The most overrated band and/or singer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't heard of them...I need to get out more. An alt-rock band influenced by The Clash and Springsteen? I do like it, will look for some of their albums. Thanks for posting that.

Right on. I've been trying to spread word of these guys (The Gaslight Anthem) for years.

I believe music has to move the mind and heart, as well as the body; otherwise its just noise. I don't know if I just happened to live a similar life to frontman Brian Fallon, or if it's from growing up in the same area, or if their songs are just that great, but I feel a connection with almost every song this band has.

They really are an amazing group.

Gaslight is cool, they're from New Brunswick so yay Jersey.

I find it weird though when I hear people talk about them cause I heard thme way before they got big because of them being local. Haven't had that personally happen and it's not like NJ is a huge music scene.

I don't know if Pearl Jam did it first, but they're the earliest I've heard do the guitar for synth version of Baba O'Riley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K54zBEgVpjs

Yeah. Pearl Jam did it first. Gaslight just did it for an iTunes session about a year or two ago. I think Pearl Jam hit the music better, but I think Fallon destroyed Veder in the vocals department.

Maybe this is cliche to say, but I think Pearl Jam is a band that is meant to be heard live, and that is the basis of their continued popularity. Yeah, other than Ten and maybe Vs, most of their albums have been hit or miss. If you see them live, you can catch most of the good songs, some solid covers, and only a few of the crap songs.

Ten, Vs. And Vitology IMO are all albums very much worth owning. Of course I'm slightly PJ biased but they're all great some turd songs (weird filler songs on Vitology) I have every Pearl Jam album but their latest and Binaural. I hate Binaural and the latest I'll check out on Spotify before plunking down 10 bucks on. Of their albums the only one I wouldn't buy again is Backspacer, has some decent singles, but it's not my thing. But my indie loving friends dig it so that could explain why ha.

Also everyone who loves good music should fork out the 2 dollars to get Merkin Ball on Google Play. It's only 2 songs but holy **** there may not be a better EP than Merkin Ball. I guess it's really more of a single interms of content but whatever.

Yeah. Pearl Jam did it first. Gaslight just did it for an iTunes session about a year or two ago. I think Pearl Jam hit the music better, but I think Fallon destroyed Veder in the vocals department.

As much as I love Eddie, it's not hard to destroy him vocally. He is more Bruce Springsteen of an emotional singer than a pure vocalist.

This is a rediculous thread.

Over rated? How can a person or group of people who earn a living playing music be over or under rated?

They're earning a living playing music. If you've ever earned money playing music you'd know where I'm coming from.

Goodness.

chawagi said:
Kinda off topic, but there's been quite a few posts regarding the lack of music in the past 10 years or so. I do agree 99.9%, but I gotta throw one name out before we get back to bashing those who suck...The Gaslight Anthem. These guys are amazing and work for every occasion whether it's brewing, chilling, or in the gym. Definitely my #1 band for the past few years. Check out this awesome cover of Baba O'Riley (The Who). You can even catch where the guitarist F's up at about 2:40 so you know there's no funky dubbed crap going on. Lot's of emotion and meaning in their music. It's simple, but powerful stuff. Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lzJ-BUNzLM

Agreed I love gaslight and i have been listening to Mumford and son a lot lately too. I think that modern bands don't have the same overrated hype that older bands have. There is a lot of great **** out there right now.

Agreed I love gaslight and i have been listening to Mumford and son a lot lately too. I think that modern bands don't have the same overrated hype that older bands have. There is a lot of great **** out there right now.

Maybe I'm just a cynical *******, but I'm pretty sure people said the same thing 20 years ago about Pearl Jam or a number of other bands.

I think people have been having the same conversations for years. Music sucks today/was overrated yesteryear, kids today are the worst/parents today are the worst, so on so forth.

I think comparing generations just leaves you in a continuing cycle.

I'm not really exposed to any new music.. the radio stations SUCK up here... to the point that I said "screw it" and have invested in SiriusXM. I never stray far from the 80's stations.

Bulls Beers said:
Mumford, Kings of Leon, the Black Keys, Coheed, ect... But I may not be as judge mental about music cause I listen to anything that sounds good to me. From big band to heavy metal to the blues I like anything. Check out the radio station we have around here, it 103.1 WRNR. They stream online and play anything, great place to hear new music.

I'm gonna disagree with that too (except for the last sentence). I hear tons of hype for Mumford & Sons and similar bands. They just have the benefit of still being new and fresh vs. some of the other bands on here that have been around for decades. Some were legitimately good and worth the hype once, but have been played to death for years to the point that nobody can stand to hear them anymore.

I liked AC/DC at one point in time, but you can only hear "Back in Black" played 4 times a day on the radio for so long before you want to stab your radio with a screwdriver.

drainbamage said:
I'm gonna disagree with that too (except for the last sentence). I hear tons of hype for Mumford & Sons and similar bands. They just have the benefit of still being new and fresh vs. some of the other bands on here that have been around for decades. Some were legitimately good and worth the hype once, but have been played to death for years to the point that nobody can stand to hear them anymore. I liked AC/DC at one point in time, but you can only hear "Back in Black" played 4 times a day on the radio for so long before you want to stab your radio with a screwdriver.

Totally agree. The stations here play the same 100 or so song over and over again. That's why I now hate bob segiers turn the page.

That's what I was kinda getting at last night ( I was into the home brew sorry) newer bands haven't been around long enough or talked up enough IMO to be overrated. Sure there are the isolated hipsters that freak out about how great a band is then you hear them and the don't reach my expectations then I think they were overrated.

I'm gonna disagree with that too (except for the last sentence). I hear tons of hype for Mumford & Sons and similar bands. They just have the benefit of still being new and fresh vs. some of the other bands on here that have been around for decades. Some were legitimately good and worth the hype once, but have been played to death for years to the point that nobody can stand to hear them anymore.

I liked AC/DC at one point in time, but you can only hear "Back in Black" played 4 times a day on the radio for so long before you want to stab your radio with a screwdriver.

Cough, Kings of Leon.

And that's why I don't listen to radio.

Semi-related stupid thing is that my idiot boss idolizes my coworker, and the coworker likes country. So my idiot boss has the presumption that the music people want to hear country or "variety" stations. While the latter is likely true, I can't get it to sink into either of their hands that popular country is pretty much the most panned genre of music. The station actually plays the same songs over and over again to rub salt in the wound. So if I'm working an 8 hour day I may hear the same stupid song 2-3 times. It's at the point now I purposely change the station because I refuse to hear that **** again. I'd rather listen to the variety station because every once in a while you hear a good song (though an overplayed song of course)

Best time is when the Boss is not there, it's right to the classic rock station, while hell yeah it's overplayed music, it's at least enjoyable and sometimes they sneak deeper into albums and play some lesser known Zeppelin or Floyd and the day gets better.

of course the kicker is where I work is really white suburban and the majority of our customers are 30+ so what do you think they'd rather listen to? Classic Rock? Or country? Or variety that leans heavier on current hits?

Also if I have to hear one more FUN song I'm gonna punch someone.

I think it's not so much that a particular band is overrated, it's those few, select songs pushed into the forefront by the media that make them seem overrated. I too am sick of hearing Back in Black, yet AC/DC has so many other great songs that go unnoticed by mainstream media. Turn the Page has been beaten to death by AOR stations, but Seger has some great music that's not rotated on radio playlists. "Deep tracks," if you will. I like Pink Floyd, but I'm tired of hearing Comfortably Numb and Money.

Pick just about any artist and I'll find songs I like and songs I'm sick of. There are very few artists I completely cannot listen to. And in an era where we no longer have to buy the whole album, I have the opportunity to dial in my musical choices, song by song.

There are many instances where it seems some of these posts confuse overrated with overplayed, which could at times be applicable to the same band. Nickelback for instance is totally overplayed. But I don't hear anyone claim them as one of the greatest bands. U2 seems to get too much respect and radio play however for using too much reverb and delay and wearing sunglasses in doors.

I think it's not so much that a particular band is overrated, it's those few, select songs pushed into the forefront by the media that make them seem overrated. I too am sick of hearing Back in Black, yet AC/DC has so many other great songs that go unnoticed by mainstream media. Turn the Page has been beaten to death by AOR stations, but Seger has some great music that's not rotated on radio playlists. "Deep tracks," if you will. I like Pink Floyd, but I'm tired of hearing Comfortably Numb and Money.

Yeah, it isn't that I've grown to actively dislike AC/DC after overhearing certain songs. I just don't really get in a mood anymore where I think, "you know what? I really feel like hearing some AC/DC right now." I just moved on to other stuff.

Probably serves me right for being too big of a cheapskate to get satellite radio. :)

Also if I have to hear one more FUN song I'm gonna punch someone.

I knew there was someone I left off my list. Fun is terrible.

This thread is all about opinion and you know what they say... Opinions are like a&$#*\#s, everybody has one.

heard him yesterday and gotta include him on here

Elvis Costello

can't stand him and don't see the appeal

This thread is all about opinion and you know what they say... Opinions are like a&$#*\#s, everybody has one.

wow. that's so deep. you should put that on bumper sticker

BigDaddyBeard said:

I thought the expression was excuses are like a-holes, everyone has one and they all stink...

I thought it was "polititians are a-holes" or something like that.......

I think it all works and how is Elvis Costelo over rated? You really don't hear too much about him. I think the last time that he was publicly mentioned, not on the radio, was Austin Powers.

he is overrated in that he shouldn't have been rated at all

and who said that the band/singer had to be "current"? did someone put a time limit on this?

OP mentioned Bob Dylan. when was the last time Bob was relevant? others have mentioned The Beatles, they're ½ dead. Jim Morrison? probably gone before you were born.

While I don't consider him or most others in his genre singers, lil Wayne. The things this kid has tried to pass off as music make my head hurt something fierce.

I want to join the hatefest.

This is mainly cause I'm tired of hearing how genius they are are The Velvet Underground are. They deserve credit as founders. But if I have to hear my hipster friends play Vu one more time I may snap.

The more I read this and the more I think about it, the top over-rated band has got to be U2. I personally have had it up to here (my had is way above my head) with that Bono. I have found what I'm looking for, and it has nothng to do with Bono.

dylan's a GREAT songwriter, horrible singer

overrated band + singer = Nirvana & Kurt Cobain

listen to the Foo Fighters and then tell me who the true musical genius was in Nirvana

Agree 100%, first thing I thought of when I saw this was...Nirvana is at the top of my list, imo Foo Fighters is far superior.

Id also throw in Incubus, and some support for The Beatles.

The more I read this and the more I think about it, the top over-rated band has got to be U2. I personally have had it up to here (my had is way above my head) with that Bono. I have found what I'm looking for, and it has nothng to do with Bono.

I don't know. I think I have to disagree somewhat with this one. Bono is a ******. I'll wholeheartedly agree with that one, but I don't hold that against the music. Except for Zooropa, I think U2 has made some amazing music, even with a frontman that thinks he is the second coming of Christ. That fact may make their musical achievements even more special due to the fact that the rest of the band was able to surmount his trillion dollar ego.

It's the same phenomenon as The Doors. Morrison was a drunken buffoon masquerading as a poet, but that should't take away from the fact that Robbie Krieger and Ray Manzerek were outstanding musicians.

Now someone may chime in here and say that this argument contradicts the argument I made against Nirvana a few days earlier; the difference between the two is I think Nirvana's music just plain sucked. That band had absolutely zero redeeming qualities in addition to a frontman who was a ******. It was the double whammy for Nirvana.

If whether or not an artist is a ****** is the criteria for music selection, I'd have to throw out half my CD collection. Many rock and pop stars are a-holes. Many aren't. All I care is if they make good music.

I <3 Dave Grohl..

IMG_91426780794705.jpg

I'll keep this simple and sweeping.

Overrated:
The entire Southern Rock genre
The entire Country genre (obviously)
Everything from Australia
Grunge? I don't see the difference between that and general rock. How is it even a genre?
80's Heavy Metal. Metal was great in the 70's before it committed suicide.
Katie Perry's boobs.
Rap (obviously)

Underrated:
Jazz/rock fusion
70's British progressive. (It's what I grew up on, so I can't help that one)
George Thorogood
Jethro Tull
King Crimson
Lou Reed (RIP)
Katie Perry's boobs

Now, I should like Rush, but I just can't get past the annoying vocals. Ever since I heard them say that early Genesis were an influence of theirs, that is all I hear on their music.....a more guitar based version of Genesis. It is unfair of me, I know. They are talented and original, I just have too many issues with them that get in the way of the music for me.

I'll keep this simple and sweeping.

Underrated:
Jazz/rock fusion
70's British progressive. (It's what I grew up on, so I can't help that one)
George Thorogood
Jethro Tull
King Crimson
Lou Reed (RIP)
Katie Perry's boobs

This. Especially love European prog, as I grew up on it too. Floyd, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, EL&P, Yes, Peter Gabriel era Genesis, Focus, Tull. Lately have been listening to a lot of Canterbury scene--Caravan, Soft Machine, Gong, Hatfield And The North--all bands I had never heard of back in the early '70s, but have discovered in recent years. Good stuff.

Back