The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last time I checked, they cost about $35 a pound to buy, probably 2018, in season.

To get them yourself probably about $90-200 per # or more, depending on method of harvest, unless your time is not worth that much and you need to get out over the cold winter mud ..... in an old outboard w a sorting trough and hopefully a hoist arm...., briggs & s motor slip winch.

If everybody dived for them, both types of scallops, instead of dragging the bottom, it would be a lot better. Commercial draggers doing damage to bottom on big scale.

I only factor those costs in when I want to talk about how much it costs me for striped bass. Since my boat is apparently made of fish repellent I’m up around $12,000.00 a pound.

The scuba stuff doesn’t count. I’d be doing that anyways, the occasional dinner is gravy.

I only factor those costs in when I want to talk about how much it costs me for striped bass. Since my boat is apparently made of fish repellent I’m up around $12,000.00 a pound.

The scuba stuff doesn’t count. I’d be doing that anyways, the occasional dinner is gravy.
Location, location…

Yes H2BM. Yet another wrong location. It’s like someone calls ahead and tells the fish. Then the scaley little bastards all gather around and amuse themselves stealing my bait and swarming under my fish finder and they laugh laugh laugh. I hates fishes to pieces.

Last edited:
Couple random thoughts:
1) Happy early Dad’s Day
2) Why does WY1007 go volcanic sometimes; and
3) The Flowering Pear tree finally has the yearly pollen poachers
65B875EA-BBCF-4761-AD99-A31D9A237DB2.png
F302F977-498F-4886-9878-84A90004DBDB.png

44745658-4EEE-455B-9136-E4329BEB9E06.jpeg
29BCBA06-CE95-4C88-8587-E2E9EB306787.jpeg
If Barbara Walters asked me if I were a tree what kind of tree I would be, I’d be a swamp oak. All gnarly and not good for much except being obstinate and cross purposed.

If I were a steak I’d be Kobe beef. Luscious, tasty, and deliciously fatty.

At least I shared some with Alice.

Last edited:
Good guesses. No.
Put the f’ing drain plug in before you leave the dock.

You avoid a major areshole pucker and jumping over the side to jam a “Thank God Alice left this stuck between a few cushions!” wine cork into the hole. Managed to make it back to the ramp and back into the trailer and spent an hour letting it drain. Then I was able to retrieve the plug from the door panel of my truck where I left it last fall and plug the ***** up.

Fark me, I’m getting kind of old for this sort of entertainment.

I've boated on both coasts and around the Caribbean, and nearly without exception there are those retired guys who wake up, have breakfast, then head out to their spots at the local boat launches for their daily entertainment :)

And I could be one of those guys if I ever quit being a boat launcher, though I'd have to locate closer to the coast for convenience. I totally know how to do that job - Lord knows I've witnessed enough boat ramp hilarity for a lifetime just waiting my turn in line, plus I have mad "uttered snark" skilz...

Cheers! :D

Ah, the days of yachting and being of the leisure class.

Sitting here waiting for the nursery truck w a shipment of trees.

Boating wise, I'm barely in the club anymore. Though the picture does not show it well, there is a nice Anthony Waterer Spirea bush growing on starboard deck, and operating costs are favorable.
IMG_2198.JPG

Good guesses. No.
Put the f’ing drain plug in before you leave the dock.

You avoid a major areshole pucker and jumping over the side to jam a “Thank God Alice left this stuck between a few cushions!” wine cork into the hole. Managed to make it back to the ramp and back into the trailer and spent an hour letting it drain. Then I was able to retrieve the plug from the door panel of my truck where I left it last fall and plug the ***** up.

Fark me, I’m getting kind of old for this sort of entertainment.

You'd have to be a real putz to sink your own boat.
Oh, wait......................

I'm willing to trade this classic '50's inboard for a working boat of any description....even yours, ;}

If you ever have rowed out to where your boat should be, and the angle the mooring float is at looks wrong.. on a cold November Sunday night.... clearly seeing ones boat has sank, looking down on the pale reflection from the bottom and knowing it is your boat......never mind.

QUOTE="paulthenurse, post: 9124279, member: 9725"]
Sweet ride.
[/QUOTE]

Speaking of the joys of boating....

Today I had the pleasure of replacing the thermostats on my '96 OMC 90hp V4 outboard. It's a famously odious task due to the location of the thermostat housing at the back of the engine and occluded by the engine baseplate. There are plenty of youtube videos showing how to do this job, but most of them cheat by cutting a chunk of the engine baseplate out to greatly ease access.

thermostats_03.jpg

Three screws hold the housing "sandwich" to the engine, and two of those screws are below the hose ports. It takes a couple of small 7/16" wrenches to get them out - no room for sockets or nut drivers or anything like that - and nearly all of the "turning" is in 1/12th rotation increments. And the screws have to come out with the housing assembly - can't back them out far enough to remove them.

Which means those screws have to be in place when re-installing the sandwich - which is spring-loaded by the high speed bypass valve springs. So you're trying to keep this thing that's coated with gasket compound pressed against the engine block while trying to get a screw started and meanwhile the springs are relentlessly trying to prevent success.

Here's the cause of all this: the thermostat on the left had rusted itself closed over the winter. Its mate still worked fine.

thermostats_01.jpg

All this stuff gets crammed into the assembly - and those are the springs trying to screw everything up!

thermostats_02.jpg

It's a nightmare, but I got it done and the engine is now quite chill :)

Cheers!

Attachments

• thermostats_02.jpg
    thermostats_02.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 2
Back