The Irish Moss Effect | xBmt Results!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always wondered this too. I generally use it in all of my lighter colored beers but haven't noticed a substantial difference in clarity when I've forgotten. Then again, I've never done 2 batches of the same recipe, one with and one without, so I can't really be sure.

Interesting experiment, especially the head retention, thanks for doing it. I also get noticeably better head retention in my tests when I do a protein rest at 131, even with well modified malt. I forget the rationale for why this might be the case, but in my unscientific tests there was a clear difference (i.e. not double blind, just the same recipe brewed twice) I think there is supposed to be some relation to long chain proteins and poor head retention.

I do have concerns though about how cloudy these beers are without fining, at least in the pictures. I dont fine with gelatin and usually (i.e. not a wit or heavily dry hopped) after 2 weeks in the keg at 34 degrees the beers are clear enough to read writing through, which they dont appear to be in the pictures. I wonder why that is the case, and whether some other part of your process is effecting results.

Latest posts

Back