Thermowell Clogged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samandbekah

Reaction score
Hello,

My thermowell for my Chronical has a small amount of paper towel that is clogged in it - any suggestions for getting this out of there? It is stuck down towards the bottom.

It is the 12" thermowell for the FTSS system.

Hello,

My thermowell for my Chronical has a small amount of paper towel that is clogged in it - any suggestions for getting this out of there? It is stuck down towards the bottom.

It is the 12" thermowell for the FTSS system.

When you are not using it, try using a wire or maybe a hanger wire to help dislodge it. Maybe putting a few drops of water in it for the paper towel to absorbed it might help when using the wire.

Good luck!

Thanks! I have tried using my old turkey fryer thermometer which has a pointy end to it but I think that is too thick for it... I'll see if I can get a wire somewhere... I thought about trying to fill it with something that would help it disintegrate but worried the chemicals will damage the stainless on it.

Could just burn the paper, blow out the ash and then use some acid based cleaner (like star san) to remove any deposited carbon. Ash tends to be basic...

Could just burn the paper, blow out the ash and then use some acid based cleaner (like star san) to remove any deposited carbon. Ash tends to be basic...

I don't know how that would work unless I burn it from the outside... It's buried at the bottom of the damn thing.

hmm... drop a match down there? Wouldnt want to use a torch and risk damaging the stainless heat treat...

Use a high powered shop vac with a crevice tool and see if it sucks it out. Use tape to attach tubing or a straw to the crevice tool to increase the flow and create a close fit to the thermowell.

@samandbekah, if it is still stuck, just fill the thermwell totally with water and then use a wire or hanger to stir and breakup the wet paper towel. Fish it out.

By now, you shouldn't be having this much trouble to dislodge it....

Back