Thermometer broke in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally would be paranoid about glass shards ending up in my beer, so I'd toss it. I guess it depends on what you're comfortable with. I'm sure that some people will strain the wort and cross their fingers and drink the beer. I'm just not comfortable with that at all. I'd have to throw it away.

By the way, I don't use a thermometer during the boil. I mean, boiling is boiling, so the temperature doesn't matter at all. If it's boiling, it's good. I know it's too late now, but I would suggest not using a thermometer (especially a glass one) in the boil pot for next time.

+1 on Yoop's advice... I too, decimated a thermometer during a boil... As much as I hated it, I tossed it out... A small sacrifice to the beer gods for better brews in the future...

:mug:

Seriously, who manufactures those things and gets people to buy them? I want to be that guy. Many places, online or a local restaurant supply stores, will have plenty of digital or dial thermometers to choose from that will only cost you once.

Back