Thermometer Modification?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike8228

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove some material from the end of a thermometer probe (like one in a kettle sticking about about 2-1/2”) without damaging it or making it not work proper? I am looking to get an extra 1/2” clearance for a larger grain filter.

No, you can't snip a piece off the stem, if that's what you had in mind. The sensor is in or near the tippy.

1. Do you need a thermometer on your kettle? I wouldn't want any protrusions. I read the wort temp with my (handheld) Thermapen, which is way faster and more accurate than any (slow-poke) dial thermometer, which tend to be not very exact, also in trying to read the small scale. Besides, you don't need a reading when it's boiling.

2. If you do, there are short probe (dial) thermometers.

3. I guess your thermometer is a screw-in type. You can put a nipple+coupler combo between the port on the kettle and the thermometer. That way the thermometer body will stick farther out from the outside of the kettle, while the stem doesn't go as deep inside. Depending on how far you want the retract the stem, pick a nipple (close nipples add 0-space or very little) to get the right length/distance.

Ports on homebrew kettles are typically 1/2" female NPT. But double check, you want the correct diameter fittings.
For example:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/12nipple.htm
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/fullcoupling.htm

Now when the probe/sensor is closer to the kettle wall it will not pick up the temp from the center as much. Plus there is standing liquid in your extended port that may throw off readings as well.

4. I'd say plug up the thermometer port or

5. Repurpose as a whirlpool/recirculation port. Now that's a much more valuable use of a thermometer port, IMO. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks. I was thinking number three as well but wanted to know if it was possible.

Back