The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well... That was a touchy game. We're looking tired and injuries are showing. Hope we get some rest for the next few days to heal up.

Thanks to Ronaldo for making sure we go through.

Gonzalez, man of the match for me. Felt much better without Cameron back there too.

#bradleyneedsahairpiece

Bradley looks weird with hair

michael_bradley_isi_photos.jpg

I do wish American commentators would stop calling this the group of death. It's not. It's just a tricky group. If not for Ronaldo, it wouldn't even be that.

Edit: slomo boobies!!!! YAY!!!

Some of it depends on how much you buy into FIFA rankings and all. It was certainly a really tough group. But I think if you were honest going into it, both the Netherlands/chile/Spain and group of champions + CR were tougher groups.

I think any time you have four teams where you look at them and wouldn't be at all surprised to see any of them make it out of a typical wc group, there a tendency to label it a group of death.

As for the game, my biggest takeaway was that Omar did what he does best (using physical tools to clean things up) without any costly mistakes. Other than that, I really have to wonder how much of an impact playing in Manaus on Sunday had. Portugal is the first team to win a game immediately after playing in Manaus.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

WOO! The scoreline was not indicative of the match. USA played excellently.

Went full on Beast-Mode
Timmy - obviously
Jones - obviously. Been the best player for us all tournament
Beasley - Seriously, way to f**king go, old man. Not only did he play solid defense but he made so many runs up the left side that made the German defenders look like they were standing still.

Did their job well
Gonzo - I know a lot of US fans hate him but he's my boy. He has the skills to keep the team in the game. He had a couple marking slips but his reaction and clearance defending were stellar.
Beckerman - I've been saying for years now that he is one of the smartest soccer minds in the game. Did everything he needed to in front of the fullbacks. Klinsmann should actually be recognized for bring him in.
Zusi - Provided opportunities from the outside, was all over the pitch waiting for an interception or tactically important tackle, and was able to take some Germans one-on-one. He wasn't his usually pin-point self on set pieces (wish Davis was still in for the corner kick in the 80th-ish minute) but made up for it in the run of play.

Meh
Davis, Bedoya, and Dempsey didn't really get too involved aside from midfield possession.

DAFUQ
Bradley - Seriously, dude... what's up with your first touch? And your passing, for that matter. Step it up. You've been our most consistent play for this entire cycle and you decide to make fundamental errors when it really matters. I'm not quite in the "bench him" bandwagon but damnit I'm teetering.

Anyone else tired of watching Bradley right now. Not sure who could replace him for better play but jesus i just want to ball to avoid him for the entire match haha.

Ahh Reno come to the dark side muhahahaha

Anyone else tired of watching Bradley right now. Not sure who could replace him for better play but jesus i just want to ball to avoid him for the entire match haha.

Ahh Reno come to the dark side muhahahaha

Never! But seriously, he's driving me crazy.

Very disappointed with Bradley right now. I feel like he keeps losing the ball. Wouldn't be suprized if he accidently buries one in the back of our own net.

An orange cone.....

I was really hoping we would see at least twenty minutes of Mix Diskerud yesterday... I think he is the future at the OMC position...

It just seems like Jurgen is a bit too cautious at times... AND everyone just keeps expecting to see the Bradley we know..... but he's been the Bradley of a few years back for this tournament...

I will say his best position really is as more of a holding or defensive center mid.. BUT at either position... his first touch is just so off right now.. it is weird as he was our best player in the three warm up matches leading up to the world cup...

If Bradley had been Bradley.... we would have beaten Portugal by at least two goals... and certainly would have had a bit more possession against Germany. We really need him to find some sharpness before Belgium. They aren't as good as Germany, but their roster is loaded with European club players.

I might have to start listening to the radio broadcasts... (mildly NSFW: language)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/itXpwCh075c?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty funny...

I did watch Olbermann on ESPN last night.... he spent the first ten minutes of his broadcast ripping the US team and soccer and the World Cup...

It was all trying to be funny.. though the jokes were not good.... I don't mind laughing at soccer and stuff I like at all... if the jokes are timely and well thought out..

Talked about how we were celebrating a loss....

I explain the group stage to people who don't understand this way....

It is a mini three game season. At the end of the three games the first and second place team make the playoffs... just like the NFL or MLB or NBA...

and just like those sports.. there are tiebreakers if teams have the same record after the season.

The USA played their easiest game first and won (of course it was still a tough team and game).... then they played their second toughest game....d should have won....but ended up with a tie...

Lastly they played their toughest match..... in the NFL it would be like finishing up your season against one of the two or three best teams in the league, while you are a team fighting just to make the playoffs...

Sometimes you make the playoffs after losing your last game of the season... it is just the way it works..

The USA played hard yesterday.... they certainly came out nervous.... and too cautious... but they sucked it up and ran and ran and ran.... you could tell that Menaus and one day less rest hurt them.. especially going up against a superior opponent.

Very proud of the team.... they deserve to go through... well done fellas.

bford: I'm sorry you had to explain all that to those dimwits, but seriously, I think the lack of knowledge and insight into the game by many people is willfull and stage managed.

This WC has been terrific so far, and it is pissing off the detractors big time. Where are all the 0-0 draws? Where are all the non-events? This WC is simply not doing the job for them. :mug:

I think most people who you assume don't like soccer really do like it. They are simply tired of 'soccer guy' telling them why they don't get it. It like hard core soccer guy thinks of you don't love it than you hate it and if you hate you are stupid. Lol. There's is a middle ground, trust me.

WC had been great! I actually re-watched the US match last night before bed. They looked better the second time because I wasn't so amped and could pay better attention to the game.

I think most people who you assume don't like soccer really do like it. They are simply tired of 'soccer guy' telling them why they don't get it. It like hard core soccer guy thinks of you don't love it than you hate it and if you hate you are stupid. Lol. There's is a middle ground, trust me.

WC had been great! I actually re-watched the US match last night before bed. They looked better the second time because I wasn't so amped and could pay better attention to the game.

This is indeed a middle-ground but LGIs and other soccer fans gripe are those who just will not let it go and continue to play the xenophobic, racist, homophobic, afraid-of-change character either by upbringing, because they're paid to say so on TV, or because they actually listen to the people being paid to say so on TV.

I've learned to ignore it, having played since I was four years old and have heard it my whole life. But as big as media and social media have become, you hear it a lot more. However, the pro-soccer and recent-converts are in much larger numbers than they used to be.

Yeah.. I've never told anyone they don't get it... and I don't mind people not liking soccer.... I just hate when people who don't like it sit there talking about how terrible and boring it is...

I LOVE baseball... all of the little things that make it great.... but I understand when people say it is slow and boring.... but when you run into those people they generally don't spend any time really hating on it...

Super Soccer Guy and Super Soccer hater are often both over the top in their arguments for and against the game.

I was really hoping we would see at least twenty minutes of Mix Diskerud yesterday... I think he is the future at the OMC position...

If JK can put BRAD DAVIS in the game and believes he has no better options, then Mix NEEDS to start against Belgium instead of Bradley. I know it won't happen, but I can hope!

I liked how they were trying to play Brad pretty far forward... there was just no possession to get him into the game... it was a good move to relieve him at halftime... he's a better offensive player than Bedoya... but we needed someone to just run and play mostly defense... so the switch was good at halftime.

Sadly, Davis didn't get to take any corners or free kicks... Zusi did... and was not good at all Tuesday. he's normally better than he was... but at both of their best, Davis is the best dead ball striker on the team....

As far as all the increased bashing that has gone on I think LGI has got it spot on. This WC has failed to fulfill a number of stereotypes that continually get trotted out against soccer/football. We've seen scoring, few draws, and some very compelling upsets. This leaves them with diving and simulation to harp on endlessly about. Heck the Wall Street Journal felt the need to rank the teams by flopping. Perhaps they'd like to rank how many minutes of a game baseball players spend scratching their jocks or how many minutes of an NFL game is actually devoted to playing (Side note: I'm not a fan of baseball but I do love the NFL)?

I think at this point rather than celebrating the fact that the US is starting to do well internationally in a sport that we're not known for they would rather continue to tow the "Let's make fun of soccer" line. They do this out of either some deliberate need to be contrary to the rest of the world (we're 'murica, we don't need your sport!) or just generally being lazy and content to spout the same crap knowing it'll get a response.

As far as all the increased bashing that has gone on I think LGI has got it spot on. This WC has failed to fulfill a number of stereotypes that continually get trotted out against soccer/football. We've seen scoring, few draws, and some very compelling upsets. This leaves them with diving and simulation to harp on endlessly about. Heck the Wall Street Journal felt the need to rank the teams by flopping. Perhaps they'd like to rank how many minutes of a game baseball players spend scratching their jocks or how many minutes of an NFL game is actually devoted to playing (Side note: I'm not a fan of baseball but I do love the NFL)?

I think at this point rather than celebrating the fact that the US is starting to do well internationally in a sport that we're not known for they would rather continue to tow the "Let's make fun of soccer" line. They do this out of either some deliberate need to be contrary to the rest of the world (we're 'murica, we don't need your sport!) or just generally being lazy and content to spout the same crap knowing it'll get a response.

Soccer will always be made fun of cause it's an easy joke for the ignorant. I would liken soccer jokes to Jersey jokes, they're tired, but for some reason it still sells. Eventually they'll become played out and people will move onto something else.

WOO! It's MLS matchday! Just about to head out and make the trip over the Sierras to Palo Alto to watch SJvLA at Stanford Stadium. It's going to be packed and these matches (dubbed California Clasico) are almost always high scoring and thrilling to the end. Plus the stadium is going to be packed. If you have NBCSN and want to check out some domestic action it starts at 7:30pm. We'll be in the corner section that'll likely be mostly white.

Latest posts

Back