Thermometer reccomendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corycorycory09

Reaction score
That first one is the only one I'd want to use in a mash or in a boil kettle. In fact I just ordered one (thanks!).

The others are nice but I find that a very short probe is useful only for small liquid volume applications, like checking the temp of a hydrometer sample. I employ two thermometers - a standard analog cooking type with a long probe that clips to the rim of my kettle or mash tun, and a small digital one with a short probe. I bought that one as an "improvement" but barely ever use it because it's short and doesn't settle on a temperature quickly. I have even dropped it into wort due to its small size. PITA.

I would be careful with the ones that have a cord attached to the probe. I've had people tell me that if the cord gets wet where it connects to the probe or the base, it can malfunction and misread or stop working altogether. I could be wrong..that's just what I've been told.

I would be careful with the ones that have a cord attached to the probe. I've had people tell me that if the cord gets wet where it connects to the probe or the base, it can malfunction and misread or stop working altogether. I could be wrong..that's just what I've been told.

yep, I've gone through several replacement temp probes for those things. I guess you could try using heat shrink around it.

I've gone through several with cords and will never buy one again, they fail when they get wet where the cord meets the probe. And it will happen.

This one is good. 5 year warrenty, i'm on year 3 still works great.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021AEAG2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Not sure if moisture creeps in, or the thin wire gets damaged on that crimped edge. Thrown a few out.

+1 on the CDN-450.
You do need to calibrate it in melting ice when you get it. Mine was 6°F off. After that it's great.

DO NOT use that silly pen-clip sleeve that comes with it. It will break the stem off. Don't be tempted, throw it away or drill/file it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine took a little breaking in. It's too loose now.

What is too loose, the stem in the body or the stem in the sleeve? :D
Does looseness in the sleeve make it useless?

There was a user-uploaded picture on Amazon, right next the item pic, showing the broken off shaft. A very sad image.

I use the last one on the list - RT600C. From the makers of the ThermaPen, water resistant, temperature resistant, dishwasher approved!, ±0.9°F accuracy, fast reading time (~5 seconds). It's been great for me but I've heard good things about the CDN one also.

I'd pass on the probes with cords. One broke on me on my first use and I never went back.

i can second the tip the stay away from corded thermos.

this is what i use
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021AEAG2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

ive had a few others similar to some of the the single pencil types. this CDN is the best i've had and its cheap. i've also heard it recommended by chefs.

it gives accurate measures fast. simple to use.
out of everything i've used its all i can recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Therm-o-pen for everything. I even left it in my bib pocket, went through the washer, and even 15 minutes of the dryer. Pulled the batteries out and let it dry. Therm-o-pen is still going strong. No reason to have anything else.

I have the rtc600c. I couldn't be happier with it and the price is absurdly low. Great tool all around.

I recently purchased the Thermoworks DOT. I really like it. has just what I need and the probes are interchangeable. I believe they have splash proof and full water proof probes.

I have a thermapen and an rt600c. I use the RT600C for pretty much everything these days. Best value for the price for awesome accuracy and quick read times.

I have a thermapen and an rt600c. I use the RT600C for pretty much everything these days. Best value for the price for awesome accuracy and quick read times.

Why the rt600c over the thermapen? From what I've heard the thermapen is better in every way.

Have the thermoworks DOT and the lava tools Thermowand, both work great. For the DOT I did also get the 12" probe that I can use with my clip from the dial thermometers

Thermapen is expensive. Very expensive. Especially compared to the RT600C. And the rotating switch to turn it on and off fails fairly easily. Had to send it back in for service twice. At $25 a trip. That makes it even more expensive. It reads rather quickly, although I honestly don't see it being the advertised 3 seconds and that makes it more comparable to the RT600C.

On the counterpoint, the RT600C was $20. It was spot on calibrated from factory just like the Thermapen. Its lighter than the Thermapen. It reads one to two seconds slower than the Thermapen, but it's still more accurate AND precise than my Maverick ET732 (Which I only trust to get me in the ballpark). I have yet for the battery to die on the RT600C and it'd been my every day use thermometer for over two years. If it caught on fire tomorrow it would still have been a great buy.

Back to the Thermapen, it would have to last me something like another 15 years with no more issues (unlikely) for me to consider it a good deal.

Hope it all makes sense. Typing on a tablet.

While Thermapen is great, the other products from the company that makes it are a much better value. The RT301 and the RT600 are great units for about $16 on sale. Blows the Thermapen out of the water.

Back