The Reliability Of People Wanting To Learn How To Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
The more people I meet who find out I brew and are interested in coming over to partake and learn from a brew session the more I realize that most people are only interested in the idea of brewing.

It seems that every time someone finds out about me brewing they become super keen to get in on a session only to back out when I call them up with plenty of notice.

I have heard the line , "Call me anytime. I'm totally in!!!" so many times yet have only ever had help from two fellow brewing friends.

I think the idea of creating and drinking untold amounts of your own brew seems pretty fantastic but when it comes to committing 5+ hours of time to an all-grain batch people opt to go buy their beer more often than not.

Is this just me, or do I just have a lot of loser friends?

No I think that's pretty common, when I worked for a short time in a home brew shop many people came in and bought kits and never returned. I think a lot of people think it would be cool but they do one batch, get discouraged, and never try it again.

Refer to my signature. I gave up after 4 or 5 people said they'd "totally be down," to come learn how to brew, only to flake out at the last minute. It's not easy doing 3 batches back-to-back by yourself.

On the upside, one friend liked my beer so much he's willing to buy the ingredients and have me brew them for him in exchange for 50% of the batch. 2.5 gallons of free beer for me, just for doing the leg work. :D

I hear all the time from my friends, "dude, you gotta invite me over when you brew". I always say "Cool, be over at 8 A.M. ". That's when the waffling starts. I also like, "I'd like to but I don't know if I have the patience". That's when I say, "don't even start then". You know they'll rush it, make bad beer the first time, and quit.

i have the best luck on football sundays.

invite them over to brew and watch the game. people are more likely to come over early to brew, when they know they can go inside to drink and watch the game during the waiting periods.

When I started at a new company last year I taught a course on how to brew all-grain as there was a huge interest. I had around 11 people show up for the two night course which took place on successive Thursday evenings. I went through recipe formulation and the process and coupled it with a tasting.

Out of the class there was three people who were absolutely charged up and wanting to brew right away.

Not a single one did but they all asked on several occasions when the next tasting would be.

Haha same thing with me and I've only just begun.

I honestly think people are just excited by the idea of it, and more than anything just want the rewards with none of the work.

That's what I'm afraid of too. I think that brewing is fun and you get some delicious beer when you are done, but it's a bit of work, and takes experience and some $$ to do right. Most people are happy just to know the process and only a few are willing to put forth the effort to learn the secrets and get better at it.

Even if you get one or two who give it a try, actually doing it yourself is often more work and less fun than most people will consent to.

I'd take those couple of people and let them brew with you a few times. Charge them half the cost of the ingredients and give them half the beer. After all, you are getting help with the brew and they get some hands-on and some beer and they can see if they really want to spend the money to do it after all.

Were they drinking your beer or drinking at all when they said that? People promise all kinds of things and have ideas to do all kinds of stuff after having a few. More beers more ideas. Even I do it but have learned over the years to just tell people "sounds fun but I have to tell you don't count on me".

When I wanted to get into brewing I did some reading, just quick stuff, and it didn't take me long to know what I was up against in regards to work, time and money but still did it. If they REALLY wanted to do it they could just do it themselves when they wanted to and were ready instead of waiting for you. That is usually what I do, just try it myself. Brewing beer is not that complicated you need a teacher standing next to you, fun and nice but not necessary. My guess is they are busy or not really as interested as they thought they were before (drinking?).

Yup... same reaction here.

One showed up 30 min late... appologetic. The others called durring the brewing saying they couldn't make it (as they were neighbors... and I saw them Drive away at the time I started... I already knew and didn't pick up the phone)

I had invited them over to "Brew... then have Pizza and beer"

Well guess what... they all showed up at 3 pm for Pizza and Beer.....

When they tasted the brew they all said it was GREAT and they now wanted to learn how to brew and wanted to borrow my equipment to do so.....

Yea... that's when my eye's rolled back into my head and I put them on "IGGY".

Now I only share the beer I wan't them to drink as I find the ones I like and keep them for myself...:rockin:

It's the same thing in any hobby. Heck, gyms rely on this when they make you sign a 6-month or 1-year deal knowing that you'll be paying but not showing up after week1.

It kind of makes sense--there's a ton of hobbies in the world. Unless something really hooks you, move on to the next. You'll find something you love pretty quickly.

I notice that when people share details of their hobby with me that I may not really be interested in, out of courtesy I show interest which often leads to their excitement and me finding myself in an awkward position of continuing to show interest or admitting I was just being polite and not really that interested. This may be the case here. I'm sure I have been on the other side of that coin as well.

Good thread.

I have had on many occasions, people come watch me Brew. A few of them have said that no way would they want to run around and work like that for a Hobbie. But the beer, Man it's good. So yuh, the drinking part they love. When it comes to the 6-8 hour Brewing part, they have other plans.

It's the same thing in any hobby. Heck, gyms rely on this when they make you sign a 6-month or 1-year deal knowing that you'll be paying but not showing up after week1.

It kind of makes sense--there's a ton of hobbies in the world. Unless something really hooks you, move on to the next. You'll find something you love pretty quickly.

You are absolutely right. However, I think you need to get on the "cheap jibes at the lesser non-brewing mortal" idea. Honestly, those non brew magic muggles are seriously retarded! :D

My teammates always have a standing invite to help me brew, and a few of them have showed up at 8:00 am when I fire up the kettles. Lately, I've been brewing before matches so they tend to show up. :D

The way I figure it...I'm brewing either way and I'm always happy to show others the ropes if they care to stop by.

I've actually gone out of my way to tell people if they want to come over to expect to work and get dirty and to wear something warm because we might be standing around outdoors a lot. I've gone to lengths to clearly explain that it is a lot of work. Nonetheless, they still say they have to learn and that they are presently looking for equipment. Most are not a couple of beers in to a session when they say this either.

To thwart the disappointment I adapted my setup so that there isn't any heavy lifting and the fly sparge runs itself with little maintenance. Last brew day, I barely paid any attention to it at all and spent the majority of the time playing guitar or watching tv. I always am sure to offer anyone who is willing to come over more beer than they can drink and still have had little success with people actually showing up.

On the good side, those that have come back and continue to help out when I ask them and are very clear when they are unable to. Those that haven't, don't know what they are missing.

This happens to me all the time. I'll invite you twice. If you're a no show both times then you're on the list and you never get another invite. :D

This is so true, and I also follow the two invite rule. Twice now people have stopped by and brought their wives, which is funny. When wives come over because their husband is interested in brewing and see the keezer and the brew stand they get the kind of look a bank teller would get when a robber passes her a note. Stifled panic.

I never invite a none brewer to brew.
I show them round the kit and talk them through it.
If after that they want to help brew then they are welcome.
I'd say one in 3 or 4 make it back.

Well the only person who really seemed interested in learning to brew has made 2 beers and a wine and has a couple more batches planned.

What i've been more surprised at is the number of people I have found that also brew or have brewed in the past. I have found that 2 of my 3 Brother-in-laws brewed in the past and atleast 5 coworkers brew on occasion.

Craig

Twice now people have stopped by and brought their wives, which is funny. When wives come over because their husband is interested in brewing and see the keezer and the brew stand they get the kind of look a bank teller would get when a robber passes her a note. Stifled panic.

My GF bought me the kit and brews with me. She gets the opposite look when I mention getting kegging equipment: barely contained glee. My mom used to brew when I was young.

While a stovetop PM batch was cooling, a brew-guzzling friend who came over to watch asked "so when can we drink it?"

When I told him it would be several weeks before it was ready to drink, he bailed.

My brother and my buddy both say to let them about brew day, I do, I brew alone
My BIL and FIL are 2 hours away but I guarantee when the free weekend comes they CAN make it they will. my FIL made a batch of JOAM after trying mine and seems pretty interested in it all. We're going up this weekend. Maybe I'll pick up a 5G extract kit and take up there. Leave him my ale pail.

The only person that has ever come over for a brew session to my house is my buddy who got me into brewing. My brother-in-law came over once and looked in the pot while I was heating a decoction, then left. Several other friend invited for other brew sessions, none have ever showed.

That's all ok though. Now while I wait during a rest or a boil I just surf HBT. You guys never bail while I'm brewing. :tank:

Just the opposite here.All of my friends(3 of them) who actually like good beer have tried mine and since got into brewing:).On the other end of the stick,my BMC drinking friends are not invited to brew or offered one of mine.I'll give them one if they ask,but thats about it.

My GF bought me the kit and brews with me. She gets the opposite look when I mention getting kegging equipment: barely contained glee. My mom used to brew when I was young.

My wife encourages me too, but I think its easier when they see it start with a stock pot we already own and a plastic bucket.

i have a friend who says he wants to learn, not sure how into he really would be. there is another guy on the forum here who wants to come over and take a look at AG, and i have more faith in them showing up then my friend, haha.

its a hobby that hooks your or it doesnt. plenty of friends who love craft beer, but dont really want to take the time to brew. doesn't bother me at all, if i had my way, i'd brew alone anyway, its my time. dont mind showing someone, but dont want to make it a regular thing either.

I have one guy that always wants to come over when I brew, trouble is every time he comes over I forget to do a hop addition or something because we get chatting and I forget my schedules, to be honest I'd rather not have people come over and help me brew.

Cheers to that!!! If only I didn't live in a tiny apartment - I'd be pimping the equipment for sure. My beginning brew kit was a gift from my darling husband because I kept mentioning it over and over. Now we brew together...

Let's face it, boys and girls, its kind of a strange enterprise we're all involved in. As a consequence of four or five hours of labor, an investment of hundreds of dollars for some of us and some genuinly difficult study of hydrology, attenuation and thermodynamics, we produce something that although personally gratifying, can be had at the local craft brewer shop for a fraction of the time and effort.

We're not like others. Now, get over it and enjoy your craft.

Cheers.

I find that is true even with people who brew! I do grain and extra - there is a lot of extract brewers out there that want to see all grain done so I ask them if they want to come by. 90% of the time they don't show and if they do they only stick around for an hour or so. They guess they either don't want to clean or didn't realize how much was actually involved.

I've decided that - in the future - if I actually have someone show up that wants to learn to go "all grain" I'll just go the simplest process and equipment route.

Let's face it, boys and girls, its kind of a strange enterprise we're all involved in. As a consequence of four or five hours of labor, an investment of hundreds of dollars for some of us and some genuinly difficult study of hydrology, attenuation and thermodynamics, we produce something that although personally gratifying, can be had at the local craft brewer shop for a fraction of the time and effort.

We're not like others. Now, get over it and enjoy your craft.

Cheers.

You couldn't be more wrong about everything if you were French. If someone brought me a plate of home cooked food that just blew my mind, I would be more than happy to show up at their doorstep at 5 AM, required ingredients in hand, in order to learn how they did it. Sure, I can go eat food at a restaurant, but learning how to make food that's as good as, or better than, what can be had at expensive restaurants would thrill me.

Also, if your beer is only as good as what you can buy at the store, it's time to step up your game.

Now, get over that and enjoy your craft.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA.. way to throw down Llama. I gotta agree with you both.

We are different. Something else is driving us to brew because it probably isn't worth it when you look at it financially and probably isn't worth the investment of time either but that doesn't change the fact that we love it. The exact type of person who would want to brew would want to learn how to cook delicious food.

Let's face it folks... we ARE freaks and we revel in that fact.

I've had a lot of people insist I call them next time I brew.

I say "sure...". I never intend to call.....2 reasons:

1) Their enthusiasm is usually heightened by my HB they've been guzzling.
B) It would interfere with my mash/nap.

I mean...what am I gonna do, roll in a spare cot for them to stretch out on while I'm slumbering during a 90 minute mash?

My brew time is my time.

Let's face it, boys and girls...we produce something that...can be had at the local craft brewer shop for a fraction of the time and effort.

....Now, get over it and enjoy your craft.

I don't know where you buy your hops & grains...and I don't know where you shop for craft beer...but if you've got a local beer shop where you can buy Bell's Two Hearted for 22 cents a bottle...let me know.

I've taught at least a dozen people to brew, and 4 of them are now serious brewers, but to be honest I savor the solo brew days. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the company and love to share my enthusiasm, experience, and beer. Brewing is, however, a zen activity as was mentioned. I'm always faster, cleaner, and more accurate by myself because I'm not a teacher and a cook on top of just a guy making some of beer.

Back