The ultimate sacrifice, will my beer be okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
I just made the ultimate sacrifice. The fridge in the kitchen bit the dust so I took the keg and Co2 canister out of the garage fridge and moved everything from the kitchen fridge into my garage fridge.

The keg is still pressurized but I'm in KS and it's going to be 100F again today so the keg is going to get warm. Will my beer going from cold to hot and then back to cold cause it to taste funny? Should I just dump it?

It won't have as long of a shelf life, but probably be good when you get back. Can you not move the keg to somewhere room temperature? That would be much better.

I am not familiar with 100F temperatures, but how does bottled beer hold at this temperature ? If it holds fine, then your kegged beer will hold fine as well.
Also , do you have AC inside ? In that case, if you are worried, you can simply move your kegs inside.

You'll be absolutely fine. That is probably the least concerning thing I've ever seen anybody threaten to dump a batch over :D

It's not fermenting anymore so temperature flux won't cause the yeast to spew out off-flavors.

i will second the put it inside, i had the same thing happen to me, except it was the beer fridge died. Beer is fine, just chill be for you drink, no worries, or go with dwarven, party time with ice and kill the keg

It's not fermenting anymore so temperature flux won't cause the yeast to spew out off-flavors.

I kinda sorta agree/disagree. At normal fermenting temps it isn't really fermenting any more. But at 100+ there is a chance for a ferment to begin IMHO. It will still likely be OK, but as others have said, take it in the house.

Okay to play it safe the keg and Co2 canister are now in the guest room at a comfy 72F :)

Still disappointing though, that porter had just hit that age when it starts being really really good. Hopefully we'll have a replacement on Monday though.

Latest posts

Back