There's still hope, right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLBinID

Reaction score
Spent the day brewing what I think will be a really good IPA but at the end I screwed up.

I've been using Wyeast for the past several months. I used Safale-05 for this. No biggie. Usually I just mix it in some warm water and it's fine. Today for some reason I felt compelled to add it to some of the wort preboil. I sanitized the bowl and the funnel. I completely forgot to boil the wort before adding the yeast. I realized this as I was pouring the yeast into my carboy over the boiled wort.

So is there still hope for my beer? I haven't had a contaminated brew yet. I assume it's pretty obvious if it is? Will there definitely be growth or will I likely have to rely on taste. (I hope not because if I think it's contaminated it's going to taste bad to me regardless of whether it is or not.)

Spent the day brewing what I think will be a really good IPA but at the end I screwed up.

I've been using Wyeast for the past several months. I used Safale-05 for this. No biggie. Usually I just mix it in some warm water and it's fine. Today for some reason I felt compelled to add it to some of the wort preboil. I sanitized the bowl and the funnel. I completely forgot to boil the wort before adding the yeast. I realized this as I was pouring the yeast into my carboy over the boiled wort.

So is there still hope for my beer? I haven't had a contaminated brew yet. I assume it's pretty obvious if it is? Will there definitely be growth or will I likely have to rely on taste. (I hope not because if I think it's contaminated it's going to taste bad to me regardless of whether it is or not.)

LOL I love the last part! "I hope not because if I think it's contaminated it's going to taste bad to me regardless" Love it! Totally understand it too. BUT, go for it and assume it's going to be fine!! Live and learn huh? lol

I like "probably turn out ok". I don't know how many beers I've thought I contaminated or over sparged or yada yada yada and I swear I taste off flavors. It takes my husband to assure me it tastes like normal, good beer before I stop tasting bad stuff in it. I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that.

So I won't die if I drink it, right? :) This is my practice for lambics.

Back