ThermoBarrel electric BIAB system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingPete

Reaction score
I'm thinking of building a 20 gallon all electric BIAB system using the Chapman thermobarrel mash tun fitted with a utah biodiesel SS mesh basket, and a 5500 watt electric heating element. I like the idea of an insulated boiler as our winters are very cold, and I think heating times and energy usage will be much reduced. Use of the custom made mesh basket over comes the problem of getting a bag to fit due the thick walls of this pot and lack of a rolled lip. Also lid will fit without any problems. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 175
I'm not sure what material they use for insulation, but I'm assuming expanding polyurethane (pretty common). The max temperature rating is 150C/250F. You should be ok but may want to confirm with the manufacturer.

Edit: Depending on your available space/setup, you could also brew indoors and use a condenser to eliminate the need for overhead ventilation. Check out brundog's thread (BrewHardware will be offering a kit shortly, and I believe BrewBoss has one now).

Brewhardware is were I will be getting most of my stuff. I'll ask about the condenser idea. Thanks!

Sadly, the recommended sustained temp that I've seen posted is rather low for polystyrene, 167F. I though it was a lot higher. Chapman may use a different material. I've sent them a message via their contact page. Hopefuly they will respond to my question.

Does anyone know if the termobarrels can be taken apart?

Last edited:
I believe they would use polyurethane as it will expand to fill the shape of the vessel.

Polystyrene is a different material and isn't recommended for any application above 165F. This is a less likely insulator in part because mash temperatures are so close to its limit, but also because the material doesn't expand- it must either be cut or molded (more difficult to assemble the mash tun).

From photos, the product looks to be press fit or crimped together. Easier than a weld, but I wouldn't expect to be able to disassemble it without causing significant irreparable damage.

I believe they would use polyurethane as it will expand to fill the shape of the vessel.

Polystyrene is a different material and isn't recommended for any application above 165F. This is a less likely insulator in part because mash temperatures are so close to its limit, but also because the material doesn't expand- it must either be cut or molded (more difficult to assemble the mash tun).

From photos, the product looks to be press fit or crimped together. Easier than a weld, but I wouldn't expect to be able to disassemble it without causing significant irreparable damage.

@Bent-Brewer I agree with you on this. Polyurethane would seem the more logical choice, and was surprised when told polystyrene. But if I bore a hole for the heater element and discover it is polystyrene it will be a rather expensive mis adventure. Since I'm impatient I decided to go with a conventional 22g pot and fit it out the the condenser system. Also adding a timer module to the controller to cycle when mashing 15 min off and 5 min on to help maintain a more stable mash temperature. With the condenser setup I will be moving the whole setup to the basement and will not have to worry about brewing when the temperature is - 5F outside.

Hello BrewingPete,
Did you ever follow through with this idea? I liked it and converted my 10g system with a 1650W hot rod heat stick (brew hardware) and BIAB from the brew bag.com.
Works fantastically well. A nice rolling boil led to a boil off of about 2/3 gal over 60 min.
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG

Hello BrewingPete,
Did you ever follow through with this idea? I liked it and converted my 10g system with a 1650W hot rod heat stick (brew hardware) and BIAB from the brew bag.com.
Works fantastically well. A nice rolling boil led to a boil off of about 2/3 gal over 60 min

Hey Chris,

Did you actually modify your Chapman with a heating element? AIH currently has a great deal on a 15gal thermobarrel and I'm considering adding an element to it in the future

Back