The few things i learned in belgium...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
Last weekend i visited some breweries in belgium, bosteels, malheur, van ecke, st. bernardus. They didnt give much away but some info atleast.

bosteels dont use candi sugar in tripel karmeliet, they use clear candi sugar in kwak. Different yeasts for all their beers and they use the same yeast for bottle refermentation.

St bernardus uses another yeast for refermentation because "they dont want to give away the st sixtus yeast secret". they create the yeast at a university.
they are really expanding the already heavy industrialized brewery, with like 400%. because of the big demand in the us. And the special tokyo beer they made for their pub in tokyo was made with lower abv because "japanese people have a genetical defect so they cant handle alcohol" :) Belgians arent that political correct i guess

van ecke said they boiled their beer for 2.5 hours, sounds crazy but i asked again after the tour and the old timer who had been working there for 30 years assured me that it was 2.5 hours. He said it was from 1030-1300 everyday, i guess the time to make the wort boil was included. and they mashed in stages from 43 degrees C to 74.
oh and they used coriander for the Watou witbeer.

malheur mostly talked about the procedure of making champagnebeer.

well thats what i can remember, the whole beertrip is in a bit of a haze :p

Awesome you got to pick up some info while you were visiting! I just drank a crap ton of beer when I visited. Tripel karmeliet is one of my favorite beers that I've ever tasted! I also tried alot of local beers, almost nano/micro style brews and they all tend to be just as great as the big names.

Love Belgos, definite bucket list item.

Unfortunately, by the time I have the opportunity, there may be more great "Belgians" brewed in the US than Belgium.

I love wild brews.

We have a belgian beerclub here. We get a case of 12 .75L bottles of hard to get beers 4 times a year. From this club 33 people went on the trip. Together we sent more than 1000 liters of beer with dhl back to sweden. Cool beers like 6 liter abt 12 bottles and such. Alot of westvleteren too of course:)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400751452.847469.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back