The dreaded 17 year Cicadas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Wow, those things are noisy! It sounds like war of the worlds outside my house. It's a good thing their harmless or we'd be screwed. Anyone else have these noisy critters?

They were out last year by me. Luckily none near my house since it is a new development, but my parents house was swarmed with them.

I remember them from my childhood. Don't have them out here & if we did, I suspect the moles would eat most of the larva. At least in my meadow!

Oh I love them! They're hilarious. They have to be the worst fliers ever, just bumping into stuff. I haven't heard any here yet, but their sound reminds me of summer.

We get these giants wasps which kill cicadas:

more_killers_hand_35-753343.jpg

Those ba$tard$ were out in IL last summer when I visited for a wedding. I couldn't believe the noise they put out.

Greg

We get these giants wasps which kill cicadas:

more_killers_hand_35-753343.jpg

Holy freaking Jesus. Those are some big wasps. They have big ole honkin wasps by my grandmas house in Kentucky, but they are just really long. Otherwise they look like a normal wasp. I have never seen a wasp like that. Wow.

Oh, and no, no cicadas here yet.

There's millions of them around Indiana. You can't get away from that noise, and their bodies completely cover the ground. They fall out of the trees and onto your head and shoulders if you're not careful.....creepy! Good thing they don't bite, or it'd be like Night of the Living Dead....

Back