Thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfingpl

Reaction score
I posted about my temperature concerns earlier, thanks for checking that out.

Do any of you know of a digital thermometer that will record data like the lowest and highest temperatures reached during a given time period? I would like to experiment with different locations in my house to see where I can find the most consistent temps. Thank you.

I know they make them I just don't know where to buy one. My friend used one and I saw that it kept the lowest and highest temperature reached. It looked like a simple cheap piece of equipment so it shoul d be easy enough to search for, I just have no idea right this second. Maybe kitchen supply stores or something.

Walmart had one for like $8. It's meant for mounting near a window and it measure both inside temp and has a remote probe for outside temp that you'd dangle out the window. It tracks min and max for both inside and outside. Pretty slick. Note, the probe is weather resistance (rain) but not waterproof unless you do some DIY encapsulation.

I believe radioshack has wireless version that will do this as well. Then again I am sure that you could get a wireless version at the home depot or lowes as well. Wireless is nice as you can have 2 or 3 locations for the transmitters and just look at the one receiver.

I have an Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer setup for my "brewery" as well. I have one sensor placed in the Ale area, and one in the lagering fridge. My model will store 24hrs of pressures/temps, so you can see if the temperatures are spiking in your fermentation area in between fridge cycles or when the heater comes on. Placing the sensor in between the carboys will help buffer the temperature changes and more accurately reflect what is going on in the fermentation vessel.

EDIT: Something like this: http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=2&scid=5&pid=854. That's actually a smokin' deal for $60, since one of those sensors usually goes for $30 alone.

Thanks for the good news guys, I figured there must be something like this available. The Oregon Scientific one looks great, but I sure like the idea of $8.00 at Walmart...I'll have to check them out.

Oh, I am so glad others knew names and stuff. I tried to call my friend, but he is in Europe again for 2 weeks. One of those would come in real handy, I am going to check them out as well.

Back