Thermoworks IR combo thermometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDom

Reaction score
I'm sick of throwing $15 walmart thermometers at the wall, and am looking at finally getting a good one. I'm leaning towards going the type k thermocouple route, and was wondering if anyone had experience with this one.
It seems pretty good, has an IR thermometer, takes k-type probes, says the accuracy is +/-0.8% with a probe, and includes a probe, all for the price of a thermapen. My biggest concern is on the accuracy, because at strike water temps of 165 that puts the potential error (1.32F) at nearly twice what the thermapen is (0.72F). It also comes only with a "certificate of conformance" and not a "NIST traceable calibration certificate." This part puts it in the same boat as the MTC mini handheld some others on here use, but with slightly higher accuracy.

So, anyone used this? Is it a good buy? Do the thermoworks products that aren't NIST traceable provide adequate accuracy for brewing?

Thanks!

Your first link shows the MTC for me?
I got lucky and scored one of the K-type socket thermapens before they discontinued them. I love it.

Fixed the link, my coffee-deficient brain weren't working, and I copied the MTC link over the proper URL.

Nobody? Oh well. I went ahead and ordered it this morning, and I'll post a review once I get to play with it a little.

My only comment is that +/-1.2 F @ 150F is a lot. I settled for +/-.7 F with my socket thermapen.

Back