Thermometer that records temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornkob

Resident Crazy Uncle
Reaction score
Maybe my google skills are starting to fail me or maybe the product I'm looking for doesn't exist for a reasonable price.

Here's what I was looking for. A Thermometer, digital or otherwise, that records the temp, not merely displays current temp. What for? So I cna put it in a closet or basement or garage or refridgerator and get a feel for what the range of tempurature change is through the day.

Anyone seen such a thing that isn't an arm and a leg?

I have one of those wireless weatherstations I picked up at Home Depot for $30. You can have up to three wireless probes in different places beaming the temperature to the main unit. The one I have will give you the highest and lowest temp for the last 12 hours. You can even check fermentation temps without getting off the couch, but then you can't sniff the airlock!

Chairman Cheyco said:
You can even check fermentation temps without getting off the couch, but then you can't sniff the airlock!

There is something very weird about that comment . . . . :p ;) :D

You are looking for a min-max thermometer with a probe. Many $20 indoor/outdoor digital thermometers will do this. Actual recording thermometers get pricy.

david_42 said:
You are looking for a min-max thermometer with a probe. Many $20 indoor/outdoor digital thermometers will do this. Actual recording thermometers get pricy.

Agreed!!!

We use thermocouple wire and with readers and records at work for chemical injections for drinking water well. Cost per unit is about $450 CAN. Works really well though. With the wire we can measure down about 300 feet in a well and teh unit has a range upto ~1000 degrees celcius.

If you hardcore about it, try www.omega.com they specialize in temperature probes and recording equipment.

IGOR

I picked one up from Wally World, for less than $10.
Not sure the brand.
Use it for the Pop Up when camping.
Put the exterior temp lead in the fridge, so I can be certain food is cold enough.
I just taped the lead to the side of the carboy.
Seemed to work quite well.
Not sure if it is in a 12 hour period or what.

I have one that is setup on a PC for our computer room to monitor temp. Can be configured to log based on your desires. Pages / emails you if it goes beyond user defined min/max parameters. I don't think it was that much, but probably still overkill for what your looking for. I'll let you know if still interested.

kornkob said:
What's it called? I can always tinker with more PC gagets. : )

SensorSoft Corp. http://www.sensorsoft.com/product.html. Cheapest one they got is $149. I kind of like the one on the bottom "All Threats Monitoring Package". Didn't read the details but the name sounded cool. I bet it could be setup to watch my kegerator on the back porch. I do have teenagers...

I have used a Fluke 50 for similar applications at work and it has the flexibility to allow numerous data point recordings; you can specify the intervals up to 500 or 1000 recordings. I've seen the Fluke as low as $169 which isn't cheap but you it will provide you more than enough data beyond a simple minimum and maximum temperature. If you find something that works well please let the rest of us know.

Runhard, race easy, & drink beer.

I got one at radio shack several years ago for around $20 - it is a combination temp and hygrometer, with max/min tracking for both. Works great - I have used it for monitoring temps in my fermentation room.

Wal-mart sells a cheap thermometer for 6 bucks.

It keeps track of the min and max temperature & RH.

Its digital, runs on one AAA battery.

Its about the size of credit card. I think it meant to stick on a fridge since it has a magnet on the back.

It works well. I will buy several as I buy more carboys.

I would post a photo if I could figure out how....

Latest posts

Back