Thermometer Upgrade for SS Brewtech MT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Im in the market for a new SS MT. I like the SS Brewtech, but that cheap looking thermometer is just about a deal breaker for me. Are there any other options I have for that thermowell?

With the Tun insulated like it is Im not sure if I could add a standard weldless fitting or not.

I have a conical fermenter from SS Brewtech and I think it has the same thermometer / thermowell setup. Frankly I don't see the big deal, it's just a thermometer and it fits well. What exactly is your complaint?

Anyway it's just a regular thermowell so I suppose you could put another thermometer in there if you wanted but I really don't see why. I can't find my calipers ATM but I would say the ID of that thermowell is about 1/4". Plenty big enough for most probes I would think. If you wanted to swap out the entire assembly, the hole in the vessel is 5/8" (although I can't tell you the size of the flat spot on the MLT since my conical is single-walled).

You can see a pretty detailed view of the thermowell and the thermometer in their promo video at 2m13s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW5cpjMmnkU#t=2m13s

Im in the market for a new SS MT. I like the SS Brewtech, but that cheap looking thermometer is just about a deal breaker for me. Are there any other options I have for that thermowell?

With the Tun insulated like it is Im not sure if I could add a standard weldless fitting or not.

Hey! You can actually add our kettle thermometer to the InfuSsion Mash Tun. If you're handy and up to the task, all you need is a stepper bit to widen the thermometer port out to 13/16". Just keep in mind its best to drill the port out from both the interior and exterior of the vessel, since the material is thick in that region from the inner and outer walls being pressed together.

Then you can add our kettle bulkhead and thermometer kit here:

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collecti...ts/copy-of-whirlpool-for-kettle-with-bulkhead

Here is a photo of the finished product.
IMG_2678_zpspu0b83y9.jpg

I'm glad you got an authoritative answer straight from @Ss_Michael, but I maintain that the digital thermometer + thermowell that SS Brewtech ships is pretty slick and I would take it over a dial thermometer any day of the week.

I have 1 SS Brewtech mash tun and 2 of their conical fermenters. I don't mind the digital thermometers at all, however, I have learned to remove them when cleaning to prevent water from splashing on them. I have had at least 2 stop working when they got wet (I mean really wet) one of which started working again after I removed the battery and put it in a Ziploc with rice and the other that died altogether. I just think the dial thermometer looks old school.

I have had everything at one point or another. Each has its advantages and some have their shortcomings. If Im not running a fully automated rig, I prefer a dial gauge. It comes down to personal preference.

Plus I like the look of a nice big ass shiny dial

Latest posts

Back