the next middle age craze! judge my crush!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
crush.jpg

readyformash.jpg

on a scale of 1-10, what would you give this? lol, not that i'm worried, i pull 90% effec with it.....

Have you ever tried malt conditioning?

no, is that when you spritz the malt with a spray bottle of water? how would i go about spritzing 22lb's of grain?

Hmmm. Odd middle age crush......mine is Marisa Tomei :p,, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

LOL, and i was just watching clips of night court on youtube! of course that was, mel torme....

if we're talk women, i'd go with Mayim Balik....she's already vegan, and the only person my age....(no i'm not vegan, but i love beans! shouldn't be to hard to get her to eat them, and i'm pretty sure i could teach her how to stay thin....)

no, is that when you spritz the malt with a spray bottle of water? how would i go about spritzing 22lb's of grain?[...]

Fill one bucket with your weighed malt, pour a few pounds of that into a second bucket, spray that amount of grain while rotating and tilting the bucket to expose as much grain as possible, then stop spraying and stir the malt with your free hand to distribute the moisture. Repeat until all malt is slightly dampened, then go straight to milling. Do not let the malt sit there for more than a few minutes, and do not condition flaked grains or wheat malt, in both cases to avoid the mill knurling getting packed with paste.

On my imperial stout I need 42 pounds of malt which fits in two buckets, then I use a third to condition one half of the malt and get that going in the mill, then I do the second bucket...

Cheers!

I do similar to what day tripper performs. I've even used an old plastic fermenter with a plastic lid drilled for airlock bung. I fill fermenter will grain, put then lid on then turn upside down. The grain flows at a good rate to continuously spray as it's falling down to the collection bucket. In other words it's a gravity discharge hopper and I stand there and spray it

Last edited:
no, is that when you spritz the malt with a spray bottle of water? how would i go about spritzing 22lb's of grain?

What I do is spray a little, stir the grain spray a little more until all the grain is damp then wait about 10 mins and run it through the mill as usual. It works for me.

You'll see a lot less flour and more intact husks. I was thinking I needed some rice hulls before, but once I started to condition I haven't had any issues. :mug:

While I appreciate the enhanced lautering from the fluffy mostly intact hulls, and enjoy the increased efficiency running the mill tighter, the biggest thing really for me is it virtually eliminates dust. Before I started conditioning there'd be a mushroom cloud of grain dust billowing out of my mlt when I dumped the grain in, and the entire grain mill cabinet interior - floor, walls, ceiling - would be caked with grain dust that had to be cleaned up.

Since I started conditioning the milling and mashing actually got easier because the cleanup is so easy...

Cheers!

well, my sparge runs fine with this. but if i can pretty it up i'm thinking my experience with deculming could come in handy....

why not use a cool mist humidifier? like when i use a box fan to blow rootlets off, just put the humidifier on a chair or something and pass the grain back and forth bucket to bucket in front of it.......

Definitely take a video if you come up with something :)
I've often thought if I could find a suitably sized plastic drum I'd attach some vanes inside ala a cement mixer, find a way to motorize it, and set the works in a frame that would allow tilting the drum to empty it...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back