodie.

I like it when it cools off to 90.

Just got an email from someone chiming in with their opinion, all caps "5% IS JUST 5% ITS THE SAME DIFFERENTS".

Differents.

35,400 net x 5% = $1,770
The response I get:

Worst thing is, this entire debate is holding up my work because I have to get one of the idiots to see my point and then do something on his end.
Might kill myself today.

I feel your pain, I had to explain to someone the difference between 0.1 kg and 0.100 kg. this was after I spent two weeks trying to figure out why in hell some of our product batch turned deep red as they were supposed to be and some pale pink ...

Perception = Reality. Sad but true.

They do not allow space heaters in my office. Too many fires caused by them. Doesn't stop people from bringing them in though. And you should see the nests of powerstrips below the desks. Scary.

A guy at work was shocked when the computer, monitor, two 40" monitors, and two space heaters he had plugged in flipped the breaker. All that but one heater was on one strip. I showed him the 10 amp rating on the strip and told him the heater should never be plugged into it. I'm surprised by the number of people who are still alive in this world.

Differents.

35,400 net x 5% = $1,770

The response I get:

Might kill myself today.

OMG! Differents would kill me. Then again, I've got a guy on my shift that can't pronounce anything correctly, so I kinda know how it feels. Spn for ESPN and lambourGenie for Lamborghini are some of the most common.

I used to sell electrical parts, so I dealt with the % thing more then. Usually took new folks a couple try's to figure out long vs short %. In my case, explaining that we were trying to find the number that the cost was x % of usually helped. Getting 20% profit from $100 would get $120 from them, when it should've been $125.

I hate when people confuse the following:
Should of / Should've
Could care less / Couldn't care less
Stanima / Stamina
Deep seeded / Deep seated
Mute point / Moot point
Irregardless / Regardless

0.100 is a more precise measurement than 0.1 (since there are less decimal places, you could deduce that 0.1 is a result of rounding).

0.100 is a more precise measurement than 0.1 (since there are less decimal places, you could deduce that 0.1 is a result of rounding).

Irregardless.

In my field, 0.1 means it's safe for me to go in the machine shop. In the case of 0.100, I may be getting beat with titanium bar stock.

Back