The last two

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Reaction score
kits that i bought or received as a gift do not provide a FG...........is this something i am supposed to calculate or do they assume that i should know what the FG will be for an Altbeer and and IPA (by the way i can use some resource books to determine the approx FG but I the first kit i brewed told me what the target would be)

Just wonder if i am missing something

they may not give a FG because with extracts it is kinda a guessing game on how much fermentable sugar is in the extract. Like pulse said, give the OG and yeast, we can take the average attenuation of the yeast and that should be close.

You can calculate a final gravity range if you know the apparent attenuation for the yeast. Since many kits have optional yeasts, the final gravity will vary.

If you don't, divide the last two decimal places by 4. That assumes an attenuation of 75%, which is ball park for many yeasts. An OG of 1.060 would mean a FG of 1.015

the OG is supposed to be between 1.061 and 1.065
the yeast is a Danstar yeast called Nottingham (like i said this is a kit)

now this leads to a new question ..........I am brewing an ipa, is there another yeast that everyone would recommend.....i know the yeast can have a big impact in the overall taste and and flavor and i do not want to mess up the brew trying to change yeast unless everyone recommends making a change.......any thoughts

the OG is supposed to be between 1.061 and 1.065
the yeast is a Danstar yeast called Nottingham (like i said this is a kit)

now this leads to a new question ..........I am brewing an ipa, is there another yeast that everyone would recommend.....i know the yeast can have a big impact in the overall taste and and flavor and i do not want to mess up the brew trying to change yeast unless everyone recommends making a change.......any thoughts

If you already have the Nottingham, that will work just fine. If not, I like a more English style yeast in IPAs - the same company, Danstar, produces a yeast strain called Windsor that would be good. Or if you'd like to try making a yeast starter, you could try a liquid yeast strain like White Labs British Ale yeast (WLP005).

Cheers! :mug:

nottingham is a generic ale yeast -- it should be fine for most ales unless you are trying to clone something and need a certain flavor profile. if you like dry yeast, US-05 is the go-to yeast for IPA. if you want liquid yeast, it's wyeast 1056 or white labs WLP001.

also, FG depends on so many things -- just remember, even if you have a predicted FG, it's not done until it's done. and it's done when the FG stops dropping (taking a sample every 3 days or so). even then, it's probably best to give the yeast at least week or so to clean up after themselves

EDIT: the yeasts i mentioned are for "american" style ales. if you want a more english style beer, go with the ones Pappers mentioned

Back