The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno what was more shocking. The ref or the team. Wenger deserved every bit of the abuse he got today. Buy someone you idiot!

Dunno what was more shocking. The ref or the team. Wenger deserved every bit of the abuse he got today. Buy someone you idiot!

I think Aston Villa are going to be a pretty good team this year. Seems like Wenger always finds a way to finish 4th every year I'd like to see Rooney go there.

I think Aston Villa are going to be a pretty good team this year. Seems like Wenger always finds a way to finish 4th every year I'd like to see Rooney go there.

He'll break out the panic buying now. If we don't 4th is a pipe dream. Hell, the CL qualifier on Wednesday looks daunting given the fact that Bacary Sagna, Kieran Gibbs, Tomas Rosicky and Aaron Ramsey are all doubtful and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain might be done for the season. I would love to know wtf everyone at the club was smoking when they decided that getting shot of 15 players and bringing one in would be a solid transfer policy. Now we're left with our pants down and no one to fill in for the injured players.... it's fvcking diabolical.

This morning we've made low ball bids for every mediocre player in Europe.

This business of making absurdly low offers, in hopes that a player wants to move, and decides to raise a big fuss in order to force the move is getting old.

This morning we've made low ball bids for every mediocre player in Europe.

This business of making absurdly low offers, in hopes that a player wants to move, and decides to raise a big fuss in order to force the move is getting old.

That tactic worked when we were actually winning things or looking like we might.

Having gone 8 years without winning **** and now seeming to be in the middle of abject chaos the only thing that is going to tempt players to us and teams to sell to us is for the Scrooge McDucks running this club to part with the mountain of cash they have been swimming in....

Arsenals bids have been pretty high compared to Man U

The Nerve

Everton fan Michael Barber writes: "If the story proves to be accurate then it will be a large nail in the 'Moyesiah' coffin for Evertonians. He spent 11 years moaning about other clubs undervaluing Everton players and lack of respect (Mark Hughes and Joleon Lescott come to immediate mind) by fellow managers - however this pales previous attempts to buy Everton's best into insignificance. Given that he offered a pitiful £12 million for Baines earlier in the summer, this means that he values Fellaini at £16 million. Perhaps swoop is not a strong enough term - it is nothing short of an insult to both Everton and the players concerned."

Arsenals bids have been pretty high compared to Man U

The Nerve

Everton fan Michael Barber writes: "If the story proves to be accurate then it will be a large nail in the 'Moyesiah' coffin for Evertonians. He spent 11 years moaning about other clubs undervaluing Everton players and lack of respect (Mark Hughes and Joleon Lescott come to immediate mind) by fellow managers - however this pales previous attempts to buy Everton's best into insignificance. Given that he offered a pitiful £12 million for Baines earlier in the summer, this means that he values Fellaini at £16 million. Perhaps swoop is not a strong enough term - it is nothing short of an insult to both Everton and the players concerned."

I understand the Evertonians frustrations about the bids, but Moyes isn't beholden to them anymore. United are writing his pay checks now....

The bids are low considering the players, but United have A LOT to offer compared to Everton and this is probably more of an attempt to turn the players head and unsettle them making a move easier to engineer.

Can I get a link for the fantasy league?

Also Donovan drops some hints at moving from LA. any guesses on where he might go if he actually does leave? With his contract up, LA will have to pony up some serious cash given Dempsey's deal.

Also Donovan drops some hints at moving from LA. any guesses on where he might go if he actually does leave? With his contract up, LA will have to pony up some serious cash given Dempsey's deal.

everton he has played there before

I got the impression he was just talking about a short term loan move during the offseason, as he's done in the past. Certainly LA would offer him an extension or a better contract. I doubt a PL side would offer him that kind of money.

Where's Reno?...he'll know.

I got the impression he was just talking about a short term loan move during the offseason, as he's done in the past. Certainly LA would offer him an extension or a better contract. I doubt a PL side would offer him that kind of money.

Where's Reno?...he'll know.

You know, I'm usually a great source for Galaxy (and MLS) news but this one is a mystery to me. My guess is a loan but that's just me being hopeful. Plus he was mostly just saying that other clubs are courting him. LA could still outbid them... or at the very least make staying seem much more tempting.

Nice. That one seriously got me cracking up.

But yeah I've been staying in a hotel in Elko, NV, for work for roughly 5 months now and there's more to go. But you can bet your baby I'm not going to change my name to "Elko_eNVy" because:

A) Come on, that just sounds weird
B) Nobody envies Elko residents
C) There's no way I'm going to stay out here in BFN indefinitely
D) It would just be embarrassing to have to change my name back to Reno_eNVy once this job is over

I've been a Galaxy support from day 1. Watching Landon the past 8-9 seasons has been fun but I really think he's going to leave. He's done everything here except win the CONCACAF Champions League. I really expect him to go to Mexico. He'll make more money both in straight salary and also endorsements. That guy is hated/respected down there big time. He didn't earn the name Mexicutioner for nothing...

Don't know if Benzema's a fit for Arsenal's system, but he's a great striker.

I do feel like though if they get him it will be a temporary fix. They need to find a younger guy who'd be inclined to stay around longer like RvP was. Getting a known star isn't really their style but maybe they're willing to finally pony up the cash.

Personally I'm a little shocked they weren't on Benteke harder, seems like a fit.

Good away win for the Arsenal tonight.
We needed that.

Aygov.....benzema & di Maria? Eh?

It was a good win, but to be honest Fenerbahce wasn't that great. Either way going to Turkey and silencing the crowd does take some work.

Benzema, okay I get that. We are short in the striker department so he would improve things.

Di Maria is another playmaker who I wouldn't mind, but perhaps we could address the walking wounded at the back. At least one defender and a defensive midfielder wouldn't go a miss. Di Maria would be a nice addition, but it's not really a need. It's more of a want.

At any rate should this be true and not more paper gossip hopefully we will actually put a respectable bid in rather then faffing about like we did with Higuain and Suarez. From what I'm reading P$G are in the hunt for Di Maria as well.

Is Bale worth £93 million???

Great player but where does he line up? Can't have him and Ronaldo on the left cuz who'll defend?

I think Landon stays in LA especially with a World Cup coming up and he needs regular playing time. If he does leave, I think it will be to the Red Bulls. Henry is out of contract at the end of the season and I have not heard anything about a new one. He could be lured there with the idea of being the guy to finally give the Red Bulls a trophy and the RedBulls need to do something to keep them atop of mind as NYCFC begin to get closer and make more noise.

It's pretty much been confirmed that LandyCakes will stay in LA, having himself said he wants to finish his career with the Galaxy.

But, in huge news, Philadelphia Union have built a highschool for their academy program. That is a MASSIVE step forward for the youth development in MLS and the country as a whole. Check out the article.

Is Bale worth £93 million???

Great player but where does he line up? Can't have him and Ronaldo on the left cuz who'll defend?

My guess is that he makes Ozil expendable (Man U is already sniffing around Ozil and supposedly he's on the block. ) or he goes to the RW and they do what Bayern does and basically commit 4 players to attacking.

Though talk is that they're considering a new formation, maybe going to more of a 4-4-2 type. Would still signal the end of Ozil JMO because he's a support player but stick Bale in the left, Ronaldo at Striker or support striker, and Di Maria or whoever at RM.

BTW Man U with Ozil at support behind RvP, sick. If all they do is add Baines and Ozil they will be ready for a great season even with losing Rooney.

Modric or Ozil to Man U.
Benzema & Di Maria to Arsenal
Bale & Suarez to Madrid

That's My call.
Ronaldo - Suarez - Bale
That's a force to be reckoned with.

Modric or Ozil to Man U.
Benzema & Di Maria to Arsenal
Bale & Suarez to Madrid

That's My call.
Ronaldo - Suarez - Bale
That's a force to be reckoned with.

Along the same lines I was thinking. Potent combinations for each club listed, but with roughly a week and a half left in the window can all of that haggling get done in time?

But, in huge news, Philadelphia Union have built a highschool for their academy program. That is a MASSIVE step forward for the youth development in MLS and the country as a whole. Check out the article.

That's an awesome development. Good for them!!

Southampton have a set up like that, last week their team featured 5 academy players including two 18 year old up and comers. Players that have since left there include Bale, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain....So it clearly works!

Just one flaw in that logic, Benz and DM going Arsenal. My Gunners are not going to do a damn thing! :(

We'll do something..... like get Flamini on a free and make insulting bids for Di Maria and Benzema. When they go to P$G Arsene will say we tried.

All I can say is if we end this transfer window with nothing but two free players then Wenger can leave along with Silent Stan and Gazidis. This transfer window will have been a massive failure.

We'll do something..... like get Flamini on a free and make insulting bids for Di Maria and Benzema. When they go to P$G Arsene will say we tried.

All I can say is if we end this transfer window with nothing but two free players then Wenger can leave along with Silent Stan and Gazidis. This transfer window will have been a massive failure.

I think wenger is going to come out of this looking better then Moyes. Arsenal looked pretty good today

"Manchester United manager David Moyes has claimed he would not have stood in the way of Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini leaving the club if he was still in charge at Everton."

Man U should not allow him to speak to the press. Desperation

I think wenger is going to come out of this looking better then Moyes. Arsenal looked pretty good today

"Manchester United manager David Moyes has claimed he would not have stood in the way of Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini leaving the club if he was still in charge at Everton."

Man U should not allow him to speak to the press. Desperation

We'll see. Moyes has the benefit of inheriting a championship winning team. Whereas Wenger is under increasing pressure to deliver some silverware. I don't think Moyes is sink or swim this season, but if they're trophyless this season the weight of the world will be on him.

& I couldn't even watch it

not really digging NBC having having PL tv rights

sucks

You could have streamed it, no?

http://stream.nbcsports.com/liveextra/

I love NBC's coverage. Fox soccer was crap for me. Comcast in my area never picked up FS in HD so all the PL on there were in SD and they NEVER offered free online streaming for alternate games. There is also Extra Time as a channel, but the way Comcast offers it (On Demand and in certain markets) it is clunky as hell if you even get it. I'm happy just to have a legal outlet when they're not showing a game I want to watch on TV. If FS skipped an Arsenal game I'd end up on the internet watching some dodgy Chinese stream.

Woo! LandyCakes has signed a new multi-year contract with LA. Between LD and Keane making excellent connections up top, a fast and intelligent midfield featuring the Brazilian duo of Sarvas and Juninho, a backline that has been playing together for years, and an array of youngsters with tons of talent and potential, the LAG should be strong contenders for at least a few years.

I just hope Donovan stays mentally fit. I would be thrilled if he didn't go on loan in the off-season.

Well in the Champions League, F stand for FUBAR'ed! My Gunners got just about the worst possible draw with Dortmund, Napoli, and OM. To make it even worse Dortmund have been my second favorite team in Europe so this is just all kinds of awful for me.

Well in the Champions League, F stand for FUBAR'ed! My Gunners got just about the worst possible draw with Dortmund, Napoli, and OM. To make it even worse Dortmund have been my second favorite team in Europe so this is just all kinds of awful for me.

Don't worry Wenger dropped some big bucks and signed Mathieu Flamini

Back