The new brew is alive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugunderfoot

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I brewed my first batch yesterday and everything went really well. This morning however I found that all the water in the airlock had been pushed out and foam is currently pouring out of it. I removed the airlock a few times to wash and refilled it only to have the samething immediately happen. On the bright side, it does smell like beer. Is the excessive foaming normal and should i try to keep the airlock filled as much as possible? Thankyou in advance for any advice that you have.:confused:

Hi everyone. I brewed my first batch yesterday and everything went really well. This morning however I found that all the water in the airlock had been pushed out and foam is currently pouring out of it. I removed the airlock a few times to wash and refilled it only to have the samething immediately happen. On the bright side, it does smell like beer. Is the excessive foaming normal and should i try to keep the airlock filled as much as possible? Thankyou in advance for any advice that you have.:confused:

How big is the fermenter?

Do you know what a blow off tube is?

Sometime when you have a beer that is pushing foam out the top you take a piece of hose and put one end in the fermenter and the other into a container of water, that way the carboy can blow off as much as it wants

beer5691600x1200.jpg

looks like this

sanitize everything of course

Yeah sounds like you have healthy and vigorous fermentation...nothing to worry about...You can always rig an airlock blowoff tube...one thing I found that helps is to cut or break the little criss-cross that is sometimes at the bottom of the airlcok...that often gets clogged very easy with hop particles or other matter....but just grab a hose...this was from my old blttling wand with a small slit in it....

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

Back