Thermometer Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
I have a gift certificate for amazon.com and was hoping to get a decent thermometer for mashing. Can anyone recommend a thermometer from their site?

Amazon has a stainless digital waterproof thermomemter that can be calibrated. I've used mine once so far and it worked great.

I say avoid the thermometers with a wire leading to the probe. They work great at first but the wire eventually gets wet and it fails. SOmetimes it only fails by 10 or 15 degrees sometimes it just doesn't work. I've tried 3 brands 2 at a time and my probes go through the wall of my vessels so they should stay drier than most

Just my opinion of course.

Linc

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend a liquid in glass lab type thermometer as a checker. Even the traceable thermometers vary 1°C which is about 2°F. So if you are shooting for 154 and are reading 155, you are really going to wonder if you aren't at 157 and need to adjust.

Back