The World Cup Approacheth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! I stopped work and went inside for the last few minutes. That was fooking insane!! When will the rest of America wake up and see what they are missing!

They won't...they just aren't sure how to handle so much talent on a field at one time.

I like to think of it a physical chess...just waiting until the opponent makes a mistake to strike as opposed to diluting a league until everything is so one sided.

I love watching soccer. The problem is I can never watch it. Unless you have a super nice setup and expensive plan, you can't watch soccer. I used to go to an English styled pub when I lived in Milwaukee and watch. But now I live nowhere near anywhere to watch futbol. It is a bummer, and why I get soooo excited about the World Cup.

I'm speechless!!
Yeah, like that would ever happen.
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm giving it a shot because my daughter is really into soccer right now. I decided to watch for her but found myself riveted by many of the games.

I still think the offside rule is one of the dumbest rules in any sport. The whole point of sport is to gain an advantage on your opponent. :D

Well, anyone who still thinks that the greatest sport on Earth is boring, needs to watch the Italy v Slovakia game. (Or at least the second half!)

WOW!

And c'mon, shecky - you're a baseball fan, FFS!!! You can handle the pace of proper football without a problem. Think of the lower scoring games as pitcher's duels!

And c'mon, shecky - you're a baseball fan, FFS!!! You can handle the pace of proper football without a problem. Think of the lower scoring games as pitcher's duels!
I never had a problem with the pace. I grew up with the usual American bias. You know the one: what kind of sport doesn't allow you to use your hands? I'm getting past that slowly but surely.

Yep, my oldest brother was a die hard soccer suxors kind of guy. I looked up to him when I was a kid (he's 10yrs my senior), so never got into soccer as a kid.

Then I moved to Germany for 4 months in the summer of 2006... Futbol is forever more the coolest sport in the world. Experiencing European football and the fan experience during the World Cup is like nothing the American sports even come close to. Not even close.

I still think the offside rule is one of the dumbest rules in any sport. The whole point of sport is to gain an advantage on your opponent. :D

Offsides is #4.

#3 is the DH in the American League.

#2 is defensive three seconds in the NBA

#1 is clearly the "he would've come down in-bounds if the defender didn't knock him out of bounds before his feet came down, therefore it's a catch" rule in the NFL.

But soccer does have the greatest rule - "advantage." I really wish the NBA would implement the advantage rule.

Sorry, but the offsides rule isn't dumb. If you got rid of it, attacking players would just stand inside the opposing box all game, as would defenders, who would never push forward at all. I'm not sure it would really increase scoring that much, but would mostly just lead to long balls into the box.

The fact that they never correctly call tie-goes-to-the-attacker is dumb.

Offsides makes perfect sense, otherwise what would prevent a team from just planting a guy down by the goal and long balling it ever time?

Offsides is #4.

#3 is the DH in the American League.

#2 is defensive three seconds in the NBA

#1 is clearly the "he would've come down in-bounds if the defender didn't knock him out of bounds before his feet came down, therefore it's a catch" rule in the NFL.

But soccer does have the greatest rule - "advantage." I really wish the NBA would implement the advantage rule.

The fact that they never correctly call tie-goes-to-the-attacker is dumb.

That is dumb. My favorite (albeit not used oft enough) rule is how Soccer refs can call a yellow card for play acting. That is awesome.

I loved the ref in the Italy game. "Get off your ass!" He was yelling at cry babies every time someone went down. Awesome!

If it wasn't for offsides, you'd end up with no midfield - the game would basically be five forwards and five defenders who'd take turns lumping the ball into each other's penalty area hoping to bundle the ball into the net.

Good call on those, AZ - I'd also throw in the extremely annoying "time out".

Offsides makes perfect sense, otherwise what would prevent a team from just planting a guy down by the goal and long balling it ever time?
Granted I'm not well versed in soccer, but I would think it would be prevented by the same reasoning that applies to basketball and lacrosse. No basketball player plants himself under the opponent's hoop, no lacrosse player plants himself in front of the cage because his teammates need help.

That and the fact that long balls aren't exactly easy to complete in any sport such as these.

Best probably not to listen to me as I'm a novice. :p

Found this on the Rogan Boards

divedivedive.gif

Anyone else thrilled that Shecky might be starting to see the light?

Now, if we can just fix the MLS so that they can play less hit and run high balls and pass a little more, we might be onto something! :D

Seen it a few times in here and I just have to say, I hate when Americans call soccer futbol, or anything else. In America it is Soccer. If anything 'Football' is the appropriate name in English speaking countries. Other names are of course the popular futbol, futebol, fotbol,Fußball, voetbal, fooseball, and even sokker. If you're in America, it's called soccer. Calling it these other names doesn't make you a proper fan or mean you know/love the game any more than someone else. It just makes you look like the guy in the bar ordering a SA Boston lager because he loves "Dark Beer". So unless you're all from a different country, (England doesn't count) it's Soccer.
/RANT

That's the problem with the MLS - they can't decide if they want to play Europe style or South American style futbol.

We're Americans! We don't have to choose! We just pick out the best parts of each style!

...then we throw them out and use what's left. :rockin:

I wish we had more interested fans and could have a cooler thing to shout than "USA! USA! USA!" It makes us look lame when every other country has cool chants songs etc. and all we have is three letters to yell. sad panda.

Yeah, like that would ever happen.
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm giving it a shot because my daughter is really into soccer right now. I decided to watch for her but found myself riveted by many of the games.

I trust your daughter doesn't play defense then.

Soccer is biased towards defense-- which accounts for fewer goal-- but more action. Offsides is the natural exentsion of not liking the lazy striker hanging out by the post not doing a thing waiting and waiting for that errant pass to his slackass self while the true heros of the game the fullbacks and the mid's are working and playing the game. Oh and defense can do no wrong!

Good to see you are coming over to the good side.

I trust your daughter doesn't play defense then.

Soccer is biased towards defense-- which accounts for fewer goal-- but more action. Offsides is the natural exentsion of not liking the lazy striker hanging out by the post not doing a thing waiting and waiting for that errant pass to his slackass self while the true heros of the game the fullbacks and the mid's are working and playing the game. Oh and defense can do no wrong!

Good to see you are coming over to the good side.
Actually, my daughter plays defense. Even when she's up front, she tends to find her way to the back.

I still say the strikers would want to help their teammates, but maybe I'm an idealist.

Back