The Great HBT Aspiring Author Thread!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,finished proofreading & editing this morning. I'm trying to remember what they call the page all the footnote references are listed on? Not to mention,going through & numbering names,passages,etc for said footnotes. I still gotta figure out page size vs book size,or does the site amazon uses to put the book together do that automatically? Those are about the only things holding me back atm.:confused:
*Figured out how to click on insert,go down the drop down list to text & add another file to the existing one at the point or page I choose with the cursor in Apache Openoffice 4.1.

Size doesn't matter for Kindle. If you want paperbacks printed, that's a whole different process. I'd be more than happy to provide info if needed.

I decided to go with kindle to start with. Seems to be a lot of people using them or the apps. The only problem is,kindle works with microsoft word & I'm using openoffice 4.1. But I want to go with paperbacks eventually. At least now I know how to add the separate files I was dumb enough to do to one file before converting to the .doc format. Next time,I'll start from the beginning & put it all in one file. Openoffice only goes up to word 97 for the .doc file save option,which is to say,2000 & XP. I have Vista.

Well,I just completed my info on Kindle Fire to be an author/publisher on the site! Feels good to get through some Terra Incognita at this point. Now if I can find a way to convert Openoffice .odt file format to Word's .doc format,I can upload?...

I don't know, as I am a computer idiot. I was good when we still used punch cards and paper tape.
But I'm glad you are progressing. I'm stuck around 24,000 words, though I've had some ideas lately.

I had times like that where I got the characters into a situation. It'd take days before I figured out how to resolve it. It helped me to go back & read the story up to that point. Or more research to answer questions I had about tech,etc involved in the scene.

To save an OpenOffice document as a MS Word docx format.

1 - Launch OpenOffice Writer normally. Create a new document or open an existing file.
2 - Click on "File" in the toolbar. Select the "Save As" option if you're saving a new file or if you'd like to convert an existing file to .docx format. A "Save" dialog box opens up.
3 - Name the file as desired in the "File Name" field and choose where you'd like to save it on your hard drive.
4 - Click on the arrow to the right of the "File Extension" bar. A menu drops down with several different file extension options. Click on the .docx extension to save the file in that format.
5 - Push the save button to finishing saving the .docx file in OpenOffice.

That should do it for you if you are still having trouble converting the file. Otherwise PM me and I will be happy to help out with it if I can.

Thanks. I got it to work for the Word '97 .doc format. but it messed up the spacing on a couple pages,as it popped in a little window that said everything wouldn't convert exactly. Or something to that effect. I had to fix a couple things in regard to page spacing & save it a couple more times,overwriting the previous .doc file. Checked it again & I finally got what I wanted. I gotta take my son to work before I can begin the upload process. God,I hope that part works without any complications. It's been a long,arduous journey from when I started writing it in the middle of winter to the finished product now. It'll be exciting to see how it goes from there!...
** Book is in review now on Kindle. I guess I'll see if there's any problems from this point on...

Just checked amazon this morning. It's up for sale,etc now! I'm an author! :ban:
Here's a link to the page. I hope this is OK?...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3MCU0W There's also a free Kindle reader app available on the page as well. I hope you guys enjoy it.:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I find a Kindle sort of word processor app,I can clean up & improve the look of the book. It's the first in a series that will at least be a trilogy. * Just sold my first one in the UK over the weekend!

Not on HBT but he is one of my Technicians here in AK. He sent me his first book (signed, of course) as a retirement gift. It's about the Tlingit lifestyle in Southeast AK. The title is "The House of the Frog" by Robert Adams. I can't get anybody a discount but it is $2.99 for Kindle.

Is that some sort of tribal thing? I can't proceed on my re-write/fixing some formatting issues on mine. Computer had a thermal shutdown & is getting fixed. On wife's laptop atm. After having sold only one book, I'm beginning to think my writing isn't good enough for novels. I know I'm new at this in a veritable sea of dystopian sci-fi books, but jeez...I thought extrapolating on reality might be a new angle?...

Union, I'm not tech savvy. But I've read a couple of books about writing and publishing. You might need to advertise, or get it reviewed. I know you are aware that it needs some editing. When I read a sample, I quickly got used to it, but others may find it distracting.

I haven't checked it out yet, but I will. Almost done with my current read and will pick it up.

I wouldn't worry about the confluence of seemingly similar books. A writer's style has a lot to do with how well a book sells, and much as the content. A twist or two is often all a story needs to differentiate itself from the masses.

I do agree about the editing. It can distract. My stepmom wrote a book about when she was diagnosed with cancer right after my dad died and how she dealt with it and beat it. I read a lot of reviews of the book that criticized it for spelling and grammar mistakes. She had used an inexpensive publisher and I am guessing they skipped the editing and proofreading step to save some money.

Getting reviews is also good. I am hesitant to even look at a book unless I can get a little information about it, like what other books or authors might it compare with? What makes it interesting for others? I am not usually interested in investing my time in a book that I am completely unfamiliar with. That's actually kind of sad, but there is a DEARTH of reading material out there nowadays. I need to know in general terms what the style is so I know it fits my mood.

I've read some really terrible books and enjoyed them somewhat, and I've read some classics and couldn't get through them. I even read Fifty Shades of Grey because my wife was reading them and I saw they were getting a lot of attention. What I found was a really boring, not well written, fan fiction with a few "good parts". I could see how the story might have been written to appeal mainly to the female reader, but I've read a few good books that were considered for chicks only and enjoyed them. While I couldn't claim this one was awful, if there hadn't been sex scenes, it would have remained just another of the thousands of fan fiction stories written and up loaded onto the web. It might have been somewhat better than most, but after the first chapter, which I struggled through, I ended up skimming for flesh, so to speak. not even that could save it for me and I gave up.

My point is, that even non-professional writers can sell, and it's a VERY rare bird that can fly before it falls out of the nest. Most authors need practice, and short stories and magazine articles fit that need nicely. If you don't succeed the first time, try again.

While it's never been a burning desire for me, I have entertained the notion of writing a few short stories, and have a couple of very short humourous fantasy stories from about 8 years ago. I need more quiet time than I could possibly hope for, so maybe after the kids are gone I might pick it back up as a part-time hobby. Not sure where to go to get them out there, if I ever decide to publish, but the avenues for that are out there for not much money.

Well, my biggest problem is how word .doc files don't translate well to the Kindle format. And that's the file format Kindle uses! I typed it correctly, centered the title & contents page right, & POOF! All messed up! WTF? Although it did look better in the horizontal position. My comp is supposed to be done tomorrow, so maybe then I can finally get back to work on this thing. It's only the 8th or 9th time I've gone through it!...Damn Kindle software is a joke. Use .doc file, still messes it up? Gotta figure out how to get reviews once I get it right.

I want to point out that the first couple of chapters that I read were compelling enough to keep me reading. Don't give up trying to sell your book. Continue to write. I'm sure your first homebrew wasn't your best. You wrote something interesting already, keep at it.
I think that Homercidal makes good points, well expressed. (You should write if you find the time, Homer).
Electronic publishing allows anyone to publish, but also gives readers far more choices. I've read some commercially successful books that were pretty bad, others that were moving. Anyone who wishes to write should do so, and strive for excellence.

Well, my biggest problem is how word .doc files don't translate well to the Kindle format. And that's the file format Kindle uses! I typed it correctly, centered the title & contents page right, & POOF! All messed up! WTF? Although it did look better in the horizontal position. My comp is supposed to be done tomorrow, so maybe then I can finally get back to work on this thing. It's only the 8th or 9th time I've gone through it!...Damn Kindle software is a joke. Use .doc file, still messes it up? Gotta figure out how to get reviews once I get it right.

I am not sure how the process works. Do you take a .doc file and then run it through a Kindle converter to create a Kindle book?

If so, perhaps there is a list of formatting requirements that Kindle has put out that will help you make a more compatible .doc file.

I certainly hope they at least have a help thing. You upload to Kindle viewer for review. I didn't know if it was possible to correct in the Kindle viewer. I downloaded the free viewer too. Gotta look through that stuff again now that my desktop comp is back in black. Only a week or so behind schedule with re-write...I've decided to be stubborn with it, thanks to you guys. It's hard to see your baby going through all that after so many months of work. But thanks for the encouraging words. I needed that...you don't know how how much...or maybe you do?...I'm just another old school blue collar guy with a penchant for stories & imagination trying to use his brain instead of his back for a change. I wanna make sure my family is taken care of when Ford gang rapes them when I die.

Well, I can see how writing is one thing that you fell you can do that doesn't hurt too much! I'm checking into the Kindle thing, but I don't have much time for the extra curricular right now. I'm already behind on a writing promise that I need to push some other things aside for. I've somehow lost the book I am writing a review for, and I JUST had it. It's hard to write a review without having the source right there for accuracy.

From what I can see, Kindle expects you to upload your story from any one of multiple source files types. One that they recommend is .doc or .docx. That is one of their preferred formats. They then break each one down into it's preferred formatting. There isn't much formatting necessary on any of them, so I can't see how it's going to cause a problem unless your book as images. They seem to be mentioned as the biggest source of trouble.

Otherwise it seems spacing and font size is pretty standard. I'd look into that closely and make sure you match it. And, even though openoffice and libreoffice are "compatible" with Word files, you may consider trying a plain text or RTF format just for comparison. Their converter might be looking for specific format indicators that don't come across from openoffice.

Yeah, I was thinking that something to do with formatting isn't translating properly from open office. I downloaded their viewer,so maybe some experimentation is in order before I upload the revised version. They also have a thing where if something is changed in the book & you upload it, anyone that bought it can get the new copy free, or something like that.
I used no images other than the cover I did in the paint.net program. It's really an alignment thing for me, as can be readily seen.

I hope you like it. I took a lesson from Steven King about small town America stuff. so I just write what I know. Still working on re-write. 426 pages takes a while...

Well, since life keeps getting in the way, I decided to start writing book two while re-writing book one. It's going to take a while since I can't type very fast. Two monitors would be great. Original on one, new version on the other so I don't have to keep stopping to flip back & forth. But the new revised version of book one will come out.

I'm a published author. I'm no novelist though, props to you guys. I wrote a book of poetry, more a journal of experiences than anything. I wrote it during the four years I spent in the Marine Corps, it covers everything from love to war to general world observations. It's titled "The Daily Thoughts of a Fallujah Marine".

That sounds like something people would read at least out of curiosity of the average soldier's condition. It's interesting how I can write a novel faster than I can edit & such. Just 2 1/2 chapters to re-write & It'll be ready.

Yeah I agree it's the same with me when I get in a mode where I just have a lot to get out I can sit down and start writing and it seems to just flow from the pen, and then yeah It takes twice as long to proof read it and such.

You got that right man! Besides life, family responsibilities, etc. I'll get it done by next month anyway. Then on to what copyrights I need that are still left...

I gained something interesting out of taking my son to job #2 by 11AM. Yet again, rt 254 was bogged down by a sandbagger dragging down a big line of cars, us included. So I go off on the usual rant, but this time said, " Here we go, tippy tippy tappy on the brake pedal! blah blah, yada yada...". It then hit me that, " Hey! that'd be a good title for a book on home brewing!" I say to my son. And so it started, a couple hours ago, that book number three has begun. " Tippy Tippy Tappy- A Journey Through Home Brewing". Even my wife smiled & her eyes lit up when I told her the story & showed her the title page. GOOOAAAL! I know it sounds reminiscent of Rudyard Kipling's Rikki Tikki tavi & it's likely bouncin' around up there someplace. I have read the book ages ago now. Funny how an idea can start. I thought, tipping a glass after tapping a beer. Cool. My journey through this happy madness will be in book form. Not sure when it'll be done, as I have nearly completed the re-write of book one of my Time Lords 2034 series, started book two with that. Then starting this one today. I definitely need a hit book to propel the others at least closer to the top. We'll see...

Thanks. Almost done with re-write of book one so I can start again on book 2. The homebrewing book has a good start as well. had to shorten the alternate title of it to A Journey in Home Brewing to make it fit. My home brew notes that go back to the beginning are good to use. They have anecdotal info & all that too.

Well, the re-write of book one of my Time Lords 2034 series is done! I took out a ton of copyrighted stuff. But just E-Mailed NASA for certain permissions. I just found out something about HG Wells stuff. Since my reference to his Work "War of the Worlds" was published before 12/31/22, it's in the public domain. Here's the link where I found that out; http://www.hgwellsusa.50megs.com/UK/hgwcopy.html
So it would seem no worries there. Just have to wait & see what NASA says about the small Earth pic I used in the cover art & names of spacecraft & projects. I hope they're not greedy about it?...otherwise, the re-write is ready to upload pending NASA's answer.

NASA images are public domain as long as you give credit.... I published a popular science book a couple years ago using over 250 NASA and ESA images.... No worries. You just can't use the NASA logo or imply that you stuff is affiliated with or approved by NASA. And you can't use images with identifiable people.

Here's some links to the image use policy:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/guidelines/index.html#.VBHmDSj1alk
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/imagepolicy/
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilegal/NASA_images

If you need some world building suggestion for your SF, check out my "50 Most Extreme Places in Our Solar System" www.extremesolarsystem.com

Hardcover, published by Harvard University Press, but not an academic text. Translated to German, Korean, and Japanese.

BookJacket_HUP_sm.png

Thanks man! I'll look over the link later. Cool prospects await! And I'm glad to hear the public domain nature of NASA pics. I only used the one on the cover the rest are program or spacecraft names...there's a lot of books & stuff there. Not surprised about Io, but raining diamonds on Neptune? Cha-ching!

Pretty sure that you're fine with mission and spacecraft names as well.

Since mine was non-fiction we didn't even worry about names and the topic never came up from the publisher.... The images, however, they wanted permission all signed off by the creator(s) or proof that they were public domain.

That's pretty much what I'm waiting for. At least proof of public domain so I can keep getting my 70%...besides the need for some technical accuracy/ecstasy...

Well, I uploaded version 2 of my first book a little bit ago. New, revised edition. Waiting for it to publish on kindle. So both versions will be listed for the time being. After previewing the new one, my formatting, etc looks 100% better on this one! Now to get book 2 in the series moving again while I finish the home brewing book to upload by 11/1. Busy busy busy...:ban::rockin::ban:

Back