THERMOMETER RECOMMENDATIONS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
Had two thermometers go out on me today during the brew day. Need to buy new ones.

Need (want):
digital
low price

I would rather buy a few at a lower price than an expensive single one. Most of the posts on here seem a bit dated so any new advice would be awesome!

Thanks

I spent 1 hour researching this last night. People rave on the Thermopen and it's probably the best you can get.

However, Thermoworks offers very quality pens for a fraction of the price--and I haven't found a single person that would disagree with that. The only downside is instead of waiting 2-3 seconds for a temp measurement you have to wait 5 seconds. Whatever.

Here's what I ordered, and I would expect that I would love it:

https://www.thermoworks.com/600D

Good, Fast, Cheap - pick two :). I finally broke down and bought a Thermapen about two years ago, and I do not regret it one bit. I use it all the time in the kitchen and for brewing. I've killed five other generic thermometers in the last six or seven years, and honestly at this point I would be money ahead if I had bought a Thermapen initially.

I have a buddy who has the Thermoworks one, and the 3-5 second read time is annoying. It does work though.

Just another shout out to this thermo:

https://www.thermoworks.com/600D

I used it for a brew session, and it just ROCKs. It's calibrated pretty good out of the box (+-0.9F).

I swear that it doesn't take 5-6 seconds to get temp readings. I feel like it does it in 2-3 seconds.

I used to use a Thermapen but just use that in the kitchen now. I use a couple of different style cheap Chinese thermometers now.
TP101
Noname foldable
I have a couple like the red one both home and at the brewpub.. no complaints. I spend a lot of time waiting when brewing 3 extra seconds doesnt matter to me.

Used this $20 one for years then got a $60 Chef Alarm from Thermoworks -- I like the big screen, long probe, alarm going up and alarm for coming down.
I might be looking into that $60 Chef alarm one, looks great. My last wired probe thermometer quit on me halfway through a brew a few batches ago . The temp shot way up past boiling, I checked it against my glass floater and it was still right where I wanted it at 154*F .Not sure what went wrong, no way to "reset "it. Been using the glass floater ever since without fail. But I would like another one like this for my meat smoking .

I'd second the "Good, fast, cheap - pick two" sentiment. Before I started brewing, I burned through numerous cheap thermometers smoking meat.

About 10 years ago, I got a Thermopen. Great for an instant temp check on meat or a mash temp. The only problem is you have to pull the lid off the kettle and that lets heat out. I mash in my oven and I wanted to be able to just glance over at it and see how its doing. About 3 years ago I got the Chef alarm and drilled a hole in the lid to my kettle. That way I can drop a probe through the top, wrap it in a blanket, set it in the oven and still know what's going on. A side benefit is you can set a high temp alarm and drop the probe into your mash water with the included clip and go about your business and not have to worry about overshooting your mash water temps. And then last year, more for BBQ than brewing but I've been using it for both, I got the SMOKE which has a wireless receiver so I can monitor the temperatures and don't even have to be in the kitchen to know what is going on.

So 3 thermometers from Thermoworks and couldn't be happier. No problems what so ever. I have had to change the batteries on the Thermopen once but its been like ten years. Are they necessary? No, but its nice having them. I actually did a double batch on Monday and I used the Chef alarm to monitor one and the Smoke on the other one. If I had to pick just one, though, I'd go with the SMOKE, but then again that's cuz I do a lot of BBQ.

Last edited:
I have a couple like the red one both home and at the brewpub.. no complaints. I spend a lot of time waiting when brewing 3 extra seconds doesnt matter to me.

That's what I use no issues so far and I have checked it against 3 other thermometers and it's spot on.

I really like what @balrog is using though

Back