The RDWHAH experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming the same is true for the others, but all I'm offering is some good natured ribbing. I'm sure the OP expected nothing less. :ban:
Of course!

Make sure it is outside and gets plenty of sunlight!
no good spot to brew outside, no good sunlight spot inside
Make sure every time you intentionally make a "mistake"
You actually drink a home brew.
Of course!
Can't wait to see how this turns out. A few more suggestions:
1) Start your siphon with your mouth
2) Use clear bottles
3) Stick your un-sanatized hands in the wort (post boil) a couple of times
I'll do number 1, but don't have clear bottles. I'll probably be using a glass carboy so I can watch the process.
Rent someone's two-year-old to "help you brew" because it'll be a good father-son bonding experience.

That ought to do it.
I've got a 7 and a 9 year old I can borrow from my brother.
Throw a boil over in there as well. That's always fun.
Can't boil over when you don't boil!
Don't forget a soggy Cheeto in Primary.
Sure!

Dont forget to set the fermenter in the bathroom next to the toilet with no airlock.

maybe boil all of your grains in the kettle for 60 minutes, then dump everything into buckets, and pitch yeast in that once it cools,

separate later

Dont forget to set the fermenter in the bathroom next to the toilet with no airlock.

I'm not sure I would even want to drink the beer after this...

As for my first post about not cooling your wort down before pitching... this has other effects other than killing yeast as you've implied.

Even if you're not pitching for a few days, the dangers of not cooling your wort can be pretty extreme. You get no cold break, so your proteins will still be in the wort when you rack. Also, the longer it takes to cool, the more chances bacteria has to fester and reproduce. They love temps around 80-120 from what I hear.

When you bottle don't worry about disolving any DME in water and adding to the bottling bucket. Just pour some household sugar in each bottle, cap, shake, and leave in a hot room to carbonate.

im no expert, but by not boiling the wort at all, Im thinking you're not even giving this a chance.

otherwise - hydrometers be damned. and make sure you take the top of your fermenter to look in and see whats going on. dump some starsan in your wort. add some oats to some bottles to see what happens with them .

Simulate a lost rubber grommet when the airlock is put in place; touch the bottom of the bucket with an unsanitized arm.

Also, allow fermentation temps to fluctuate 20 degrees Fahrenheit

Not to sound like a giant prick, but this seems like a pretty stupid idea. This sounds like a giant waste of time, energy, and money just to dump something down the drain, that is of course unless you plan on drinking this train wreck you're trying to create. There are cheaper ways to drink crappy beer - ie: BMC.

Not to sound like a giant prick

Uh huh...

I don't see why it's such a bad idea. If it turns out relatively fine with so many crazy mistakes, then it just says that you can make a couple of mistakes while brewing and you don't have to beat yourself up over it. Everything could still turn out fine; no one is perfect in their technique to begin with. Besides, it's his time and his money, and he can do with it what he pleases.

I think this is a really original and creative idea. I do have to agree with the poster that said you have to at least give this thing a chance. Do you want to make this a legit RDWHAHB experiment, where you're intentionally making some common beginner mistakes but still hoping to turn out a decent beer, or are you just trying to see how disgusting you can make a batch? I think the mistakes you need to incorporate are the ones that are commonly made, but unless things go horribly wrong, will usually still result in the beer being okay. Don't include some of the mistakes that have a 90% chance of completely destroying your beer, with a slight possibility that it might be okay.

For example, mash hot, but still at a temp you know will convert. Don't mash at a temp you know will kill all the enzymes. Don't sanitize your equipment, but don't use completely soiled, moldy stuff either. A beginner can forget to sanitize this or that, but even the complete noobs won't put their beer in a bucket with mud and hairballs in it.

More of moved, left all my all grain stuff behind, and never got around to it. Some day when I have time I might revisit it.

Here are some bottling fails, i will update in a few weeks:

- bottling wand stuck due to dryhopping so i bottled directly from the tube with mad splashing and dirty fingertips
- i splashed some of the leftover wort directly into a bottle from the bucket
- i collected the fill overs and free flowing wort between two bottles in a big pot during bottling and then measured it's FG and then put it into a bottle

There is also mad sediment in those bottles, i syphoned the wort from the bottom of the bucket.

I expect oxidation and infection issues from those bottles, will update the thread.

Here are some bottling fails, i will update in a few weeks:

- bottling wand stuck due to dryhopping so i bottled directly from the tube with mad splashing and dirty fingertips
- i splashed some of the leftover wort directly into a bottle from the bucket
- i collected the fill overs and free flowing wort between two bottles in a big pot during bottling and then measured it's FG and then put it into a bottle

There is also mad sediment in those bottles, i syphoned the wort from the bottom of the bucket.

I expect oxidation and infection issues from those bottles, will update the thread.

I can see visible bubbles levitating upwards in the last two, most messed up bottles, i wonder if that means some bottle bombs will happen later.

I can see visible bubbles levitating upwards in the last two, most messed up bottles, i wonder if that means some bottle bombs will happen later.

Be careful. Have you ever seen what yeast slurry can do to a sealed jar? I don't know what it is, but that yeast sediment can have a life of its own.

You will make swill, but it may not go completely lacto as long as you really mash at 165. Otherwise the bugs will already be in charge since you aren't boiling.

Good luck. Or bad luck. Or whatever it is you want, exactly.

Be careful. Have you ever seen what yeast slurry can do to a sealed jar? I don't know what it is, but that yeast sediment can have a life of its own.

I will open it's cap slightly until i can hear it hissing and then will recap it, i am curious about the possible off-tastes even if the carbonation will be really weak this way.

I will open it's cap slightly until i can hear it hissing and then will recap it, i am curious about the possible off-tastes even if the carbonation will be really weak this way.

So i opened the most disgusting bottle today (it spent 5-6 months in the bottle @70F) and while carbonation was low (since i opened it during the first weeks because i had fears about bottle bombs) it tastes as good as ever, color and smell are all right and taste too expect for weak carb. Despite it had all the chance to get oxidated and maybe infected it turned out good for some reason.

Back