The Most Foreallest Imperialist Without a Doubt Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick&Worty

Reaction score
My sisters and brothers help me out
Cause yknow my next brew is gonna be a stout.
Now I'm about to set the stage, let you know what I'm talkin about
Have a seat my homebrewtalk homie while I give you a shout

Rollin full-grain 5 gallon crackin jokes like Jimmy Fallon
Searchin for that stout recipe can be a real challenge
See I've had some nectar of the gods stuff turned up
Like cinnamon toast crunch dipped in maple syrup yup

Had that Side Project Derivation
Had a whole dang keg of Prairie Bomb! in my keg station
Had that Dragon's Milk, and then a little practice
Had multiple editions of Abraxas

See I like em thick and dark, ABV out the park
Seein winter comin like my name was Stark
Lookin for vanilla or cocoa beans
Maybe maple or even some chili it seems
Gonna drop adjuncts like it's obscene
Then age it slow till it's the stuff of dreams

Now I'm lookin for that recipe
Crackin homebrewtalk open like sesame
I see that Dragon's Silk kit at NB
I seen that Beanie Bomb and a few other things
So now I'm reachin out to you my homebrewtalk crew
Do you got that bomb stout recipe, dude?
If you do drop it here so your homeboy can brew!

/peace

So you want a high adjunct stout that’s dark and thick like PB or DM but you want it to fall within American stout parameters?
If you don’t find it, you might try to get a record contract after dropping rhymes like those.

So you want a high adjunct stout that’s dark and thick like PB or DM but you want it to fall within American stout parameters?
If you don’t find it, you might try to get a record contract after dropping rhymes like those.

Gotta have a little fun when you can. :) It was either rap lyrics or interpretive dance. Trust me, you got the better deal. 🤣

Hahaha. So are you really looking for recipe help or were you just looking for an avenue to drop some homebrew lyrics? Stouts can be incredibly nuanced, which makes them fun and challenging to dial in.

I am definitely looking for a stout recipe. Don’t mind complexity. Even thinking about looking for a barrel!

Thanks again so much for these recipes to look into. After much reading I have answered nearly all of my questions, learned some surprising new things, and believe I have my recipe worked out.

Some key takeaways:
There is a very "standard" stout grain profile. Much of the magic must be in malt percentage nuance, aging, and adjuncts
Interesting find - some of the best stouts have <50% base malt. I wonder if that's "the difference" between a good stout and an OMG stout

Rough draft (tinkering with exact weights)

Grain bill will be made up of:
Maris Otter <50%
Munich II
Flaked Barley
Flaked oats
Chocolate malt
Roasted Barley
Carafoam
Coffee malt
Black Patent
Dark Crystal 150L
Crystal Malt 60L
2oz Cocoa Powder end of boil
Escuminac Late Harvest Maple Syrup end of boil

3 oz Magnum @ 75 minutes
Wyeast 1968 - 5 liter starter

Secondary adjuncts under consideration (some of these are my own crazy ideas):
Ghost pepper bourbon tincture
Roasted cocoa nibs
Madagascar vanilla beans
Oak cubes (eventually barrel)
Ginger
Nutmeg
Cinnamon stick
Vanilla custard tobacco
Flavored coffee beans from local shop
Black truffle oil (just a tiny bit)

Some of these grain bills come in at almost 30LBs for a 5 gallon batch... how am I going to fit that in my 10 gal BIAB setup?? 🤣

It may finally be time for an equipment upgrade, though I guess I could just make 2x2.5 gal batches... When I finally get this thing all tuned-in I'll post the end result recipe!

Last edited:
My brew pot is seven gallons. I've done two separate mashes before. You need a second big pot though. I used a 20 quart stock pot for the second mash pot. First mash is with the bag in the brewing pot. Second mash is in another big pot with no bag. When mashing is done lift and squeeze the bag from the brew pot, dump out the grain, put the bag back in the pot and pour the contents of the second pot into the brew pot and lift and squeeze the bag again.

With all that grain that still has sugar in it it might then be parti-gyle time. I'v made some pretty god second beers from my second runnings. You got that second big pot and all that grain sittin' there - just sayin'. But that's a whole separate discussion.

When I punch all my planned numbers into Brewer's Friend, I get a FG of 1.037. That's too high, even for a big, loud stout, right? Might need different yeast.

Last edited:
Yep! Changing out the yeast to Wyeast London 1028 got me to FG 1.03 and 11.74% on BF

Holy grain bill! 11 different grains is a lot. The glory of brewing is making what you want, so take this with a grain of salt. I think all those flavors are going to get muddled. If you’re set on that, however, give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

Holy grain bill! 11 different grains is a lot. The glory of brewing is making what you want, so take this with a grain of salt. I think all those flavors are going to get muddled. If you’re set on that, however, give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

You may very well be right. We’ll find out soon! 😁 Some of the grains are more there for mouthfeel, and the major themes should be caramel, vanilla, and coffee. I am also throwing all kinds of crazy stuff into secondary for a week, and then after that it’ll sit for at least another month or two so everything can marry. Will be a fun experiment either way!

Last edited:
Last of the ingredients should arrive tomorrow! Gonna start the starters tonight and brew this weekend! :)

After an unconventional (and let's be frank, overwrought ;)) start, this could actually be interesting!

Be sure to post your actual recipe...

Cheers!
Yessir! Actual recipe is a BF link a few posts above. Following it exactly for this first run; and we’ll see where it ends up!

My sisters and brothers help me out
Cause yknow my next brew is gonna be a stout.
Now I'm about to set the stage, let you know what I'm talkin about
Have a seat my homebrewtalk homie while I give you a shout

Rollin full-grain 5 gallon crackin jokes like Jimmy Fallon
Searchin for that stout recipe can be a real challenge
See I've had some nectar of the gods stuff turned up
Like cinnamon toast crunch dipped in maple syrup yup

Had that Side Project Derivation
Had a whole dang keg of Prairie Bomb! in my keg station
Had that Dragon's Milk, and then a little practice
Had multiple editions of Abraxas

See I like em thick and dark, ABV out the park
Seein winter comin like my name was Stark
Lookin for vanilla or cocoa beans
Maybe maple or even some chili it seems
Gonna drop adjuncts like it's obscene
Then age it slow till it's the stuff of dreams

Now I'm lookin for that recipe
Crackin homebrewtalk open like sesame
I see that Dragon's Silk kit at NB
I seen that Beanie Bomb and a few other things
So now I'm reachin out to you my homebrewtalk crew
Do you got that bomb stout recipe, dude?
If you do drop it here so your homeboy can brew!

/peace

This is actually quite impressive if you read it out loud

Cheers man, you have clever words

DF9CCAD0-46C7-4FCF-996B-7CB101FBE169.jpeg

LOL...

Had to upgrade to a 5L flask for this project! The 2000 would not have cut it!
2024547A-2A98-4C42-AD6B-89DE2E9DFBD9.jpeg

Escuminac Late Harvest Maple Syrup end of boil
It you are looking for maple flavor do a search here for that. There are a few threads. I don’t think you will get it from maple syrup in the boil. I tried to emulate CBS last spring and put maple syrup into the wort/beer after initial fermentation was pretty well done hoping it would leave some flavor behind. I just bottled it about a month ago. If there is maple flavor there it is very subtle mixed in with the coffee and chocolate.

Your wall art is disturbing. Your flask and starter, not so much :) And I enjoyed the rap...
Thanks! 👍 I had a chance to chat with the artist when I bought that print. She said she thought Sloth from the Goonies deserved a happier ending, and that was the inspiration for it. 😁

It you are looking for maple flavor do a search here for that. There are a few threads. I don’t think you will get it from maple syrup in the boil. I tried to emulate CBS last spring and put maple syrup into the wort/beer after initial fermentation was pretty well done hoping it would leave some flavor behind. I just bottled it about a month ago. If there is maple flavor there it is very subtle mixed in with the coffee and chocolate.
Thanks! I'll check into that. I am hoping to get some subtle maple syrup flavor in there. Will research.

Now you have me rethinking the end of boil maple syrup thing. If anything it sounds like it should be added as late as possible, maybe in that final vessel. I'm going to have to do some more research on fenugreek and maple extract as well.

I think I'm gonna change it to grade B, and add it during secondary along with maple extract. From what I'm reading, any earlier and yeast will eat it and there will be little flavor imparted. Thank you for the tip!

Last edited:
Yeast are gonna smoke any maple syrup no matter when it's added - unless you've killed the yeast ;)

If you do any research on brewing with maple syrup you'll note there's a lot of disappointment involved, because yeast murder maple syrup and leave virtually no surviving characters...

Cheers!

Yeast are gonna smoke any maple syrup no matter when it's added - unless you've killed the yeast ;)

If you do any research on brewing with maple syrup you'll note there's a lot of disappointment involved, because yeast murder maple syrup and leave virtually no surviving characters...

Cheers!
I’ve been reading about this. An interesting problem for sure. I have seen people say they used different grades at different times without success. Have seen fenugreek, maple extract, even someone apparently using maple and brown sugar oatmeal. Have also seen the process of stunting the yeast when adding. Right now I’m favoring extract, but in the same vein I’m also gonna order some of this low carb maple syrup and see if it’s as good as people say.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PRYRQW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_KkrUFb1D1FRVH

I’ve got a couple weeks before secondary time, so still time to make those changes.

The ChocZero sugar-free Maple Syrup arrived today. I am very impressed. It is REALLY good. Totally gonna use it. As far as I know, dextrin is unfermentable, so this might work. The syrup is quite thick, so I'm thinking about adding it at end of boil, so it can be well-incorporated instead of at secondary. Still leaving a small bit of extract for secondary.

Halfway through boil and it smells to me like there’s a chocolate cake batter in the oven.

OG on batch 1 came in a little lower than BF calculated. I think boil off was wrong. Whatever. Pressing on.
61B6712E-0919-4A5C-83BD-3F58B05C940C.jpeg

Whew! Two brews in one day can tire ya out! 2nd batch also came in at 1.08. By the time I was finished with the 2nd batch, the first was already bubblin! Yeasties aren’t wasting any time!
66C22AD6-4032-4F4B-B9C6-217D7D8930E8.jpeg

Post-mortem.. because my efficiency was horrible (like 44%) I expect I'll be looking at 1.08->1.019 for about 8% instead of the 11% that 1.11->1.026 would get me at even a modest 60%. I didn't expect that, cause I usually hit my target gravity on standard ale recipes. I'll need to play with process and grind to get that a little better. Gap was at .03, so that'll be the first thing to change next time!

Last edited:
Post-mortem.. because my efficiency was horrible (like 44%) I expect I'll be looking at 1.08->1.019 for about 8% instead of the 11% that 1.11->1.026 would get me at even a modest 60%. I didn't expect that, cause I usually hit my target gravity on standard ale recipes. I'll need to play with process and grind to get that a little better. Gap was at .03, so that'll be the first thing to change next time!

I doubt your grind was the problem. As you grain bill goes up your efficiency goes down, that's just a fact of brewing and there's no real way of getting around it.

Some tips for large grain bills:

Crush as fine as your system will allow
Stir the mash every 10-15 minutes
2 hour mash
Mash thin 2qt/lb+
Sparge slowly, it should take an hour at least
Boil for 120 mins (which means you can collect more wort preboil)

If all else fails have a few pounds of DME on standby

I doubt your grind was the problem. As you grain bill goes up your efficiency goes down, that's just a fact of brewing and there's no real way of getting around it.

Some tips for large grain bills:

Crush as fine as your system will allow
Stir the mash every 10-15 minutes
2 hour mash
Mash thin 2qt/lb+
Sparge slowly, it should take an hour at least
Boil for 120 mins (which means you can collect more wort preboil)

If all else fails have a few pounds of DME on standby
Thanks MK! I can definitely go finer in crush, and I was only 1.5 hours on mash and boil. Will make those changes!

Back