The way over engineered thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReuFroman

Reaction score
I started to realize that I tend to over engineer everything. Case and point 1/2" ID counter flow chiller with a 2" cooling hose. It's 36' long. Over kill? No I cool 12 gallons in 7 minutes.
Building a brew panel that is both PID and bcs. Over kill? Nope, I like choices.

What have you over engineered?

I know you can brew it a lot simpler, but it's more fun brewing with lots of technology.

My STC-1000 fermenter control panel... :D

Cover closed, powered up, ready to go!
5bw6.jpg

Cover open:
4j9z.jpg

Thread link, with circuit schematic:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/fancy-schmancy-dual-fermenter-controller-456145/

One for glycol reservoir temps, then one each for the two fermenters that control pumps to the glycol and resistance heat tape for cool/heat control :).

That is awesome! I had a single glycol pump on a st. Way to go with 3.

I know you can brew it a lot simpler, but it's more fun brewing with lots of technology.

I started to realize that I tend to over engineer everything. Case and point 1/2" ID counter flow chiller with a 2" cooling hose. It's 36' long. Over kill? No I cool 12 gallons in 7 minutes.
Building a brew panel that is both PID and bcs. Over kill? Nope, I like choices.

What have you over engineered?

Pics or it didn't happen...lol!

Ummm.. I may be the king of going overboard. This started out as a plan to not have to lift water...

20140123_164228_zpsial2p92y.jpg

This is just to control 2 pumps and BobbyMs RIMS tube

20140121_203214_zpswdwtdloj.jpg

BTW, metal for a single tier stand arrives tomorrow.... Just so I don't have to lift water... yeah. :mug:

Out of curiosity, can you guys say how much these wonderful, over-engineered boxes cost you? I'm getting the hankering to build one, and I wanna know if I need to know how much cash money I need to put aside.

Out of curiosity, can you guys say how much these wonderful, over-engineered boxes cost you? I'm getting the hankering to build one, and I wanna know if I need to know how much cash money I need to put aside.

It's entirely dependent on what you build 'em for. You can build panels for a hundred to a thousand. Depends how many PIDs you want, how many elements you're controlling, if you want bling, what receptacles, etc.

I agree. It can be at least $100 and on up to full commercial 30k panels.

I started adding up parts and stopped at $1250. It was cool and sad. I'm pretty sure I am close to 2k in the panel. It is exactly what I wanted it to be.

My little box for the STC's wasn't too bad...Figure $200-250 for the whole thing.

What really got me was the $450 floor standing drill press I purchased! :p

My little box for the STC's wasn't too bad...Figure $200-250 for the whole thing.

Whatever, every guy here knows that you get to buy a new tool for every project. That's why I bought a fixer upper house some years back, I am pretty set up now. LOL!

A drill press....damn I could use on of those...

I've got a fancy 3rd generation electric system with lots of stainless bling. But I like the old junk that was "over-engineered" in a junkyard sense.

This was my bottling bucket ( before I kegged ). I could do 2 bottles at the same time. Woot!
This is how I monitored when my bottled beer was finished carbonating. Haha.

How to maintain my autosiphon at the perfect depth...
How to mill grain when you don't have a mill... use the paper shredder

Make your own 2.5g fermenter with a jar from Target...

And, my 17,000 gallon beer chilling system and pool noodle flotation device. Can't believe I moved away from that :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that my TeensyNet project might be considered over-engineered, since I can have multiple network-connected discoverable devices, each of which is capable of controlling 36 1-wire devices, all of which can be monitored and controlled by anything capable of running a web browser. :mug:

Actually, that sentence might even be considered over-engineered :drunk:

That's awesome!

I've got a fancy 3rd generation electric system with lots of stainless bling. But I like the old junk that was "over-engineered" in a junkyard sense.

How to mill grain when you don't have a mill... use the paper shredder

And, my 17,000 gallon beer chilling system and pool noodle flotation device. Can't believe I moved away from that :D

These two are just pure genius!!!
"Dear, I'm going to use the paper shredder for a bit to grind some grain"
Wife -- "You're going to do what, with what???? No f'ing way!!!!"

These two are just pure genius!!!
"Dear, I'm going to use the paper shredder for a bit to grind some grain"
Wife -- "You're going to do what, with what???? No f'ing way!!!!"

Imagine if that pot of wort tipped over in the pool.

Here is my over engineered ferm chamber. I gutted the compressor from a mini fridge. It has a drawer that slides out to easily get carboys in and out. I added some poly board on the inside and the hinges on the door pop off to make cleaning a breeze. I recently switched from a boring love temp controller to a solo controller with RS485 port. I cabled out the RS485 port and got a serial to USB adapter so I can use the free SW for it to set ramp/soak temp profiles. No more manually dropping the temp 2F every day to get to lagering temps. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392306621.573197.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392306223.994504.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392306342.077357.jpg

Here is my over engineered ferm chamber. I gutted the compressor from a mini fridge. It has a drawer that slides out to easily get carboys in and out. I added some poly board on the inside and the hinges on the door pop off to make cleaning a breeze. I recently switched from a boring love temp controller to a solo controller with RS485 port. I cabled out the RS485 port and got a serial to USB adapter so I can use the free SW for it to set ramp/soak temp profiles. No more manually dropping the temp 2F every day to get to lagering temps.

Any chance you have a build thread on this?!?! Many things there I like and I am at a point where I can make a change still.

Here is my over engineered ferm chamber. I gutted the compressor from a mini fridge. It has a drawer that slides out to easily get carboys in and out. I added some poly board on the inside and the hinges on the door pop off to make cleaning a breeze. I recently switched from a boring love temp controller to a solo controller with RS485 port. I cabled out the RS485 port and got a serial to USB adapter so I can use the free SW for it to set ramp/soak temp profiles. No more manually dropping the temp 2F every day to get to lagering temps. View attachment 179094

View attachment 179086

View attachment 179090

Oh that's nice.

I've started designing a variety of mash paddles to be cut on this (well one just like it...):
AXYZ-Router-Ormond-big.jpg
I have access to this machine at school (ETSU) and have been using CAD for several years in my studies here. It only makes sense to utilize this equipment my technology fees have been paying for ;) More as I get materials and get paddles cut! (Also we have been designing and building electric guitars, if any of you are interested in checking that out please check out our facebook page. Just search for "ETSU guitar building" )

I bought the Monster Mill 2 and decided from the beginning that I would motorize it. The only motor I had laying around was a Baldor 1 HP motor, and I didn't see the point in paying good money for a fractional-horse motor when I had this perfectly good one on hand. The thing is a beast, weighs about 30 lbs. and delivers much more power than I could even need. I geared it down 10:1 with a big flywheel. If I ever get my fingers caught in the mill, it's going to pull me in. :)

Ummm.. I may be the king of going overboard. This started out as a plan to not have to lift water...

20140123_164228_zpsial2p92y.jpg

This is just to control 2 pumps and BobbyMs RIMS tube

20140121_203214_zpswdwtdloj.jpg

BTW, metal for a single tier stand arrives tomorrow.... Just so I don't have to lift water... yeah. :mug:

Hold the phone...
Not having to lift heavy pots of water and the ability to brew bigger batches is why I am picking up metal for a 3 burner single tier right after our move next week. Little does she know its $200 in metal but she doesn't realize there is a new brew pot and a pump or two being added to that.

That's great. Wish I could sneak in some brew gear.

Hold the phone...
Not having to lift heavy pots of water and the ability to brew bigger batches is why I am picking up metal for a 3 burner single tier right after our move next week. Little does she know its $200 in metal but she doesn't realize there is a new brew pot and a pump or two being added to that.

I like your style! Momma is on board with my brew purchases, but the not lifting stuff excuse allowed me to buy a welder.

20140216_190429_zpsexpjkb6s.jpg

Back