There Will Be Blood - seriously??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
After all the rave reviews I heard about this movie, we decided to watch it. For me to commit to any movies over 2 hours, it takes some good feedback. I want my 150+ minutes back! Seriously, if you've been considering renting/buying this movie - think again. I can appreciate the cinematic value and nice score of the movie, but it was painfully boring. I also found it to be misleading in that they kept leading you to believe something would happen and nothing did. This movie would've been better if it was more concise, but it still would've been lame IMO. Sorry to any movie buffs who liked this one, I just don't get it...at all...

I think people have just come to expect either a completely predictable plot with a beginning, middle, and end or the new rave twisted ending ala M.Night Shamalamadingdong. I guess we're just not willing to accept an open ended narrative. It's not that I completely loved it, but I didn't feel ripped off since I enjoyed the visuals. It reminded me a little of American Psycho in that you got a real sense of how twisted the guy was.

I think people have just come to expect either a completely predictable plot with a beginning, middle, and end or the new rave twisted ending ala M.Night Shamalamadingdong. I guess we're just not willing to accept an open ended narrative. It's not that I completely loved it, but I didn't feel ripped off since I enjoyed the visuals. It reminded me a little of American Psycho in that you got a real sense of how twisted the guy was.

I agree about the visuals, they were great. I just think my attention span is too short for something that uneventful. Regarding American Psycho, I absolutely love that movie. Much more entertaining, although not as aesthetically moving...

It's all about expectations going in. 'Movies' have a certain story arc and are enjoyable for different reasons than 'films', which often are not about adhering to a set style.

I like both for different reasons. You can watch Bad Boys and love it for totally different reasons than a film like Blood.

It's all about expectations going in. 'Movies' have a certain story arc and are enjoyable for different reasons than 'films', which often are not about adhering to a set style.

I like both for different reasons. You can watch Bad Boys and love it for totally different reasons than a film like Blood.

I agree, but that's why I felt misled. If I didn't feel like anything was going to happen, it would've been more tolerable. I just felt like the director kept teasing us only to go nowhere...

The film is loosely based on the Upton Sinclair novel Oil! (1927). It tells the story of a silver-miner-turned-oil-man on a ruthless quest for power during Southern California's oil boom of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Now that sounds pretty boring to me. I have not yet seen it, but I may use a free code at Red Box for it. That's how I stick to The Man in Hollywood for producing crap. Pay nothing for it, so when I turn it off after 25 minutes, I've only lost 25 minutes.

Now that sounds pretty boring to me. I have not yet seen it, but I may use a free code at Red Box for it. That's how I stick to The Man in Hollywood for producing crap. Pay nothing for it, so when I turn it off after 25 minutes, I've only lost 25 minutes.

If I could watch movies for free, I'd watch a lot more of them. More than half the time I feel like I've wasted my money...:(

If I could watch movies for free, I'd watch a lot more of them. More than half the time I feel like I've wasted my money...:(

I have Netflix. They send me one movie at a time, which is nice. But the real cool part is their large selection of free movies for unlimited on-demand viewing. It was especially nice when I was working second shift and didn't have any movie rental stores open when I got off work. I'd use the one movie at a time mailed to your doorstep to get the blockbusters or the big name movies that weren't available on demand, but would always be able to turn on a classic flick any night of the week.

I saw it in the theatre and though it wasn't at all what I was expecting I thought it was great. Would definately watch it again.

"I drink your milkshake!!!"

I thought it was really good. Daniel Day Lewis was absolutly superb as an actor in it. I give it two thumbs up just because of the great acting.

OK, we have a couple of
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
followed by a couple of
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
. Just great. Now I'm conflicted. Hmm

I agree about the visuals, they were great. I just think my attention span is too short for something that uneventful. Regarding American Psycho, I absolutely love that movie. Much more entertaining, although not as aesthetically moving...

We watched about half of it tonight. I'm enjoying it. No offense, SL, but it seems a little self-centered to tell people to stay away from a movie based on your short attention span...:p:D;)

DDL, so far, has done some of the best acting ever, IMHO. I defy anyone to f*ck with his **** in this movie. His eyes are haunting...his intensity is frightening.

I watched this a few nights ago, and really enjoyed it. I also have a short attention span. Could be I pretty much grew up in the oil patch is the reason I liked it.

I'll throw my hat in the "I liked it" category. It's not a full on action flick, but it does have awesome character and scenery.

I think we just have to chalk it up to being like the discussion about Cloverfield, some love it and some don't.

I agree that the acting was very good, however the movie was on the boring side, It was a 1 timer movie I would never buy it. Never fear though the Dark Knight will be out soon, cant even wait for that one.

We watched about half of it tonight. I'm enjoying it. No offense, SL, but it seems a little self-centered to tell people to stay away from a movie based on your short attention span...:p:D;)

Hey, if anyone's naive enough to take my opinion as fact - so be it. I can appreciate good performances and excellent photography, but if I want narratives like this I'll read the book. I guess I just look for entertainment in all movies and this was not entertaining IMO. Again, my disappointment is based in the feedback I heard about this movie. If I wasn't expecting anything to happen, I wouldn't have been disappointed. Regarding DDL, I thought he was just as good in Gangs of NY but that performance was much more entertaining for me...

I saw "There will be Blood" the other day. Here is my take on this. Daniel Day Lewis is a superb actor. He certainly did perform in this movie. I am also a big fan of the director Paul Thomas Anderson (Magnolia, Boogie Nights). He also did a great job directing this film. But what this film lacked was an interesting subject. Drilling for oil is not my idea of entertainment. I tried to get into the movie but found myself a little restless.

Hey, if anyone's naive enough to take my opinion as fact - so be it. I can appreciate good performances and excellent photography, but if I want narratives like this I'll read the book. I guess I just look for entertainment in all movies and this was not entertaining IMO. Again, my disappointment is based in the feedback I heard about this movie. If I wasn't expecting anything to happen, I wouldn't have been disappointed. Regarding DDL, I thought he was just as good in Gangs of NY but that performance was much more entertaining for me...

DDL was friggin insane as Bill the Butcher, That is one of my favorite characters in any film ever and he did an awesome job. He was also amazing in Last of the Mohicans.

but you like the village so meh! :p

Yup, thats I said my opinion is not fact. I guess I just needed to rant, but nobody should take this as the definitive movie review. I'm into movies for entertainment value, not artistic value. Let that be a warning to anyone who thinks I'm not full of BS...:D

Gotta say, I loved this movie. The last scene was great. The interactions throughout the movie between Daniel Day Lewis and his son were great IMO. Its long and a little slow, but if you really give it a chance I think it can keep hold of you through the whole thing.

Was long but still enjoyed it a lot. DDL is an unbelievable actor.

"I'm Finished!" ;)

I think people have just come to expect either a completely predictable plot with a beginning, middle, and end or the new rave twisted ending ala M.Night Shamalamadingdong.

Bobby...I wish we could hang out...you and I would get along. I can't stand Mr. Shamalamadingdong's 'twist' endings.

First off, The Village...I was SO BORED with this film that I gave up. someone had to tell me the 'surprise ending'..which I found weak and uncreative. Signs was 'ok'...nothign great. I didn't bother with Lady in the Water...and I have no desire to spend money to see The Happening.

He got the same treatment as Kevin Smith did after Clerks was such a hit. The difference is Kevin Smith knew his stuff was not 'serious' and was kind of amused by Hollywood 'adoring' him. Shamalamdingdong actually bought into his own tripe.

Received a few phone calls from friends telling me that this was my kind of film and to watch it.

Enjoyed it - every last minute of it. DDL is a great actor and without him this movie would still have been good but he brings a powerful performance. Paul Dano was suprisingly good, too. I wasn't expecting much from him as I all have ever seen him in was Girl Next Door.

A slow movie (IMHO) has no wasted time if each scene serves a purpose. Whether it to convey a mood, show the tedium of working a boring job, to slow the pacing to get a mood... thinking Apocolypse Now or Taxi Driver.

OK after reading all of your opinions, I decided to try giving the movie a shot. now, to preface this, I like all kinds of historical fiction movies, 'serious films', movies that come out of Sundance, etc.

This was a hidieously boring movie. The characters were flat and unemotional. Oh sure, Daniel Day Lewis was great, but he was the only actor amonst a bunch of mannequins. The musical score (if you could call it that, it sounded like a 1st grade violin lesson) was jarring and distracting to listen to. It just seemed like it was just watching someone go to work all day. I would rather shave my nuts with a cheesegrater than watch this movie again. At least I would feel something then!

I got more out of WALL-E. If you think about it, the genre's the same. The first 20 to 45 minutes there's no dialogue at all. You have to pay attention to figure out what's happening. The protagonists have menial jobs that most people hardly think about. Sure, WALL-E started veering more toward the typical hollywood pap later, but the beginning of it was just amazing. Castaway was another movie that didn't have the typical hollywood layering and I loved that movie as well.

I thought this movie was outstanding. The depth to the characters and structure of his rise then fall I thought was well scripted. Excellent acting. I was intrigued the entire time, never was boring to me. I watched it again on DVD and was entertained again.

I love it, seen it oh I dunno....8 times. I never get dissapointed when the dude in the well gets mopped in the face by that big chunk of wood...I giggle like a little girl everytime

i thought it was an absolutely beautiful movie. great depth and a brutal, hard story. you may have a little trouble caring about any of the characters...as they are all very wounded, flawed people.

the butcher was awesome as usual.

and that kid...the preacher one, I loved watching him get smacked around

the butcher was awesome as usual.

It wont be long but maybe a couple more years and we will be able to list DDL among the greats. Deniro, Pacino, Newman, Brando, Stewart....ETC. Bill the Butcher was one of the greatest characters I have ever seen portrayed in a movie.

DDL and the cinematography carried this film and did manage to pull me in pretty intensely. While there were certainly some stale and almost dull periods during the film, one of my main criteria for judging films is how long a film keeps the gears turning in my head afterwards. This movie left me with much to ponder and process afterwards, searching for themes, relevance, and symbolism. As a comparison, I enjoyed "No Country for Old Men" much more. It also contained much violence, great cinematography, and an abrupt ending that left me thinking about the events that occurred for days afterwards, but it was also just more enjoyable experience during the movie, and unlike "There Will Be Blood," I'd watch it again.

No Country for Old Men I thought was also and equally awesome....the CO2 tank was teh awesomeness

No Country for Old Men I thought was also and equally awesome....the CO2 tank was teh awesomeness

yeah, except now I get funny looks when taking my 5 lb. tank in to the liquor store to exchange it for a full one. There's no gracefull way to carry those things and I am usually grumpy while doing so b/c it means i've got flat beer at home. People get out of my way now, thanks to that movie.

Back