the smell of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moistrous

Reaction score
Hi, i'm totally new to home brewing and I can't wait to try it out. I just have one question, how strong a smell does fermenting beer have? I don't want people on the other side of my wall knowing what i'm up to. Can I simply leave the window open with a fan running or will i need some sort of scent absorber thing?

Thanks!

moistrous said:
Hi, i'm totally new to home brewing and I can't wait to try it out. I just have one question, how strong a smell does fermenting beer have? I don't want people on the other side of my wall knowing what i'm up to. Can I simply leave the window open with a fan running or will i need some sort of scent absorber thing?

Thanks!

Fermenting beer has very little smell, at least as far as disturbing the neighbors. I keep my fermenter in a small closet and never notice the smell when the door is closed.

Boiling the brew is a different story. It's not a strong smell, but it is noticable. But then boiling only lasts for an hour or so.

Joe

joe said:
Fermenting beer has very little smell, at least as far as disturbing the neighbors. I keep my fermenter in a small closet and never notice the smell when the door is closed.

Boiling the brew is a different story. It's not a strong smell, but it is noticable. But then boiling only lasts for an hour or so.

Joe

Boiling may only last an hour or so, but the smell of brewing lasts for hours. We brewed Sunday and then went shopping. We were gone for hours, and when we came home, the smells of brewing greeted us good and strong.

Im not positive but im sure a lighter beer would smell less than a stout..

I guess, i dont know who your neighbors are or why you would care is they smeel your brew... But my last pale ale bre didnt smell enought to even smell it in a the same room it was brewing (the kitchen) Wine on the other hand i can smell in that rom but not in any others..

Brewing your own isnt illegal and should not disturb anyone.. if your worried about the smel while boiling your wart then do it outside in the drive way, get a turkey cooker setup for $30-$40 bucks and do it outside.. no worries.

Jason

A friend of mine told me that he once brewed in his driveway...some people in his neighborhood called the police saying he was brewing up meth. Too much of "60 Minutes" can be a bad thing!

Daztrout said:
A friend of mine told me that he once brewed in his driveway...some people in his neighborhood called the police saying he was brewing up meth. Too much of "60 Minutes" can be a bad thing!
Hmm, I don't know why you'd worry that much about it. It's none of their business if you make beer or not.
With that said, actual brewing has some aromas that have been mentioned, as for fermentation, some yeasts give off some sulphur smells that smell like rotten eggs or a bad fart, but after a few days, that goes away too!

Daztrout said:

Of course, Nick called the house he rented a crack house, what were the neighbors to think? He was using the prototype "Ken's Mega Mash Tower" you know ;) Now they can be found from Washington to Vermont to North Carolina and back. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the Forum!

Ken T. aka "Tha Beerman"

moistrous said:

Thanks!

Ok, if you are really worried about the smell-let's say hypothetically that you do not want someone you live with to know that you are brewing-then you can buy 20 feet of whatever diameter plastic tubing will fit into your fermentor blow off hole, and run the tubing from your closet to the outside. If these is no access to the outside then fill an empty paper towel roll with dried laundry powder detergent and put fabric softener sheets on each end with elastics to hold it in place. Cut a hole large enough for your tube and you will have a filter for the smell that will also leave your clothes snuggly fresh.

Daztrout said:

This cracks me up! :p People actually thought that he was cooking meth in the driveway? Too far out...

i was worried about the same thing when I started out. a good answer would be, my wife hates beer, yet my carboy is in the bedroom sitting on her side of the bed. that's how little you can smell it. it's not bad at all really. I thought too that it would smell like a brewery. the worst thing is when you are sanitizing with sodium metabisulphite, that stuff will take your breath away when splashing it around.

Latest posts

Back