Belgian Pale Ale The Hitman. Belgian Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Saison yeast
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days
Tasting Notes
A delicious hoppy saisonish beer
The Hitman

Belgian Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.066
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 7.16%
IBU (tinseth): 68.03
SRM (morey): 5.34

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - Pilsner Malt (83.3%)
22 oz - Munich Malt (11.5%)
10 oz - Cara Pale (5.2%)

HOPS:
0.63 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 29.72
0.63 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 22.84
0.63 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 15.47
0.63 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 0 min
0.63 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
Infusion, Temp: 149 F, Time: 75 min

YEAST:
Danstar - Belle Saison Yeast
Optimum Temp: 63 - 75 F

This is a slightly edited recipe for a popular hoppy belgian beer that is originally dry hopped and brewed with champagne yeast.

Ive brewed it Three times now and Ive changed to saison yeast instead. Any saison yeast will do.
If you want to dry hop it then skip the 30min addition and instead add those hops when fermentation is complete(from the original recipe).

Its a wonderful beer that should be heavily carbonated and try to get it as dry as you can. I usually increase fermentation temperature from 64-75F during the first week and then turn of the heater and leave it for 2 weeks more Before Bottling!

Just tried my latest batch. Wanted it even more light so i added some water post boil(1054-1004). And its awesome! This is just 1.5 weeks after bottling so it will mature some...

image.jpg

I was looking for a recipe similar to this with simcoe hops. Do you still brew this one often? How hoppy is it? Did you try dry hopping it?

So, i went ahead and brewed this yesterday. I held onto the 30mins additions and will dry hop them instead. Im looking forward to see how it'll turnout. I was very tempted to add a little wheat to the grain bill but i figured id try the original recipe first.

I've always liked this idea, but in my attempts to do something like this I've found that the flavor of American hops just completely drives a truck over the saison/Belgian flavors from the yeast. One just completely washes out the other. Did you manage to get a good balance of both?

So, i went ahead and brewed this yesterday. I held onto the 30mins additions and will dry hop them instead. Im looking forward to see how it'll turnout. I was very tempted to add a little wheat to the grain bill but i figured id try the original recipe first.

Hi! Sorry for not responding. Became a dad last fall so I havent had time to brew anything this psy winter. How did it turn out?

I think it works great! Havent tried combining american high alpha hops with belgian yeast in any other beers but this one sure is tasty and quite close to the original.

I'm curious what saison yeast you used to stop over 1010, I love belle but it always ferments to .998

Hi! Sorry for not responding. Became a dad last fall so I havent had time to brew anything this psy winter. How did it turn out?

No problem (congrats in becoming a dad!). Its been a week so its still fermenting, but almost done. I'll probably dry hop it next week and bottle a few days after. The hops sure smelled lovely i can't wait to see how it turs out.

Well, I just had a sample out to test the FG: its around 0.98-1.00.
Given that my OG was at around 1.065, that gives me around 8.5%! Quite stronger than I thought it'd be, but the sample tasted pretty good. Maybe a little more bitterness than I'd like in the background, but that aroma is really awesome :)
I'm bottling this Friday so within 2 more weeks I should be able to open the first bottle.

Well, I just had a sample out to test the FG: its around 0.98-1.00.
Given that my OG was at around 1.065, that gives me around 8.5%! Quite stronger than I thought it'd be, but the sample tasted pretty good. Maybe a little more bitterness than I'd like in the background, but that aroma is really awesome :)
I'm bottling this Friday so within 2 more weeks I should be able to open the first bottle.

The recipe is for this beer https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/omnipollo-leon-belgian-style-pale-ale/139809/

Its very popular in sweden, a swedish brewer who brews all his beer in belgium.
I hope your beer mellows out and that the extra abv will make it even more tasty:)
Im very jealous, i need to start brewing again! I miss the anticipation and the thrill of opening the first bottle!

Can't wait to try it cold and carbonates. Im bottling tonight, ill update in 1-2 weeks once i pop open the first one!

I just tried my first bottle! I actually did about 1 gal which was not dry hopped, only had the 60min and flame-out additions. I bottled it a week earlier so I was able to drink it tonight. Awesome!! I really loved it. I can't wait to see how the dry-hopped version compares to it, but so far, I would even brew the recipe as is, without dry-hopping or the 30min addition.

Had my first bottle of the dry-hopped batch. Pretty well carbonated already after 1 week. Its awesome. I really love. This is one I will retry again in the future. I may up the amount of hops for dry hopping next time. The Simcoe/Amarillo combo is perfect and I think even a bit more of it would come out even better.

Cheers for the recipe!

I just rebrewed this, I upped both dry hops to around 0.85 oz, and even did a side batch in a 1 gal container with just about the same amount of dry hops, so I'm very curious to see how that little test will turn out. I'll report back in a few weeks!

Latest posts

Back