The pot machine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeFlynn74 said:
BlindLemon

How do you feel about them giving Stimulants like riddalin (aka Go pills) for their alert missions or long missions? Taking Riddalin when its not needed is like doing coke. I believe 2 A10 pilots blamed long work hours and those stimulants for thier accidental fire on Canadian forces in Afganistan.
Mike, I don't know enough about pilots or ritalin to even offer an opinion. And as Yuri says, I think it's starting to stray way off topic!

Keep in mind that there are two groups that profit the most from keeping pot illegal. The dealers and the cops. Now, if drugs are a health issue, as most people seem to agree, whey then do police teach students drug resistance classes at school? I wouldn't talk to a cop about my broken arm or high blood pressure, why would I take their word on drug effects?

Most arguements I've heard against pot legalization don't hold water. They cite the effects of prohibition as reason to keep it illegal! I cite the effects of prohibition as a reason to legalize and they look at me like I'm crazy. They say we can't legalize because there's no roadside test for impairment and I ask them if keeping it illegal negates the need for the test. We know for a fact that making the stuff illegal doesn't curb use in any way. In fact, the illegal nature of the plant makes it MORE difficult to develop an effective test because it's difficult for researchers to legally experiment with both the plant and its effect on humans.

Special Ed said:
The debate over legalizing pot always ends up with people worrying about pilots, drivers, surgeons, etc. smoking pot on the job or behind the wheel. I don't understand this argument because alcohol is legal but not legally comsumed under circumstances that could cause harm to others. Why would pot be any different?

I believe that a major part of this issue is that while there is a test to determine if someone is impaired from alcohol (breathalyzer), but there is no test that will show if someone is high on marijuana right at that moment. Urine and hair analysis can prove past usage, but that doesn't help the cop who pulls someone over and suspects they are under the influence, or the NTSB investigator trying to determine if a pilot was high while flying and not while he/she was on vacation in Jamaica three weeks before. Come up with a "ganja breathalyzer" and you're a lot closer to seeing legalization IMO.

scottthorn said:
I believe that a major part of this issue is that while there is a test to determine if someone is impaired from alcohol (breathalyzer), but there is no test that will show if someone is high on marijuana right at that moment. Urine and hair analysis can prove past usage, but that doesn't help the cop who pulls someone over and suspects they are under the influence, or the NTSB investigator trying to determine if a pilot was high while flying and not while he/she was on vacation in Jamaica three weeks before. Come up with a "ganja breathalyzer" and you're a lot closer to seeing legalization IMO.

At the risk of shattering all that you (By the way "you" does not equal scottthorn, "you" is collective.) have been told to believe, and making you mad at me...... um..... there's no need. If you're too messed up to drive because you've been tokin' the ganja, then you need idiot intervention, not a curbside "ganjalyzer". Sure it makes you relaxed and giggly, but please don't let the government's "facts" get in your way, taking a toke doesn't make you go drive like a cock and kill people.

In fact, every person I've ever seen drive while high? Yeah. That's right. They drove better than they do sober. They followed every speed limit and signalled every turn.

Just $0.02 for your change bucket, I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed like hell now. (By the way "you" does not equal scottthorn, "you" is collective.)

The theory is that those high on marijuana are more aware of their impairment and compensate by driving more carefully. That brings up an interesting point. People don't smoke dope and get into barfights. Pot makes people quiet and sedate.

scottthorn said:

But as I said earlier, Scotthorn, that doesn't make sense. It uses a supposition that by making marijuana illegal nobody is actually using it. We know that's not true so we need a road side ganjalizer ANYWAY, no matter the legal state of the substance because people will, and are, using it anyway. It's easier to experiment with it if it's legal!

*pssst* Glassblower!.... It's not real. It's all a hoax. Nobody's REALLY huffing that.... stuff.

CEMaine said:
I am a pothead an I vote.
But, I am willing to pay some taxes on my smoke if it stops the insanity that is the War on Drugs.

CEMaine, that wasn't meant to offend. I know many people who partake in cannibis who are fine upstanding citizens. It was more of a dig at polititions who make decisions based on what gets them re-elected vs. what is the right thing to do.

It is political suicide to say you are for legalizing pot. I vote libertarian whenever I can!

Back