Thermoworks Problems? Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccumath

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just bucked up and bought an orange (easier to see) Thermopen from Thermoworks. Should be here before I get ready to brew about 3-4 batches next weekend.

My question is, has anyone ever had a problem with one? I have not read a bad review, and can't seem to find any issues with them (which is awesome if you ask me!).

Anyways, just wondering if any of you with Thermopens have had any issues? Just seeing if there are any potential problems to watch out for.

Thanks,
Ryan M.

mccumath said:
Hey Guys,

Just bucked up and bought an orange (easier to see) Thermopen from Thermoworks. Should be here before I get ready to brew about 3-4 batches next weekend.

My question is, has anyone ever had a problem with one? I have not read a bad review, and can't seem to find any issues with them (which is awesome if you ask me!).

Anyways, just wondering if any of you with Thermopens have had any issues? Just seeing if there are any potential problems to watch out for.

Thanks,
Ryan M.

I've had one for a few weeks and love it. Read the instruction booklet that comes with it so understand how it works. It is very accurate but you might think it isn't working sometimes. This is because the temp of your wort or grains on the sides, in the middle, at different depths, etc will all read different temps. Because they ARE at different temps. When chilling a wort this past weekend I had temps all over the place and got a little frustrated. Then I stirred the wort and the temps stabilized. The bottom line is that the Thermopen works fine and is amazing. It you need to learn how to use it and believe in the readings you get.

fwiw, I've had a "splash proof" model in screamin' yellow since they first came out with it, and use it for everything: for cooking - on the grill, on the smoker, in the kitchen - and brewing, and have never had even an inkling of untoward behavior. It never tells a lie, and I've pretty much come to depend on it.

btw, the yellow model is the quickest...

Cheers! ;)

I don't have a Thermopen, but another Thermoworks digital thermometer. It is one of the best pieces of brewing equipment I own. You'll be very happy with your purchase, I'm sure.

I use thermapens (and other Thermoworks products) exclusively at my restaurant. Heavy use, high-volume. These are the most reliable, high-accuracy, well made instrument I've ever had the immense pleasure of using. I recommend without reservation. Buy one now.

I had a problem with the one I got for Christmas last year. It worked fine for about 6 weeks and then the battery died. The batteries are suppose to last like 1,500 hours so I emailed them and they sent a new battery. That battery lasted like 3 weeks... so I emailed them again and they sent me a new thermapen. The new one I received has been great and I've had no issues with it.

If you do have a problem their customer service is first rate.

I had purchased one of their other thermometers, and had a problem with it after several months. I called them about it and they did not hesitate sending me a new one. That was about a year ago and the new one has been perfect.

These are all the things I was hoping to hear! Again, I had not heard anything bad about them, so figured it would be a worthwhile purchase. Looking forward to receive it before my next brew day!

I had an issue with mine when I first recieved it. You can read about it here. Long story short, not sure which is better, the Thermapen or the customer service!
Tom

Latest posts

Back