Thermoelectric cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chikincoop

Reaction score
Ok, so I made a DIY conical fermenter that fit perfectly into an old wine cooler I never used. I didn't take my time to research where to drill for temp prob/heat wrap plug and destroyed the frion line.

So, here is my question. Has anyone used a TEC installed in the back to chill the fridge? I couldn't find anything when searching. It fits so well, I don't want to waste the fridge. It is also in the basement, so I only need it chilled about 25 degrees below ambient when cold crashing.

Here are pics of setup and potential eBay purchase.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452476582.458268.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452476608.943127.jpg

Have you had a chance to figure out the "pop"? I am building a TEC to keep a short piece of pipe from freezing and I'm curious as to what happened. I hope it's not serious.

No, haven't really had the time to check it out. I'm thinking that I went to low on the AC/DC adapter. It is 6A. With the two fans and TEC I should of went 10-12A.

Here are some interesting videos about making TEC refrigerators:

He has a bunch of neat videos.

Like everyone, I'm always trying to figure out how to get my commercial kegerator (True TDD-3) to not be so loud with its compressor. One of these days I'm going to do something about it!

I was given a 28 bottle thermoelectric wine cooler which had stopped cooling. After doing some research, it seems the capacitors on the power supplies for these coolers are always suspect. I replaced all the capacitors and it worked, for all of 5 minutes. The board itself was not very good quality and was coming apart. I cut to plan B; it is just a power supply and you need 12volts and about 300 watts. I went to the local Good Will Computer Store and picked up a new, still sealed in the box, NEVA Bronze 500 watt ATX, plenty of watts and only $15.00. The original power supply also has the thermostat controller built into it. I purchased a thermostat from Amazon for less than $8.00 ( actually got 2 for $8.00 ). Using a 12V battery from an old backup power supply I sorted out what wiring did what. Then spliced in the new power unit and thermostat. You can mount the unit just about anywhere but I put mine on the top. I have plenty of space above this unit and it might help with air circulation for the ATX. A 6 gallon + fermentation bucket fits inside nicely with a space for a blow off container too. You could run a hose fitting through the side if you had a bigger fermentor. I was able to wire in all the controls in the front door including the light. The built in thermostat only shows temperature but will not shut the politer units on or off thus you need another thermostat.
Pictures attached below.
BackViewCooler.png
ThermoMounted CovertedEarBudBox.png

Attachments

• TopVewCooler.png
    TopVewCooler.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Just a couple of notes: The ATX is a EVEA and the Thermostat only reads in celsius. Thermostat is a HiLetgo and comes in a package of two. I made the extended buttons for the thermostat case from nylon screws and spacers I picked up at the hardware store.
Amazon calls these;
HiLetgo 2pcs W1209 12V DC Digital Temperature Controller Board Micro Digital Thermostat -50-110°C Electronic Temperature Temp Control Module Switch with 10A One-channel Relay and Waterproof and they were $7.99 for the pair)

@SBaker thats cool as hell and thanks for giving me some ideas of what to do with old PSUs

Back