The Rare Barrel Base Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbbransc

Reaction score
New show on the Brewing Network called The Sour Hour featuring host Jay Goodwin, co-founder of The Rare Barrel. On episode 1 he gave The Rare Barrel base malt bills. On episode 2, he clarified a bit more. I thought I'd type these grists up and see how we can play with them.

Golden (loosely based on lambic) - 12*P
- 70% base malt (pick your poison)
- 12% malted wheat
- 6% rolled oats
- 6% spelt malt (sub wheat if you can't procure spelt)
- 6% special aromatic (specifically Franco-Belges)

Red - 14*P
- 70% base
- 12% wheat
- 4.5% rolled oats
- 4.5% spelt malt
- 4.5% special aromatic
- 4.5% crystal 60
- use dehusked black to adjust color to you liking; ~1%

Bruin - 16*P
- 70% base
- 12% wheat
- 3.6% rolled oats
- 3.6% spelt malt
- 3.6% special aromatic
- 3.6% crystal 60
- 3.6% chocolate

**If you see any errors, let me know and I'll adjust.

New show on the Brewing Network called The Sour Hour featuring host Jay Goodwin, co-founder of The Rare Barrel. On episode 1 he gave The Rare Barrel base malt bills. On episode 2, he clarified a bit more. I thought I'd type these grists up and see how we can play with them.

Golden (loosely based on lambic) - 12*P
- 70% base malt (pick your poison)
- 12% malted wheat
- 6% rolled oats
- 6% spelt malt (sub wheat if you can't procure wheat)
- 6% special aromatic (specifically Franco-Belges)

Red - 14*P
- 70% base
- 12% wheat
- 4.5% rolled oats
- 4.5% spelt malt
- 4.5% special aromatic
- 4.5% crystal 60

Bruin - 16*P
- 70% base
- 12% wheat
- 3.6% rolled oats
- 3.6% spelt malt
- 3.6% special aromatic
- 3.6% crystal 60
- 3.6% chocolate

**If you see any errors, let me know and I'll adjust.

I missed that episode but I am a RRB member for 2015....can't wait :)

If I had a trustee I'd do it. Looks like they are sold out for 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think Jay mentioned you can sub in wheat if you can't find spelt. Was there any word on mash temps?

I believe 158-160 mash temp was recommended. Higher temp is better for the lacto to do its thing.

Thanks for posting! Saved me from needing to go back and listen to exact part where Jay provided the malt bills. Question though, if I sub the spelt, do I use more wheat malt or flaked wheat?

Thanks for posting! Saved me from needing to go back and listen to exact part where Jay provided the malt bills. Question though, if I sub the spelt, do I use more wheat malt or flaked wheat?

I would guess malted wheat. I've listened to the podcast again recently looking for a mash temp suggestion (there wasn't one) and he commented if you can't find spelt, just substitute it with more wheat. Assuming that means more of the malted wheat he'd already mentioned.

I brewed up a batch of the golden on the 26th and pitched ECY20. I used Briess 2-Row and mashed at 155*

qzWohQ

Last edited:

I think it's actually unmalted wheat.

I did the math for a 6 gallon recipe

OG 1.048 / 75% mash efficiency
7# base malt
1.2# wheat malt
0.6# rolled oats
0.6# spelt (or unmalted wheat)
0.6# franco belges special aromatic (not the same as normal aromatic)

What are you guys using for IBUs on this? Keeping it between 0-10?

I think they're keeping it close to zero as far as I can determine. Perhaps, it's as simple as no hops :D

http://www.weyermannmalt.com/eng/gelbe_seiten_bm_en.asp?snr=1&idkat=1209&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2

Anyone know of a source for spelt malt and the special aromatic?

I also had a hard time tracking down spelt malt so I picked up some spelt berries to malt myself. I just brewed a saison with two pounds of home-malted spelt and it worked out very well. The malting process was easy, but it takes a few days.

There's a thread on here for malting wheat and that's the guide I used.

I should have taken these notes. Thanks for posting. Look forward to playing off some of these for upcoming batches.

I'm brewing up a batch of the golden this weekend. I tend to get 80% efficiency lately. I plan to have 15 gallons of it at knockout to then ferment with a mixed culture of stepped up dregs from a bottle of Russian River/Sierra Nevada's Brux collaboration beer.

So here's my planned recipe based on the golden for anyone who would like to deal not in percentages. The old mission hops are a wild variety that was found growing on the mission peninsula in Michigan that were given to me in somewhat aged form by the owner of Great Lakes Hops last spring. They've been chilling in my freezer for a year and I think they're well to the condition of being 'aged' so I'm going to toss the bag of them into this beer. They're some descendant most likely of a noble hop variety.

I'm taking a guess at the IBUs completely. But I'll be shocked if they manage to provide more than 10-12 IBUs.

Batch Size (16.5 Gallons)

18lbs - Pilsner Malt
1lb 8oz - Oats, Flaked
1lb 8oz - Belgian Aromatic Malt
1lb 8oz - Spelt Malt (if I find it)
3lbs - Wheat Malt
2oz - Aged Old Mission Hops - 60 minutes.​

I'm considering bumping it to 20gallons (which is my systems max) and kick out a 5 gallon Saison based on it to ferment out so I could taste the base recipe before say... 8-12 months from now.

Batch Size (16.5 Gallons)

18lbs - Pilsner Malt
3lbs - Oats, Flaked
1lb 8oz - Belgian Aromatic Malt
1lb 8oz - Spelt Malt (if I find it)
1lb 8oz - Wheat Malt
2oz - Aged Old Mission Hops - 60 minutes.​

Looks like you've got a different recipe going than the original percentages. On purpose?

1. You've swapped the oats and wheat malt percentages
2. Aromatic is not the same as special aromatic. Special aromatic is a base malt. From what I've read, I decided to sub Vienna for it, since I couldn't get the real thing.

Separate topic, but I brewed 3 gallons based on the golden recipe. I used 6-row as the based and made the following changes based on availability and what I had on hand:
1. Subbed Vienna for Special Aromatic
2. Subbed Golden Naked Oats for Flaked Oats
3. Subbed Flaked Spelt for Spelt Malt

Mashed high, 5 IBU, and pitched a mix of Conan, slurry from my brett saison, and my house sour culture, all about equal volumes. Will be getting peaches eventually if everything goes to plan.

^^What BGBC said above is the same info I've come up with. Special aromatic is a base (light SRM) malt of the pale-ish variety; Vienna was also my choice of substitution. Spelt malt can be made in a few days from spelt berries; or simply use unmalted spelt berries because there is plenty of conversion enzymes to handle the unmalted grain.

In addition, the collab BRUX beer is a belgian saccharomyces fermented beer that is bottled with brett brux. According to available information I can find, there is no bacteria in that beer. While the beer you brew might come out delicious with the unusual Brett characteristics, it will not be sour. Since it won't be sour (but you'll be brewing it as a sour - low IBU) then the resulting beer will likely be unbalanced because you'll be lacking that bitter/sour aspect that balances the malt sweetness. At least, this is my take on it.

Looks like you've got a different recipe going than the original percentages. On purpose?

1. You've swapped the oats and wheat malt percentages
2. Aromatic is not the same as special aromatic. Special aromatic is a base malt. From what I've read, I decided to sub Vienna for it, since I couldn't get the real thing.

Ya I made a mistake copying it from beer smith here. Woops!

Thankfully I bought the right stuff. :). I'll edit my previous post.

In addition, the collab BRUX beer is a belgian saccharomyces fermented beer that is bottled with brett brux. According to available information I can find, there is no bacteria in that beer. While the beer you brew might come out delicious with the unusual Brett characteristics, it will not be sour. Since it won't be sour (but you'll be brewing it as a sour - low IBU) then the resulting beer will likely be unbalanced because you'll be lacking that bitter/sour aspect that balances the malt sweetness. At least, this is my take on it.

Oh man I'm batting 1000 on this one huh. Hmm. Well better to find out now I suppose.

Hmm. I'll borrow some bugs from one of my other active batches that definitely have mixed cultures (mine are in barrels with taps near the bottom) to add to the mix or go pick something up. I have a bottle of Hanssens Artisanaal Oude Gueuze asking to be drank, I'll throw his dregs in for good measure. [emoji3]

I think they're keeping it close to zero as far as I can determine. Perhaps, it's as simple as no hops :D

I asked on twitter regarding the IBU of Shadows of Their Eyes and the response I got was "1IBU coming from a low alpha acid hop." I asked if it was the same for their other beers and got no response but I'm guessing that's the case since it's just two base beers all the time anyway.

I asked on twitter regarding the IBU of Shadows of Their Eyes and the response I got was "1IBU coming from a low alpha acid hop." I asked if it was the same for their other beers and got no response but I'm guessing that's the case since it's just two base beers all the time anyway.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Back