The Tacos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fa1321tx

Reaction score
Not sure of all of there locations but I wonder how many drunk bastards venture out in the late night to score Jack in the Box Tacos?

I've only ever eaten at JitB very late at night when they were one of the few things still open. (This was when I lived in San Jose, CA).

But, I never got Tacos from them. The one I went to was right next door to a small Taco joint called "Taco Taco" and thier food was really tastey (in that super unhealthy kind of way.)

I even learned their secret lingo at Taco Taco, so I would just order a "Green Bean", which was a bean burrito with spicey tomatillo salsa. The things weighed about 2 lbs and cost something rediculous like $1.50.

-walker

Well the JITB tacos are a classic after a night of drinking food thats when they taste ther best.

We don't have JITB here. Illinois only has McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and the occassional Steak N' Shake. We're in a burger crisis here.

But, for tacos, we have some of THE best Mexican food in the country. Why go to a gringo when a vato can make it better?

The best tacos around here are the ones from the lunch trucks that show up at street corners on the weekends, or at construction sites during the weekdays. A couple of them even make their own tortillas. About as close as I've found Stateside to the taco stands in Mexico. Alas, nobody North of the Border does authentic tacos al pastor :(

I know what you're saying about JITB tacos. I have friends who live in Texas and can go to a JITB. They rave about the tacos for the same reason. It isn't that they are as good what you can get at an authentic taqueria - they aren't. They're just great, cheap, very portable, after-a-late-night-out munchie that won't make a mess in your car or on your lap. Kind of the 'White Castle' of tacos!

IIRC, Burger King had a limited run taco about a year ago. My friends told me it was similar to the JITB taco, so I tried it. I could see the appeal!:D

True, there's some good Mexican food here in the Chicago area, like Nuevo Leon on 18th Street. But we can't touch Texas; trust me! Benito's on Magnolia in Fort Worth is one of my all-time favorites! Ultra authentic - no chips and salsa are served - but the handmade tortillas and pico de gallo are the best! And they're open until 3AM! Or at least, they used to be. For Tex-Mex, Matt's El Rancho in Austin is dear to my heart!

Personally, I'd rather have their egg rolls late at night. I kind of think the tacos are crappy. I just had some this weekend, based on this thread actually.

A couple years ago I had to drive from Phoenix AZ to Modesto CA. I stopped in Needles, CA to get gas and a bite to eat, and the JITB was about the only thing open. While I was eating a truck pulled up and ordered something like 30 tacos. The staff were running back to the freezer to see if they had any more. I about had a heart attack just thinking about 30 of those deep fried things.

I recall my first JITB taco tasting
bad so it must be one of those things that grows [on the waist too!] on you. But they are a good drunk snack.
As for mexican food there could be a new thread for that.
But in Houston there is no shortage of good places!
Adobe Cafe on Sheperd is my favorite. Another one is Papasitos this is a big chain but the food is great. I should mention I always order beef fajitas so this is how I gauge places.

Back