There is a bug in my carboy....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamF625

Reaction score
So I was admiring my first Saison fermenting like crazy and I noticed an insect of some kind found their way in my primary. It is just floating on top and I want it out of there, but I'm afraid to take the airlock off during peak fermentation. What should I do? Will one bug ruin my hard work? Thanks for any input!

Depends on what kind of bug it is. If it's a fruit fly you may have a problem......Yes, one fruit fly can ruin a batch. I know from experience.

Fish it out. I had a fruit fly that was suicidal and drank himself to death in my secondary once. I fished him out and tried cpr but the poor bugger had passed. Best part though was the beer was fine

I'm not an expert but it looks too big to be a fruit fly. I want to fish it out of there before I rack it into the secondary.

If you were sitting on a patio at a restaurant, sipping your beer, and suddenly noticed a dead fly at the bottom of your glass, would you keep drinking it?

I know I certainly wouldn't!

So why would you drink this batch of beer? There's a bug in it! That's disgusting.

Dump it and be more careful next time. :(

If you were sitting on a patio at a restaurant, sipping your beer, and suddenly noticed a dead fly at the bottom of your glass, would you keep drinking it?

So why would you drink this batch of beer? There's a bug in it! That's disgusting.

The difference in price between a 5 gallon batch and a 16 oz pint would make me want to keep it. Fish it out and go on with your brew. Everyone eats a few bugs every once in a while.

*maybe I am just a cheap bastard*

I noticed a beetle floating in my primary fermenter once. Although I don't think he made it in during fermentation.

I believe he made a home in some of my grain. Needless to say he had a nice steamy bath in my MLT. :mug:

Found this guy in the bottom of my bucket, sitting on top of the yeast and trub. The beer scored a 33 in a competition. I wouldn't worry about it.

Bee in Underpants IPA.JPG

I wouldn't worry about it. If we all the malt we buy is 100% bug free, we are wrong. the fda has acceptable limits for bug parts in all types of food, you might be surprised at how high they are. I doubt one bug will affect anything, if it did sour the beer, there would be so few cells, it would probably take a year to affect flavor.

JonnyComet said:
Found this guy in the bottom of my bucket, sitting on top of the yeast and trub. The beer scored a 33 in a competition. I wouldn't worry about it.

I was brewing a brown a couple weeks ago and with 15 minutes left in the boil a wasp flew over and dropped right in the wort never to be seen again. I just went with it and kept boiling. I would have preferred it happen closer to the end of the boil though so it contributed a little more bee aroma rather than bittering. I named this brew "buzzkiller brown".

Reminds me of a joke...

An Englishman, a Pollock and an Irishman are sitting at an outdoor pub enjoying some beers.

Suddenly, three flies come out of nowhere and one lands in each of the men's beers.

The Englishman looks at his beer in disgust and immediately orders a new one.
The Pollock shrugs, fishes out his fly and continues drinking his beer.
The Irishman fishes out his fly, shakes it over the glass and yells, "spit it out, ya bastard!"

I was brewing a brown a couple weeks ago and with 15 minutes left in the boil a wasp flew over and dropped right in the wort never to be seen again. I just went with it and kept boiling. I would have preferred it happen closer to the end of the boil though so it contributed a little more bee aroma rather than bittering. I named this brew "buzzkiller brown".

:rockin:

This made me laugh...:mug:

Just to give everyone an update the saison turned out great! I did not remove him until I transferred into the secondary. thanks for all the input!

What exactly is in or on the bug that disgusts you so much? Are you even the slightest bit aware of all the microorganisms you are constantly breathing and ingesting? Not to mention that there are more foreign cells in the human body than human cells. Better not drink anymore beer...you might get a little yeast excrement in your mouth.

I had a pale ale that I found an earwig in when transferring to a keg. No clue how it got in there. The earwig brought some wild yeast with it. Ended up with a Belgian farmhouse funk to it, not too bad actually. And this beer just would not clear either. It has been sitting for 6 mo. since I last tried it. I'll have to give it a taste one of these days (the benefit of having a stockpile of kegs)

I brewed this past weekend and grabbed a carboy off the shelf. Put some Star San in and shook till it was all foamy. After transferring the wort to the carboy I noticed a mosquitoes or something just on the inside of the carboy. From the looks of it, its been there for a bit. Needless to say I am prepared that I most likely will end up pouring batch out. I guess we'll see in a week . Just praying the Star San neutralist anything.

Back