The Russians wasted their time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPhunk

Reaction score
Instead of spending millions getting to a fresh water lake beneath tons of ice to study the microbes, they could have just saved the time and money and studied the stuff that grows in my uncleaned bottles.

Well supposedly the Americans wasted their time and money in the cold war developing a space pen that would work in 0 gravity and then the Russians solved that problem by using a pencil. Or so I heard somewhere.

bwomp313 said:
Well supposedly the Americans wasted their time and money in the cold war developing a space pen that would work in 0 gravity and then the Russians solved that problem by using a pencil. Or so I heard somewhere.

Common urban legend. The Fisher pen company developed the "space pen" as it came to be called independently, and NASA chose to use it because not only did it work extremely well, it was cost effective, didn't require inconvenient sharpening (shavings in zero g? Ouch!), and writes on surfaces that pencils do not.
I've owned several of then myself, and always found them to be very comfortable.

Common urban legend. The Fisher pen company developed the "space pen" as it came to be called independently, and NASA chose to use it because not only did it work extremely well, it was cost effective, didn't require inconvenient sharpening (shavings in zero g? Ouch!), and writes on surfaces that pencils do not.
I've owned several of then myself, and always found them to be very comfortable.

well now I'm glad that I said "supposedly" and "so I heard"

I use these pretty frequently as well. They work well for writing in the rain and I think 'rite-in-the-rain' brand has a similar model.

blueballsbrewer said:

I was making a joke about the time and money spent to study micro organisms under tons of ice vs studying the micro organisms that live in my uncleaned bottles

Yeah, I've had some pretty nasty s--- grow in my bottles, but I'd still definitely go with the pencil. Just seems easier to me, lol...

I'm looking forward to what they find under the ice, I'm hoping for a new strain of yeast that has esters that taste like bacon

Latest posts

Back