The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how about them gooners
tenor.gif
:p

http://m.goal.com/s/en/news/1862/pr...-expectation-the-difference-between-liverpool

While I'd say since last season (barring bottling the end of it) Spurs have been indeed getting more positive press, this is remarkably on point.

Particularly with the reality of Spurs players (and Poch) always being talked about in the context of their value to whatever bigger club rumored to buy them.

However, historically it's not like that's an unfounded perspective. You know, because Daniel Levy.

Also TOttenham doesn't make as much money as those clubs. Arsenal is the same way. Only players I can think of Arsenal signing who could play on big teams are Ozil and Sanchez.

That being said, Tottenham has done a great job bringing in kids, and the fans should be proud. But they're not gonna have the ability to keep players from MAdrid, Barcelona, Munich, Paris, Manchester, or London. Those clubs have a ton of money. Call it the Dortmund syndrome. Dortmund is a big club in many regards, but they can't compete with Bayern. ANy of their players who Bayern or another big club wants, they get.

Also TOttenham doesn't make as much money as those clubs. Arsenal is the same way. Only players I can think of Arsenal signing who could play on big teams are Ozil and Sanchez.

That being said, Tottenham has done a great job bringing in kids, and the fans should be proud. But they're not gonna have the ability to keep players from MAdrid, Barcelona, Munich, Paris, Manchester, or London. Those clubs have a ton of money. Call it the Dortmund syndrome. Dortmund is a big club in many regards, but they can't compete with Bayern. ANy of their players who Bayern or another big club wants, they get.

Arsenal is swimming in funds compared to Spurs. Significantly underfunded compared to all our top six rivals.

Arsenal's problem is that they can offer money, but no so much on the glory. Madrid, Barca, Bayern, *choke* Chelsea, offer money AND glory. At least with Liverpool and Man U there's the history even if the clubs today aren't as successful as in the past.

But Spurs are showing hope for the future. And at least the current squad seem happy to believe in it.

But ultimately you're right, don't have the funds to attract the big stars (nor the willingness to pay for it, thanks Levy), and the trophies have to start coming in to get the glory part down.

So while I'd say you're right, that may be changing. Especially with the new stadium in the works.

Arsenal is swimming in funds compared to Spurs. Significantly underfunded compared to all our top six rivals.

Arsenal's problem is that they can offer money, but no so much on the glory. Madrid, Barca, Bayern, *choke* Chelsea, offer money AND glory. At least with Liverpool and Man U there's the history even if the clubs today aren't as successful as in the past.

But Spurs are showing hope for the future. And at least the current squad seem happy to believe in it.

But ultimately you're right, don't have the funds to attract the big stars (nor the willingness to pay for it, thanks Levy), and the trophies have to start coming in to get the glory part down.

So while I'd say you're right, that may be changing. Especially with the new stadium in the works.

Hopefully they do well, competition is good. Don't just want Chelsea and City dominating while Man U figures out life post Fergie.

At least with Liverpool and Man U there's the history even if the clubs today aren't as successful as in the past.
I'm not sure how you're defining history here?! They are as successful as those teams in the past and in terms of history, have spent the longest uninterrupted in the top flight. It'll be 100 years in 2019.

I'm not sure how you're defining history here?! They are as successful as those teams in the past and in terms of history, have spent the longest uninterrupted in the top flight. It'll be 100 years in 2019.

Simply put, trophy count. It's not even close. Arsenal has won their share, but nowhere near Liverpool and Man U.

I'm actually not meaning that as a dig at Arsenal. Just that supporters of either cling to it to validate themselves. And that apart from the paycheck (and even then other clubs can match that), that's the draw for players.

"You know if Vincent Janssen scores you're having a good day"

He seems to be building confidence. Not for lack of trying. Hopefully he's another Lamela (who will hopefully be back next season, glad they finally updated about hip surgery and quelled the gossip there).

Sissoko is ****. Without the trying.

Wow. Manchester United pulled it off.

Hope. If we win out, and Chelsea drop points twice (SHampton albeit at Stamford Bridge, West Brom or Everton away, could see a draw from any or all), and we can claim the title on goal differential.

Granted we still have Arsenal and Man U, although both at WHL, but both fighting for a top 4 finish.

Certainly harder for us. But well within the realm of possibility.

Oh, and MLS All-stars against Real Madrid.

So how about Monaco, wow. I had figured we'd beat them in the group, and now look where we both are.

That Real Madrid/Bayern second leg was entertaining, albeit the officials handed it to Madrid with an undeserved second yellow and an offsides extra time goal (although Bayern collapsing afterwards was on them, but hard to fault when behind, tired, and down a man).

Dude, you are just spurs. I know it's the best you been for a long long time, but nobody is really seeing you. Being second in the league and being above the Gooners don't cut it in an American forum.

Hey, it ain't like I'm pissed at your lot stealing our manager!! ;)

Dude, you are just spurs. I know it's the best you been for a long long time, but nobody is really seeing you. Being second in the league and being above the Gooners don't cut it in an American forum.

Hey, it ain't like I'm pissed at your lot stealing our manager!! ;)

We're gonna win the double!

And I recall commentary that Monaco has had a hard CL road, part of which was us. And last year, BVB were concerned about facing us. "Lad's, it's Tottenham" doesn't seem to apply any more.

Of course then we embarrassed ourselves against Gent.

But we're gonna win the double!

In all seriousness, if we beat Chelsea this weekend, I'm less worried about the other two in the FA Cup Final, plus the mental damage to Chelsea holding first in the league. Or vice versa. In other words, I expect whoever wins tomorrow wins the league.

View attachment 1492782438817.jpg

Ibra out until January. He's gonna be coming to MLS me thinks.

Maybe not. Rumor was he was heading to MLS this summer to the LA Galaxy, but the Galaxy look like they need some help right the hell now, so they'll likely pick up someone else in the summer window, leaving them without a spare designated player spot. It's possible Zlatan joins expansion side LAFC in January/February if he still wants to come to MLS, the only other potential option that I can think of right now is NYCFC, but they might not be so keen on a 36 year old given their....issues with Pirlo.

I was just thinking this through a bit - I believe I can root for the gooners for 90 minutes in their next match vs spurs - if the gooners win, then that helps CFC title charge & gives the club another reason to keep Wenger as well - win win situation there
09-roll-safe.w710.h473.jpg

Gooners lose the NLD, and we see the First Day of Arseover instead of St Totteringhams Day. During the last North London Derby at The Lane.

And then as nice as it'd be to keep Wenger and have them continue to be at war with themselves by clawing up to 4th again, the joy of watching them miss out on Champions League is just too much.

Also thanks for the lack of help, Southampton.

C'mon You Baggies and Toffees.

Also thanks for the lack of help, Southampton.

Well, at least it looked like they were trying most of the time. ;)

If Saint's manager Puel works out next season, that will be Arsenal set for their next French Manager, Everton will still have Koeman, and You guys will still be lovin' on Poch........Jebus, It's bad enough when you can't hang on to good players, but losing any half decent manager we sign too? It's getting very depressing being an also ran. :(

Thank heavens the fair play rule works out so, um fairly for the smaller clubs. :smack:

Well, at least it looked like they were trying most of the time. ;)

If Saint's manager Puel works out next season, that will be Arsenal set for their next French Manager, Everton will still have Koeman, and You guys will still be lovin' on Poch........Jebus, It's bad enough when you can't hang on to good players, but losing any half decent manager we sign too? It's getting very depressing being an also ran. :(

Thank heavens the fair play rule works out so, um fairly for the smaller clubs. :smack:

Well we all appreciate your continued cooperation as everyone else's academy/farm team. Us and Liverpool especially ;)

Also with Everton down, Pulisball seems Chelsea's only remaining challenge (in the play for a draw).

Need to win out and be extremely lucky to win the title now. However one more point and we likely take second on GD (which no one but Chelsea could possibly overtake us on) even if everyone within reach wins out. One more win and second is mathematically ensured.

I don't think there's anyone more unfairly criticized in EPL than Pogba. He's been one of the best players in the EPL this year. And he just get shat on the regular by the media.

I don't think he'd receive nearly the criticism that he does were it not for the price tag he came with. Many an entire team throughout Europe was/can be purchased for less than his sole transfer fee.

With that comes expectations, to which he has not lived up.

This commercial probably didn't help:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm forever blowing bubbles
Pretty bubbles in the air
They fly so high, nearly reach the sky
Then like my dreams they fade and die
Fortune's always hiding
I've looked everywhere
They fly so high, nearly reach the sky
Then in my dreams they fade and die
Fortune's always hiding
I've looked everywhere
west-ham-fans-bubbles1.jpg

JPW_1.jpg

Fitting way to say farewell to WHL. A shame I wasn't able to make it back to see it one more time before they tear it down tomorrow.

May not have caught up to the West End Plastics (and didn't realistically expect to) but plenty of reasons to be proud, 2nd place secured (with two left to play), above the Arse for the first time in 20+ years, our best finish in 50+ years, and I think our highest point total ever. Oh, and unbeaten at home the final season at the Lane as we know it.

Come On You Spurs!

man it must really sux to be a spudz supporter - FA Cup Final coming up & no real interest surely - if the gooners when then they would have achieved at least a cup this season - if the Blues win then it's a Double winning campaign - all I can suggest for spudz faith is to stay positive & don't walk by any Bridges

Yep. Retroactive two match ban if a committee determines the player embellished/dived and fooled the official at the time.

Of course, I'm told in ESPNFC's coverage of it two examples of bannable offenses they showed were Spurs players (didn't watch it myself, but no surprise that Dele was one of em), and like the dissention rules put in place this season, everyone is guilty to lesser or greater extents.

But some teams have a bigger pattern than others.

Back