The Word "Hofbrau"...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekim2112

Reaction score
I dude I know has his panties all twisted over the fact that Trader Joe's grocery store sells a "Hofbrau Bock". He's insistent in the fact that this is stupid because Hofbrau Munich is a brand name and this TJ's beer is somehow wrong for calling itself Hofbrau.

I'm just curious for anyone that spent time in Germany or is knowledgeable on the subject. My brief searches have indicated that Hofbrau is used informally as "beerpub" in Germany.

Is this the case? Just curious.

The haufbräuhaus in Munich is one of the oldest beer halls in germany - they are the former Royal brewery for Bavaria. Probably the biggest attraction in Munich and their Oktoberfest beer is world famous - one of the biggest beers at the Real Oktoberfest. They do now export their beers and have franchised their beer hall - there is a near replica in Vegas.

Technically I don't think Haufbrau in german could be trademarked (loosely translated as Court Brew as in royal court). But yes it is a cheap ploy on the name.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

There are a few HofBrau "insert city" brands. I believe it means "court brewery", a royal or state owned brewery. Its a generic term, I'm sure its not trademarked.

There are a few HofBrau "insert city" brands. I believe it means "court brewery", a royal or state owned brewery. Its a generic term, I'm sure its not trademarked.

Well my thinking is not trademarked so much as "reserved" such as with Champagne, for example, or Kolsch.

Who cares? If the beer tastes good, it doesn't matter. It can be called "crack whores dirty knickers" and if it's tasty that's what I care about.

TJ's beers happen to be made by some pretty decent breweries, including Unibroue, who cares what they're called- they're really tasty beers for the price. The Vienna Lager is one of the best examples of the style that is available.

Some of them are Gordon Biersch, including the vienna, and GB prides themself on following the Reinheitsgebot, even on their contract brews.

i'm with Revvy, have him change the name to Crack Whore's Dirty Knickers.

I always thought hofbrau literally translated to house brew, since each pub brews it's own beer,or is affiliated with a particular brewer's wares.

I always thought hofbrau literally translated to house brew, since each pub brews it's own beer,or is affiliated with a particular brewer's wares.

The German word for house is haus. The famous beer garden in Munich is called Hofbrauhaus Munich.

Yeah,I know haus alone is house in English. But the phrase hofbrau was described to me as I stated. Idk,...maybe I'm mis-remembering?...got my mind on my BK at the moment as well. Only so much memory to compile with,lolz.

i spent three years there. i always took 'hof' to mean something along the lines of 'a place to gather'. i don't think there is a literal translation for it. 'brau', however, is 'brew'.

'hofbrau', in this context would be like saying 'brewpub'.

As an average American, when I think 'Hofbrau' I think of the specific brand from Germany that offers six packs and 5 litre kegs. The word may be generic in Germany, but it has specific meaning to me as a beer brand.

I call it trademark infringement by Trader Joe's.

I don't know the exact meaning of "hoff" however it is used in other words that cause me to question its only meaning of "court"
Eg. "hauptbahnhoff" which is the generic name for a main train station of a larger city.

I'd bet hoff has several meaning

As an average American, when I think 'Hofbrau' I think of the specific brand from Germany that offers six packs and 5 litre kegs. The word may be generic in Germany, but it has specific meaning to me as a beer brand.

That's enough evidence for a murder conviction in Italy.

Ah, the Germans and their compound nouns.

Haupt = main

Bahn = railroad

haus = house (in this case, "station")

Hof = court
Brau = beer
Haus = house

Im München steht ein Hofbräuhaus,
Eins, zwei, s'guffa!*

*There is no translation for the last word.....kind of means "down the hatch."

Fond memories of Munich in '07, where we were sitting in the Hofbrauhaus about this time of year, "s'guffa-ing."

Im München steht ein Hofbräuhaus,
Eins, zwei, s'guffa!*

*There is no translation for the last word.....kind of means "down the hatch."

Fond memories of Munich in '07, where we were sitting in the Hofbrauhaus about this time of year, "s'guffa-ing."

That would be, "Eins, zwei, gesoffen."

Fond memories from eight grade German classes over 40 years ago.

I really doubt they'd name it that if there was a danger of a lawsuit, but I could be wrong.

It's not my favorite beer of theirs, their Hefeweisen and Vienna beer are much better IMO.

My friend's hysterical overreaction is amusing at least. I sure didn't expect this thread to blow up like this, but I'm glad it's spawned some funny reactions.

Latest posts

Back