Thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
I just got done with a batch of begian wit and the original gravity was pretty low according to the target on my recipe. I have come to the conclusion than the grain in the partial mash kit was not properly mashed. The culpret..... a faulty thermometer reading about 10-20 degrees higher than the actual temp. Resulting in a bad mash. I was using a digital thermoter and would not recomend using one to anyone else. I would like to know what type of thermometer is most commonly used and or works the best.

The good ol' fashion dial thermometer with a clip for the side of my brew pot. All of $5 at LHBS. Never fails, and only slightly slower than a digital.

i'm finding that my digital one is off as well. not only is it messing up brews, but overcooking chicken

cool. I have heard that those dial thermometers could also get "hung up" because of the coil in the sensor is spot welded in place. In those cases I have read that you would have to continuosly tap the dial so the reading would be acurat. I have just gotten really picky about it because I was really expecting alot more out of my last batch and was kind of let down. All my clues lead to a bad thermometer. Its very upseting to think that everything would have been fine if the equipment were better. I am willing to spend a little extra on it if I know its quality and insure a safe brew.

I have a good ole fashion thermometer(brand new) that screws into my mash tun, that reads 20 degrees low and that is after the calibration screw is turned all the way. My solution use about 3 different thermometers and use your best judgement.

The good ol' fashion dial thermometer with a clip for the side of my brew pot. All of $5 at LHBS. Never fails, and only slightly slower than a digital.

Stoutfan, what's the size of that thermometer...face diameter and probe length? I've never seen one that low in price.(even the 1" face and 5" probe therms are $9 at my LHBS)

Sorry if I'm threadjacking...it's related though.

I've been through a few thermometers now. IMHO, best bang for the buck in brewing thermometers is definitely the basic dairy floating thermometer.

I will continue to use my digital remote probe for heating liquor because it beeps when set temp is reached, but I'll be using my brand-new floater in the mash.

My LHBS has 2" Stainless Steel dial thermometers with a 12" probe and a clip for just under 13 dollars. They also have a floating one for under 6. Wich should I get or should I just get both to be sure?

I got a small probe style that I would have to hold in the wort to take the temp then take back out because I couldn't find a longer one. I also don't have a LHBS near me. Can I use the ones with the wires that I can get at Walmart?

I was using a digital one with a wire that connected to a probe and it was what I think it was what caused me to have a very inefficiant mash and therfore a lower OG. I would recomend ordering one online if you dont have a LHBS. It is worth it to not to have to worry about it.

Latest posts

Back