The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed! :mug:

We're actually about to head over to Youngest Son's Place to have an Early Mother's Day Party so his wife the Big Time ER Doc can enjoy herself as she's gotta work Sunday night. Looks like a beauty of a day for it, too...

Cheers!

We headed to Boston where #1 is currently (technically Brookline) Tis a lovely day except for stinking baseball and graduations traffic.

Another boring weather post;

Isht, frost warning in mid May. I have not had time to plant my tomatoes, peppers,, etc. Was going to do that last weekend, but ran out of time, perhaps for the best it seems. Meantime, plants are happy, in warm room w a very good grow light.

Geez, I thought at least some of you would have cold frames! 😉 No frost warning for Long Island, but it’s in the low 50s now with a breeze and expected to drop into the low 40s. Sipping an imperial stout from Spencer right now and the heat is going on in about an hour.

I'm surprised the Islands and places hard by the coast are under a freeze alert. Especially sand bars ;)

We're old, and thus traditionalists. We do lettuce and peas and carrots and radishes and herbs and squashes and cukes early as they're all seeds and can deal.
Plants like toms and peppers wait 'til Memorial Day weekend...

Cheers!

So I did a little side project on the project.

F37DDAF0-5A20-4334-95DE-8008B4892222.jpeg
DD889BA4-BC7B-4509-BDB2-64835C49AE18.jpeg
62919E07-6BDA-4938-9D04-60A283F06AA1.jpeg

Seems to be a hit with everyone, with the possible exception of MrsNurse.

That's cool, we had laying hens for the last 10 years or so, meat birds for longer. We're taking a break right now, but will probably resume next year. Can't say I mind a break at the birds, as much as they were amusing and delicious. Just wait until you have a yard full of old cull hens that have somehow became someone's pets. Hehe..

As to the cold spell, got the wood stove going, hopefully for one of the last times this season. Not too cold, but getting dank in here, I haven't used the oil heat in several years..
IMG_0127.JPG

]The fire is kind of cozy, but can live without that chore for a few months too.

Those are adorable!
The kiddies, I mean.
If they're yours, congrats, Grandpa! :mug:

As for the domesticated fowl, good luck. The neighbors that I have been giving my spent grain to for their flock of chickens and ducks started out with a dozen chickens and six ducks and are down to 2 chickens and zero ducks. Between the fox, 'yotes, hawks, owls, and even the 'coons, the predation around here is crazy...

Cheers!

Hey, don't be sad Hoppy, they lived very full lives, I got them for free and used one of them for years, and I only have one chimney.

I'll likely be running this jotul for rest of my, or its, life, hehe... I bought it new in 08, so it is truly mint.

Boat ramps are great for entertainment, but don't forget, once the boats off the trailer, someone has to go park the truck and trailer. That can be just as entertaining!

We use to be the aholes that would hold up score cards once the boat was off the trailer!

lol! on the score cards. That's hard core 🤣

I have helped untangled tangled trailers in launch lots are few times now. I keep a 1/2" socket wrench set with a breaker bar in my Durango to undo big-ass u-bolts when necessary...

[edit] Oldest Son and family are coming up for the weekend and I'm planning on taking them on a putt down the Charles out to Bahstan Hahbah and Spectacle Island for a walk-about then head over to Fort Point Channel for a late lunch/early dinner at The Barking Crab. Weather looks favorable from here...

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have helped untangled tangled trailers in launch lots are few times now. I keep a 1/2" socket wrench set with a breaker bar in my Durango to undo big-ass u-bolts when necessary...

I'm trying to picture tangled trailers, and how undoing U bolts would be involved in fix.

I've seen the amusing videos of the launch ramps. The only times I've used a public launch ramps has been with bigger boats that don't get pulled out daily. Timing the tide is crucial but also best to go when the day trippers are not around.

Isht, I typed daytripper in reference to daily boat haulers, and realized could be construed as dig to replyee. Be assured, no offense intended. But it is sort of funny.

Yeah, I know it is only Wed, but it has been a coulple of challenging days under the truck lift....

I'll provide an example: there's a lovely public boat launch on the Charles River in the hamlet known as Nonantum with a pretty tight lot. One day the Spousal Unit and I were in the ready line and watched as someone who might have been trying to jump the line snagged the end of a parked trailer with their left most wheel fender which not only got bent to **** but the U-bolts holding the left side of the axle slipped and the left wheel was a good foot behind the right.

As you might imagine that made the trailer track quite badly, which along with the evident skills of the owner made that rig a menace to everyone...

Cheers!

When I was a kid, my dad would periodically take us boys down to the river after work for water skiing. Often, a buddy from work came along.
One evening as we returned to the launch, we couldn’t believe our eyes as we saw a vehicle so far back in the water that the waves were breaking on the back glass; near the top!
Turns out, the fellow had a snoot full and didn’t realize anything was wrong until water started running in around his ankles as he backed his trailer in to retrieve his boat. He got so far back in the river that what finally stopped him was the radiator fan kicking up water into the distributor and killing the engine. Even after drying it out (my dad’s buddy sacrificed his white t-shirt), and getting it started, it still wouldn’t budge as the rear of the car had become just buoyant enough to deter traction on the submerged concrete. Fortunately, a fellow showed up with a 4-wheel drive, (a very rare thing in our area back then) and pulled him out.
The discussion on the way home was whether we really should have helped the guy out of the river and onto the highway in his condition. On the other hand, he had the single lane boat ramp blocked for us all until we got him out of the way. 🤷🏼‍♂️

in Flanders fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunsets glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with our foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Well...maudlin for a beer brewing group, perhaps.
But historic, and if the present doesn't acknowledge the past, repetition could well be in store.
And that would suck for everyone...

Cheers!

That's a good question, is this the original Armistice day, or is it sort of folded together these days as a remembrance for all those who served & died?

WW1 was by most accounts started as sorting out some squabbles that went back to the middle ages amongst some royal inbred families. Why the USA, and even England and France, got into it is not a mystery, but defiantly an avoidable and tragic blunder.

In any case, it is important to honor those who have died in their service, no matter what war they were sent into.

For better or worse, history will continue to echo, if not repeat itself. We evolved for hundreds of millennia in violence and struggle. As a species, it is unrealistic we can change our ways with just a few generations of flush toilets, the UN, and relatively easy money. [;

I give my crew a paid day off in any case, we all need a little rest from getting ready for the onslaught.

Back