The Trub Remover 3000 - aka "how I leave trub behind"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenenglund

Reaction score
I am a 5 gallon (finished beer) brewer who is also a cheapo, so when it comes time to bottling or kegging, I often sucked up a little too much trub in an effort to "get all the beer." But after too much yeasty brew, I've begun to be an adult and leave the trub behind.

So I recently made the Trub Remover 3000, which is a piece of solid tubing with some tiny holes in it, a couple inches from the plugged end. Then it fits into my pump/siphon and perfectly pulls beer from just above the trub line. I was thinking I could make 2 or 3 more, with the little holes at various heights so that I could use one appropriate for the amount of crap in any particular carboy's batch. The pics show my CDA being pulled from my carboy to my keg. A slight tilt at the end got the last bit of beer out.

Anyway, I've only done two beers with this thing and both have came out great. It's a cheap and easy fix.

DSCF1246.JPGDSCF1248.JPGDSCF1249.JPGDSCF1250.JPGDSCF1251.JPGDSCF1254.JPGDSCF1255.JPG

I've used the floating dip tubes when transferring and that takes the clear beer from the top, you stop when it gets near the trub. :mug:

Back