The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the flywheel puller threads the recommended way for lifting the motor? I probably would have went for the lift eye, but have not worked on outboards for many years, so what do I know. Got to drop a truck tranny today, but have lift & jack, so hopefully no drama, won't be able to brew today though.

That sounds very OMC of them.

OMC engineering goes two ways
"Why the hell doesn't everyone else do it this way"
"Why the hell does OMC do it this way and nobody else does!"

I do have to say - aside from dropping $100 on the lift kit for the privilege - it was incredibly stable through the whole effort.
So there's that.
In the end, I'd have paid Doug Russell almost exactly what the cable, lift kit and hoist rental cost.
And I was able to do it THIS year.

btw, we had a couple of really pissed off thunderboomer cells pass over in the last hour. Pretty cool. Hellacious lightning that's still pulsating the night sky...

Cheers!

The second cell took down the main line along 117 for a couple of hours.
Nbd. Fired up a hurricane lamp, set the cell to hot spot mode to keep Kindle on my tablet going, and kicked back with a beer.
I love technology...

Cheers!

Only way to be sure no one messes you at work is to be your own employer, you'll probably mess yourself up, but at least you will only have yourself to blame, and that does create an impetus to learn.

I once had a branch slide under the clutch petal while I was in reverse brush cutting on an old tractor. I could not disengage gear and a sharp branch of old white oak "antler wood" was pushing though my back when I finally killed it with the choke. Ales Chalmers D 10 "industrial" tractor, 1959. One of the last gasoline rigs I used at work, and last one without some sort of cage or rollover protection.......Since we are reminiscing.

Geesh, and it is only Tuesday, wish me luck folks!

Stay safe dude :mug:

I have a fondness for old Ford I4 farm tractors. Grew up riding horses eventually leading to competition and to help pay my way spent a lot of time riding the farm's '50s tractor. I doubt anyone had even thought up the words "roll-over bar" in those days ;)

Cheers!

Stay safe dude :mug:

I have a fondness for old Ford I4 farm tractors. Grew up riding horses eventually leading to competition and to help pay my way spent a lot of time riding the farm's '50s tractor. I doubt anyone had even thought up the words "roll-over bar" in those days ;)

Cheers!

Rolling over tractor killed my Brother in Law.. He was a logger, we always figured that or racing snowmobiles would be the gotcha. Nope. Tractor rollover.

Grew up using a Masey-Harris 22R Row Crop for the non cranberry crops, and every sort of cobbled together cranberry bog jalopy on the cranberries, it's a miracle I still have all my fingers on top of not being dead. Lots of exposed chain/sprockets on those water reels (bog beaters for harvesting) never mind the dry picking machines!

Well that's a sobering note. My condolences on that .
The only drama I ever had was not checking that the split brake coupler bracket was engaged when dragging a hay wagon down a pretty steep road. No fun when you stomp on the brake and only one wheel responds...

The upside of giant feet.. I can always stomp on both sides.

Downside, I always stomp on both sides,

Looks like PTN will be busier....

1594232603204.png

Well.. Fay snuck up on us to some extent, was a yellow circle w 10% chance in going tropical storm status next 5 days, just 48 hrs ago....Looks like it will affect you inland ,as much or more as costal, if it "goes as predicted",, LOL, as they say..

Doesn't appear to be an exciting storm by the time it gets up here. Friday night/Saturday morning look to be wet.
I need to take the boat for a check-out run, might try to get it in before the rain shows up tomorrow...

I kind of look at storm season as that old game "shoot the moon" (or something like that) where there is a round steel ball and two rods, one is supposed to try to get it as high up on the line as possible and land it in an indentation.

Anyway, whoever is playing is getting some early practice I figure.

Wow. It's 10:30 PM - and still 80°F here in our small spot of Central MA.
I just stepped out on the deck to burn one and got slammed by humidity that belongs in Flo-reeda, ffs.

On a less thick front, took the boat out to our local lake today and put it through its paces. It's a marvelous thing when a 25 year old hunk of fiberglass and cast iron work in unison on a glassy smooth lake and everything just feels right, from putting along at headway speed through the no-wake zones to flat out verging on 40 mph and ripping off a perfectly carved 360.

The swimming didn't suck at all, either :)

Cheers!

What do all you EE geniuses know about figuring out why a <2yr old GE ADEL70LW dehumidifier runs and acts fine but doesn't turn on the compressor to put the "de" into humidifier?

All engineers do nowadays is Google :)
ANd da mighty google did indeed have something more than the manual. And that something was, wait for it, unplug it wait 30s plug it back in. Great. That’s what I figuratively spend all day telling people, as an IT person. No joy.

What do all you EE geniuses know about figuring out why a <2yr old GE ADEL70LW dehumidifier runs and acts fine but doesn't turn on the compressor to put the "de" into humidifier?

Possibly a bad sensor, but much more probably lost its refrigerant due to leak due to poor construction. These days, most of the time on consumer grade products, got to buy a new unit. I'll qualify that answer by metioning I'm not a EE or a genius, don't even play one on TV.

Well given the unit is apparently running again, maybe a start relay on its way out?

Sorry for the confusion. Just the fan runs and the panel buttons function normally to read and set desired % level, see filter timer, set blower speed lo-med-hi. It's the compressor that's not coming on any more. I run the fan continuously.

The only thing I might try before giving up on something like this would be to see if you can jump the compressor to eliminate a circuit problem.

Might not even bother with that unless I felt like tinkering (which I never have time for), and buy a new one (but I'd probably save old one in one of my shipping containers for some time in the future when "I might get around to testing it")(just kidding, sort of)(well I am getting better, filled a 40 yard container w metal scrap out of my yard last year). Haha

Been running fan constantly since purchase Sept 2017. Compressor would cycle as it was required; less in winter, more in summer, as expected. Noticed it had stopped producing water output about a week ago, and the basement was beginning to feel and slightly smell more humid than "normal", as the other side of the basement dehumidifier was not keeping up for both sides.

The only thing I might try before giving up on something like this would be to see if you can jump the compressor to eliminate a circuit problem.

Might not even bother with that unless I felt like tinkering (which I never have time for), and buy a new one (but I'd probably save old one in one of my shipping containers for some time in the future when "I might get around to testing it")(just kidding, sort of)(well I am getting better, filled a 40 yard container w metal scrap out of my yard last year). Haha
Yeah, at ~$300 I would expect > 2yr lifespan (warranty is 1yr of course) but for the short term, a new one is more likely given my abilities and desire.

Yeah, at ~$300 I would expect > 2yr lifespan
Yeah you would think so. At least it's not a fridg or freezer or more importantly a beer cooler. (LOL).
I tried the google for a wire diagram, looking for some test points but as you said, "no joy".
Slightly related, I ran a shop fridg for almost a year on just a timer. the "cold control" crapped out and I bypassed it. Set timer for about 35-40% run time. It would freeze some stuff if door wasn't opened a couple times a day. as a beer fridg it worked great till it gave up the ghost completely.
Sorry for the derail,,
Joel B.

You might have been able to run shop fridge easier and have it live longer if you had off an inkbird or johnson external controller. Same principle as my glycol chiller, which is just stripped window unit running on an inkbird 308. In theory, one could do the same with a dehumidifier and one of those inkbird controls that runs off humidity. Time and controller not worth trying unless you already had one of the controllers, I'd think.

I started taking it apart, looking for something obvious. Lo and behold the compressor is actually running and getting hot, just the coils are not chilling to dew point, to me that means loss of refrigerant and beyond my desire/ability to recharge to find/fix leak. It is an ex-dehumidifier, gone on to meet its maker, joined the bleedin choir eternal.

You might have been able to run shop fridge easier and have it live longer if you had off an inkbird or johnson external controller
Yeah , maybe. I had thought about using one of those just never got around to getting one The timer worked pretty good all in all. The box developed a system leak and I chose to let die. As far as the timer or a "stat" controlling it, I doubt that would have made much difference life span wise. It would have to had run about the same amount of time either way to keep the same temp. Cycle time and thusly temp swing would have been different between the two. And I had the timer,,,,

Joel B.

Back